Spacers

Old January 16th 08, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry[_4_]

Default Spacers

Hi
I wish to to move my AL-KO towball further away from
the car bumper by fitting two 25mm spacers between
towbar plate and towball.

Can anyone see a problem or risk by doing so ?

All opions welcome please.

Many thanks.
Baz

--
Don't get to friendly with the neighbours.
You never know when you've got to upset

Old January 16th 08, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

"Barry" wrote in
:

I wish to to move my AL-KO towball further away from
the car bumper by fitting two 25mm spacers between
towbar plate and towball.

Can anyone see a problem or risk by doing so ?

If you must and can lawfully do it, you'd probably be better with one 50mm
spacer than two 25mm spacers. However, you might not be able to do what you
want lawfully. If you have a type-approved towcar (S-reg or later EU-spec
car) you must only fit an approved towbar and may not modify that unless
those modifications are also approved for that towbar and car. AFAICT, many
towbars permit no more than 25mm of spacers (to permit fitting stabiliser
car plates, bike carriers, etc.) between the towbar and the flange of the
towball. So if you have a type-approved car you'll need to check how much
spacing is permitted.

If you haven't got a type-approved car, you can fit what you want provided
you don't end up with an unsafe vehicle -- so, you'll still need to tread
warily. However, there are some where fitting a 40mm or 50mm spacer is
usual (e.g. Mk 2 Pajeros where a 50mm spacer lets you use an Al-Ko
2004/3004 hitch head without needing to replace the standard handle with
Al-Ko's "4x4 kludge").

HTH,

--
Geoff
Old January 16th 08, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Barry wrote:
Hi
I wish to to move my AL-KO towball further away from
the car bumper by fitting two 25mm spacers between
towbar plate and towball.

Can anyone see a problem or risk by doing so ?

All opinions welcome please.

Many thanks.
Baz

If your tow bar needs to comply with the 94/20/EC directive i.e. tow
vehicle first registered on or after 1st August 1998 and is not
'commercial' it's unlikely that the use of 50mm of spacer is covered by
the tow bar certification. Most, but not all, Land Rover tow brackets
permit such a spacer pack but they are definitely the exception. Some
tow bars are certified for use with a thinner spacer pack. Check with
the tow bar manufacturer if you need to.

If the 1998 date doesn't affect you it's a bit of a judgement call
depending amongst other things on the trailer being towed: if very light
you have more leeway than for 3500 kg of trailer. The problems lie in
increased torque being applied to the tow bar structure and in bending
stresses in the ball attaching bolts. If there's doubt or you're not
qualified to judge, forget the idea: even the AL-KO ball's comparatively
cheap.

The standard ball still may not allow sufficient roll articulation to
meet AL-KO's specification if that bothers you.

There has been much previous discussion of this topic here. Search past
posts. Expect to receive howls of disapproval in follow-up posts!
Old January 17th 08, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry[_4_]

"Barry" wrote

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message

If you must and can lawfully do it, you'd probably be better with one 50mm
spacer than two 25mm spacers.
--

Geoff

Hi Geoff and Dougal.

Many thanks for both your replies.

After reading both your replies s I thinks I'm going to invest
in a new towbar all together.

The reason I posted the query in the first place was for this
reason.
Only purchased the car month or so back (Sorento) and did
not like the look of the towbar//ball setup at first sight.

The previous owner has already carried out what I consider
a real bodge up of a job extending the towball away from the
bumper and I wound'nt trust it towing a barrow let alone my caravan.

It's a job to explain what he has done but believe me removing it and
replacing with 50mm spacer would be a 100 times safer and better job.

As you have pointed out it would be illegal on a 54 reg to modify or fit
spacers ,the only safe option is to go new.

Again thankyou both for advice and info,much appreciated.

Barry.