travels with our Labrador

Old January 29th 08, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Susie Thompson

Default travels with our Labrador

We have a three year old yellow Labrador dog called Sam who is very fit
and weighs around 6 stone. We also have a Marquis Lancashire motorhome,
which is the Marquis conversion of the 2003 Autosleeper Nuevo.

When he's in our car, Sam sits in the boot, the other side of the fixed
dog guard - he loves looking out of the windows and watches everything
that's going on. He doesn't often curl up and go to sleep.

We are taking him away for a few nights in our motorhome for the first
time in a couple of weeks time. There has to be a way of "anchoring"
Sam and keeping him/us safe.

What solutions can other motorhome owners who have large dogs suggest?
He's well behaved and obedient, not a hooligan, this is safety first for
all of us.
Susie
--
Susie Thompson
If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon!
Old January 30th 08, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane[_2_]

Susie Thompson wrote in
:

We have a three year old yellow Labrador dog called Sam who is very fit
and weighs around 6 stone. We also have a Marquis Lancashire motorhome,
which is the Marquis conversion of the 2003 Autosleeper Nuevo.

FWIW, we have a seven-year-old Labrador bitch who is very fit and weighs
about 30kg. We have a trailer caravan and the boot of the towcar is taken
up with stuff we'd rather not carry in the 'van, so she travels in the
second row of seats strapped into a harness that is held in place by a seat
belt. You could use the same sort of harness to hold Sam securely in any
designated seat, or attach the harness to a convenient anchor point and let
him travel on the floor behind the cab seats.

This achieves two things:
1. Sam won't be able to distract the driver while on the move;
2. In the event of an accident, the harness will help protect Sam from
injury and prevent him from becoming a "missile" to injure you.

Typical harness is shown on the front cover of RoSPA's leaflet:
http://www.rospa.com/road/pdfs/pets.pdf

HTH,

--
Geoff
Old January 30th 08, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
caroline

"Susie Thompson" wrote
We have a three year old yellow Labrador dog called Sam who is very fit
and weighs around 6 stone. We also have a Marquis Lancashire motorhome,
which is the Marquis conversion of the 2003 Autosleeper Nuevo.

[...]

We are taking him away for a few nights in our motorhome for the first
time in a couple of weeks time. There has to be a way of "anchoring" Sam
and keeping him/us safe.

What solutions can other motorhome owners who have large dogs suggest?
He's well behaved and obedient, not a hooligan, this is safety first for
all of us.
Susie

Agree with Geoff's harness recommendation, and another option is a dog crate
or pet carrier (travel box). This can double up as his bed at night time.
My largest dog crate (I have *6* dogs, and 4 crates of varying sizes) is
4'x'3'x3' and would easily fit at least 2 dogs the size of your fella for
the sake of safe, secure transportation, and it fits easily in my little old
VW camper while we're travelling ;o)

As far as I am aware, to stay the right side of legal, the dog needs to be
restrained when travelling anyway...happy to be corrected on this.

Old January 31st 08, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Susie Thompson" wrote in message

We are taking him away for a few nights in our motorhome for the first
time in a couple of weeks time. There has to be a way of "anchoring" Sam
and keeping him/us safe.

We ended up with a bigger 6 berth motorhome because of the dogs!!!!

Actually weve travelled all over the UK with 2 x 20kg dogs and 2 syrian
hamsters, and laterly with the 2 cats.

The 2 dogs have 1 side facing sofa and are connected to completely shortened
lap belts connected to their full harnesses. I stops them wandering and
also they dont become lethal projectiles. The harnesses come with varying
fittings for seat belt hook up.

The cats travel on our sofa in padded cat boxes. The lap belts clip
tighttly round the boxes and through the handles. Ive added non slip matting
under each as well.

The hamsters travelled ( not at the same time as the cats) in their cages
with everthing movable power velcro'd so no sliding igloo or food dish. We
added anchor points to the base of the l-shaped sofa and bungied the cages
in the angle.

And yes we know we are mad!!!

)

Old January 31st 08, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:01:09 +0000, Susie Thompson
wrote:

We have a three year old yellow Labrador dog called Sam who is very fit
and weighs around 6 stone. We also have a Marquis Lancashire motorhome,
which is the Marquis conversion of the 2003 Autosleeper Nuevo.

We've a Black Lab, 35 Kg (around the same weight)

When he's in our car, Sam sits in the boot, the other side of the fixed
dog guard - he loves looking out of the windows and watches everything
that's going on. He doesn't often curl up and go to sleep.

Ours does tend to lie down whilst travelling in either the car or
motorhome.

We are taking him away for a few nights in our motorhome for the first
time in a couple of weeks time. There has to be a way of "anchoring"
Sam and keeping him/us safe.

Ours travels under the table (we've a half-dinette with pilot seats)
on a *BIG* cushion type dog bed which fills the full floor space.
Effectively he's got the side wall, the base of the pilot seat and the
base of the fixed seat around him and he's as low down as possible.

He's travelled that way for several thousand miles with us
(as far as Slovenia).

-- jjj

Old January 31st 08, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jules

wrote:

[...]

Im again taking my dog ( a small old, ugly dog) around Europe, and this time
im going through Slovina...

-- jjj

Old February 1st 08, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

[...]

We have a Staffy and a Cocker Spaniel and stick them both together on the
floor in a Pet Tube from these people http://www.dog-bag.co.uk/dbgintro.html

Old February 2nd 08, 02:39 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Hilary

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

the
floor in a Pet Tube from these people
http://www.dog-bag.co.uk/dbgintro.html

The dog "tents" look ideal for our tenting friends. Thanks for that link.
Seem reasonably priced as well.

)

Old February 2nd 08, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Susie Thompson

In message , Hilary
writes

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

the
floor in a Pet Tube from these people
http://www.dog-bag.co.uk/dbgintro.html

The dog "tents" look ideal for our tenting friends. Thanks for that
link. Seem reasonably priced as well.

)

Thanks everyone for all the stories and suggestions. I think that we'll
be buying a harness and anchoring him at floor level for safety. Isn't
it amazing just how far dogs travel in their moto rhomes? It's unlikely
that Sam will venture beyond the UK - I wonder which dog's been furthest
from home? Sam would love to know.

Thanks all
Susie
--
Susie Thompson
If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon
to email me replace "deadspam" with my name
Old February 2nd 08, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Josiah Jenkins

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 10:52:59 +0000, Susie Thompson
wrote:

snip

I wonder which dog's been furthest from home ?

Sireadh, Black Labrador Dog
In 2006 (he was 2.5 years old)

Glasgow, Scotland Ljubljana, Slovenia
Round trip approx : 5,800 Km or 3,600 miles

He was also with us in 2007 when we covered
6,200 Km or 3,850 miles in Benelux & Germany.

Sam would love to know.

-- jjj