Electrolux Gas Fridge Model RM360 - lighting problems

Old January 27th 08, 02:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neville MADDEN

Default Electrolux Gas Fridge Model RM360 - lighting problems

Good morning everyone

I have just acquired a 4 mr Australian built caravan with an Electrolux Model
RM360 gas fridge. The van is about 20 years old.

My problem is that the fridge runs great on 240V (so the gas levels and
system work) but I can'tcseem to be able to light the gas. The piezo switch
seems to click but I can't see any sparking in the prism window. nor can I
smell any gas. (The cooktop burners work OK).

I can access the back of the fridge via a lackable exterior door and there
seems to be an aperture that the cas may be lit throug using somethink like a
taper. But before doing anything I thought I would ask the group .

To jog members memories the instructions are.....

Turn Knob A to gas

Set gas thermostat to 4

Pull knob D for 10 seconds

Push E repeatedly

Hold knob D for further 15 secs after burner lights.

I have checked the web for indo and the only thing I can find is a US
repair manual.

Appreciate any help or suggestions

Neville
Cootamundra NSW
Australia
Old January 27th 08, 02:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neville MADDEN

In article , (Neville MADDEN) wrote:
Newsgroups: uk.rec.caravanning
From:
(Neville MADDEN)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 03:22:09 GMT

[...]

Sorry ....I didn't spell check my original submission here's try # 2

Good morning everyone
I have just acquired a 4 mr Australian built caravan with an Electrolux Model
RM360 gas fridge. The van is about 20 years old.

My problem is that the fridge runs great on 240V (so it is not low on gas and
the van is level) but I can't seem to be able to light the gas. The piezo
switch seems to click but I can't see any sparking in the prism window, nor
can I smell any gas. (The cooktop burners work OK).

I can access the back of the fridge via a lockable exterior door and there
is an aperture that the may allow the gas to be lit, using something like a
taper. . But before doing anything I thought I would ask the group .

To jog members memories the instructions are.....

Turn Knob A to gas

Set gas thermostat to 4

Pull knob D for 10 seconds

Push E repeatedly

Hold knob D for further 15 secs after burner lights.

I have checked the web for info and the only thing I can find is a US
repair manual for this model fridge.

Old January 27th 08, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Neville
MADDEN writes
[...]

B4 dismantling fridge check that gas supply (to fridge) is actually
switched on.
--
hugh
Old January 28th 08, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Neville MADDEN" wrote in message
In article ,
(Neville MADDEN) wrote:
Newsgroups: uk.rec.caravanning
From:
(Neville MADDEN)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 03:22:09 GMT

[...]

http://www.kitchenmanuals.com/manual...60_rm1300.html

Might help.

Cheers

Old January 29th 08, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

[email protected] home wrote:

"Neville MADDEN" wrote in message

Good morning everyone

I have just acquired a 4 mr Australian built caravan with an
Electrolux Model
RM360 gas fridge. The van is about 20 years old.

My problem is that the fridge runs great on 240V (so the gas levels
and system work) but I can'tcseem to be able to light the gas. The
piezo switch
seems to click but I can't see any sparking in the prism window. nor can
smell any gas. (The cooktop burners work OK).

Neville
Cootamundra NSW
Australia

http://www.kitchenmanuals.com/manual...60_rm1300.html

Might help.

Cheers

To the OP. Are you sure that there isn't an isolator tap in the gas line to
the fridge which may need to be turned on?

In any event, when a fridge hasn't been used for a while, it can take a
*long* time for gas to reach it - so you may need to hold the over-ride
button down for quite a long time (like a couple of minutes of more). It
often helps to run other gas appliances (cooker, space heater if fitted,
etc.) first in order to purge the common parts of the gas lines.

It's not always easy to see the spark - particularly in good daylight. It's
easier in the dark, but even so, you have to look in exactly the right
direction - which may require you to be a contortionist! So the fact that
you can't see a spark doesn't *necessarily* mean that it isn't sparking.

Good luck!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 30th 08, 02:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neville MADDEN

http://www.kitchenmanuals.com/manual...660_rm760_rm13
[...]

Thanks David and Rodger,

David's link was dead but it gave me enough info to track down a service and
installation manual so now I can service it and check what is happening.

The idea of purging is also worth following up. I just lit the burners for a
few secs to test them.. It is 36Deg C here today so I'll leave messing with
it till tonight when it will be a bit cooler.

Neville
Cootamundra NSW
Australia