French Toll Roads - Credit/Debit cards

Old January 26th 08, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Default French Toll Roads - Credit/Debit cards

Its been a couple of years since we crossed the channel with the caravan but
intend to change that this year. Previously have paid tolls in cash but
would like to try plastic. Looking at group posts experience seems to vary -
it appears to work for some but not others. Care to share your recent
experience of using plastic at the toll booth's?

Mike

Old January 26th 08, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Mike" wrote in message
Its been a couple of years since we crossed the channel with the caravan but
intend to change that this year. Previously have paid tolls in cash but would
like to try plastic. Looking at group posts experience seems to vary - it
appears to work for some but not others. Care to share your recent experience of
using plastic at the toll booth's?

Mike

We were in France 2006 with no problems on the tolls with Mastercard or Visa

All though they didn't like the UK chip and pin cards in Calais when the petrol
station was closed on a Sunday morning

It may have altered by now

DieSea

Old January 26th 08, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Mike" wrote in message
Its been a couple of years since we crossed the channel with the caravan
but intend to change that this year. Previously have paid tolls in cash
but would like to try plastic. Looking at group posts experience seems to
vary - it appears to work for some but not others. Care to share your
recent experience of using plastic at the toll booth's?

Mike

Mike,
We used Visa all the way to the south and back last September. Worked a
treat both in the manned and unmanned booths.
Regards.
Dave.

Old January 26th 08, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Susan Edge

Hi Mike

We were in France August and used visa delta no problem with any of the
tolls we have also used cash in the past but this eliminates all the change
probs much better

Old January 26th 08, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

Mike uttered summat worrerz funny about:
Its been a couple of years since we crossed the channel with the
caravan but intend to change that this year. Previously have paid
tolls in cash but would like to try plastic. Looking at group posts
experience seems to vary - it appears to work for some but not
others. Care to share your recent experience of using plastic at the
toll booth's?
Mike

Post Office Master card - you don't pay commision either on the transactions
which is nice :-)

Lee D

Old January 27th 08, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Mike" wrote in message
Its been a couple of years since we crossed the channel with the caravan
but intend to change that this year. Previously have paid tolls in cash
but would like to try plastic. Looking at group posts experience seems to
vary - it appears to work for some but not others. Care to share your
recent experience of using plastic at the toll booth's?

Mike

In all the years we have been going to France we have generally used a
credit card for tolls without any problems. You don't even need to sign!

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old January 28th 08, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Thank to all. Looks like we will be using a card.
BTW As you havent been required to provide a pin or signature I take it you
are going to the manned (as opposed to credit card) booths ?

Mike

Old January 28th 08, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Smiler 2

"Mike" wrote in message
Thank to all. Looks like we will be using a card.
BTW As you havent been required to provide a pin or signature I take it
you are going to the manned (as opposed to credit card) booths ?

Mike

Snip

Last year we came across two minor (just one barrier) exits that were
unmanned, both accepted a card, not sure which one but suspect it was a
mastercard.
However I did notice that there was a press button for assistance. If your
french is not up to scratch it might be worth preparing a 'speech' or just
wait for a local.

Cheers Smiler

Old January 29th 08, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Foster

"Mike" wrote in message
Its been a couple of years since we crossed the channel with the caravan
but intend to change that this year. Previously have paid tolls in cash
but would like to try plastic. Looking at group posts experience seems to
vary - it appears to work for some but not others. Care to share your
recent experience of using plastic at the toll booth's?

Mike

We always use Visa, no probs. Our pop-top is 1m 98 high so we go through
the height-restricted booths.

As an aside, we use Nationwide Visa abroad, as no additional charges on
currency conversion, and the CC Visa here (for the free night site vouchers.

Keith