CRV/RAV4/Grand Vitara

Old January 27th 08, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gareth Watkins

Default CRV/RAV4/Grand Vitara

Hi Folks
We are still undecided about a new tug to replace our Mitsubishi (absolute
lack of) Carisma.
We have roughly narrowed it down to the three above although I still fancy a
short wheel base Shogun/Pajero but common sense says it's going to be a bit
juicy as a solo care in every day use.
We only have a budget of about 3K so the CRV, RAV4 and Grand Vitara are the
more sensible options although the CRV only comes in petrol guise for our
price bracket and whilst the RAV4 did come with a diesel they are few and
far between. There seems to be a few Grand Vitara diesels around but I don't
know much about their build quality or reliability issues. What I AM
wondering though is what all three would be like as tugs. We have a 1200kg
van so don't need anything too big and, before you all say it, it DOES have
to be a small forbie as thats what my good lady wife wants! She fell in love
with the Freelander we had a couple of years ago but I flatly refuse to buy
another one as it was the biggest pile of steaming efluence I have ever
owned for reliability and build quality. I lost count of the amount of bits
of plastic that kept falling off and when the back door handle snapped off
in my hand I decided it was time to retire the thing.
So, it's the japs for me. So if anyone has experience or opinions on the
three jap fourbies above then I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Many thanks all.

Gareth

Old January 28th 08, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
g6zru

On 27 Jan, 14:33, "Gareth Watkins" wrote:
[...]

I don't know much about the latest (post 05) model RAV4 but I had five
of the earlier ones. I only changed because I didn't like the look of
the latest version.
I only ever towed a small sportscar on a twin axle car transporter but
the last one I had achieved 42MPG overall over 2 years motoring. It
dropped to 35MPG when towing. This was petrol, I agree Diesel ones
are hard to find but if I remember accurately it was only quoted at
33MPG overall.
It was a comfortable car and had very flexible engine,if you booted it
the consumption suffered but you didn't have to. These were all five
door versions with the 2 litre VVTI engine. Be aware that there are
also 2WD versions with a 1.8 litre engine.

I test drove the CRV a couple of times but always stayed with the RAV.
I also drove the Grand Vitara but didn't like it.