Motorhome alarm?

Old January 16th 08, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Colin[_2_]

Default Motorhome alarm?

I have an old 1994 Diesel camper (Ford Transit Coach built) which is
pre factory security systems so I need to fit one, and if I am fitting
one it might as well be an alarm rather than immobiliser only!

I'd like it Thatcham approved but in that case I think the alarm
(Cat1) needs to be fitted by an installer (with certificate) although
I think the immobiliser (Cat2) is OK as a DIY. I used to fit security
systems many years ago so I roughly know the gist about fitting one.

What I'd like to know is if any of you have fitted, or had one fitted
to a camper and what system did you use? Reluctant to use sensors as
there are only three doors and it's doubtful anyone would bother with
the windows, unless of course you know otherwise?

TIA for all your ideas and tips.

Old January 17th 08, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Colin" wrote in message
I have an old 1994 Diesel camper (Ford Transit Coach built) which is
pre factory security systems so I need to fit one, and if I am fitting
one it might as well be an alarm rather than immobiliser only!

I'd like it Thatcham approved but in that case I think the alarm
(Cat1) needs to be fitted by an installer (with certificate) although
I think the immobiliser (Cat2) is OK as a DIY. I used to fit security
systems many years ago so I roughly know the gist about fitting one.

What I'd like to know is if any of you have fitted, or had one fitted
to a camper and what system did you use? Reluctant to use sensors as
there are only three doors and it's doubtful anyone would bother with
the windows, unless of course you know otherwise?

I disconnected my alarm, they're simply not appropriate on a campsite. With
the best will in the world you will get a false alarm in the middle of the
night and, during the day in a car park, everyone ignores it. Get an
immobiliser if you must maybe with a tracker but, apart from when they're
parked right outside your house, an alarm is IMHO next to useless.

Rgds

Andy R

Old January 17th 08, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gary G Jones[_2_]

I have to agree with Andy, the alarm will be next to useless most of the
time unless its actually you that hears it going off, if not its ignored by
everyone else anyway.
I would go along the route of a mechanical switch immobiliser, as this will
at least stop it being driven away, plus it does not use any battery power
when parked up in storage.

GGJ

Old January 25th 08, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

"Colin" wrote in message
I have an old 1994 Diesel camper (Ford Transit Coach built) which is
pre factory security systems so I need to fit one, and if I am fitting
one it might as well be an alarm rather than immobiliser only!

I'd like it Thatcham approved but in that case I think the alarm
(Cat1) needs to be fitted by an installer (with certificate) although
I think the immobiliser (Cat2) is OK as a DIY. I used to fit security
systems many years ago so I roughly know the gist about fitting one.

What I'd like to know is if any of you have fitted, or had one fitted
to a camper and what system did you use? Reluctant to use sensors as
there are only three doors and it's doubtful anyone would bother with
the windows, unless of course you know otherwise?

TIA for all your ideas and tips.

As others have said, hidden switch to immobilise and a steering wheel lock
or similar as a visual deterent.