LHD camper woes and 40MPG! wow.

Old February 1st 08, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Terry[_5_]

Default LHD camper woes and 40MPG! wow.

3000kg class IV (PLG) import based on Ford 2.5DI driven sensibly (top
speed 60ish) has just returned 40+MPG.......!! I was hoping
optimistically to get about 30mpg, but 40 is a real plus )

The downside is pulling away from roundabouts and junctions that have
markers that are not square, designed so you sort of swerve in with
the flow when pulling away. This means in a LHD the right side is
often completely obscured unless you pull 15ft short of the junction,
which obviously pleases those behind! Fine when you have a passenger
but downright dangerous otherwise.

What do you guys with LHD do?

TIA.
Old February 1st 08, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roland Messerschmidt

Hi,

Terry schrieb:

The downside is pulling away from roundabouts and junctions that
have markers that are not square, designed so you sort of swerve in
with the flow when pulling away.

Sorry, but English isn't my mother tounge, so it isn't good enough to
follow all your argumentation (what are sqare markers?)

What do you guys with LHD do?

Living on the continent LHD is normal to us! ;-)
But to answer your qustion, driving our LHD motorhome in GB never was
a problem to me.

Of couse in every car you have what we call "dead angles", areas, you
can't see from the driver's seat. It's no difference if this is a
motorhome, or a lorry type car with sheet metal instead of the rear
windows.
And in 50% of the problematic situations it would be better to sit -
without copilot... - on the left side of the car, the other 50% on the
right side. No matter if you are driving in GB or the continent.

And your first paragraph reads like you have a new motorhome, so all I
can promise is that you will get used to it! Rather tomorrow, than the
day after tomorrow... ;-)

Roland
(Austria)

Old February 1st 08, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jules

"Roland Messerschmidt" wrote in message
Hi,

Terry schrieb:

The downside is pulling away from roundabouts and junctions that
have markers that are not square, designed so you sort of swerve in
with the flow when pulling away.

Sorry, but English isn't my mother tounge, so it isn't good enough to
follow all your argumentation (what are sqare markers?)

I think he means, when he comes to a junction or roundabout, he is not
facing straight ahead, so vehicle is facing away, so RHD he can see, but
LHD, maybe cannot see with his head turned because the side window doesnt
show the cars coming (from the right here in UK)

[...]

Hallo Roland, mein schrieben Deutche, es ist nicht gute, aber.....In Apr,
ich reiesn mit meinen hunde, von England-Italy, Austria...nord etc aber fuer
Deutschland und Denmark, ich gehn ....ah ich bin sehr muede jetzt...sorry
now Englisch.

If i was to spend 24 hours in Austria, where would you recomend? i am very
old, 37, so would like places of history, but i have trouble to walk, (ich
habe krank) places of where not normal for tourists....something a little
differant
cheers

Old February 2nd 08, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Terry[_5_]

Terry schrieb:

The downside is pulling away from roundabouts and junctions that
have markers that are not square, designed so you sort of swerve in
with the flow when pulling away.

Sorry, but English isn't my mother tounge, so it isn't good enough to
follow all your argumentation (what are sqare markers?)

I think he means, when he comes to a junction or roundabout, he is not
facing straight ahead, so vehicle is facing away, so RHD he can see, but
LHD, maybe cannot see with his head turned because the side window doesnt
show the cars coming (from the right here in UK)

This is correct. I seem to recall in Europe they don't have this
problem as the junctions are always pretty square on, or used to be,
but then they used to be ok over here in the UK.

This must be a terrible problem for LHD drivers coming to the UK from
mainland Europe, especially in Lorries etc.

What do you guys with LHD do?

Living on the continent LHD is normal to us! ;-)
But to answer your qustion, driving our LHD motorhome in GB never was
a problem to me.

Of couse in every car you have what we call "dead angles", areas, you
can't see from the driver's seat. It's no difference if this is a
motorhome, or a lorry type car with sheet metal instead of the rear
windows.
And in 50% of the problematic situations it would be better to sit -
without copilot... - on the left side of the car, the other 50% on the
right side. No matter if you are driving in GB or the continent.

There have only been half a dozen or so problem areas in 500 miles,
but the problem when it occurs is very serious and I can imagine a few
people just keeping their fingers crossed when they come up to these
problems otherwise you need to step across to the right hand side to
look out of the window!

And your first paragraph reads like you have a new motorhome, so all I
can promise is that you will get used to it! Rather tomorrow, than the
day after tomorrow... ;-)

I have driven everything in the past from a motorcycle through to
7.5tonne lorries, both LHD and RHD and really never had this problem.

Old February 3rd 08, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roland Messerschmidt

Hi,

Jules schrieb:

I think he means,

ok, than my English isn't as bad as I thought... ;-)

when he comes to a junction or roundabout, he is
not facing straight ahead, so vehicle is facing away, so RHD he can
see, but LHD, maybe cannot see with his head turned because the
side window doesnt show the cars coming (from the right here in UK)

But you have to face this problem at every fork- or Y-style junction
(maybe even without the right of way!) - the difference between LHD
and RHD is just that the problem exist on the other side. In every day
life there will be a balance between the situations where a LHD or a
RHD would be advantage.

Roland

Old February 3rd 08, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roland Messerschmidt

Terry schrieb:

This is correct. I seem to recall in Europe they don't have this
problem as the junctions are always pretty square on,

Not at all, Terry! ;-)

Roland
but the problem when it occurs is very serious

Full ACK!

I have driven everything in the past from a motorcycle through to
7.5tonne lorries, both LHD and RHD and really never had this
problem.

That's exactly my experience, too...

Roland

Old February 3rd 08, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Roland Messerschmidt

Default Travelling though Austria (was LHD camper woes and 40MPG! wow.)

Hi,

Jules schrieb:

Hallo Roland, mein schrieben Deutche, es ist nicht gute,
aber.....In Apr, ich reiesn mit meinen hunde, von England-Italy,
Austria...nord etc aber fuer Deutschland und Denmark, ich gehn
....ah ich bin sehr muede jetzt...sorry now Englisch.

No problem with English - and I think it's the preferred language in
this NG! ;-)

If i was to spend 24 hours in Austria, where would you recomend? i

Well, it depends where you are comming from and where to want to go
further.

You can pass Austria in about one hour, but you can also stay here for
three weeks without boredom.

So I really would like to help, but without a little bit of details I
would have to write a whole guidebook... ;-)

Roland

Old February 4th 08, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Geoff Lane[_2_]

Terry wrote in news:[email protected]
4ax.com:

What do you guys with LHD do?

I don't have LHD, but I do have a RHD vehicle with restricted visibility
behind the driver's seat and (as others have said) the same problems
apply, albeit to a lesser extent.

My "solutions":

1. Observe the traffic on the road you are about to enter, anticipate and
try to arrive at the merge point at the same time as a sizeable gap in
traffic flow. If you know that a large gap exists and that gap is fairly
constant, you can slot in behind the last vehicle before the gap without
needing to know exactly where the vehicle at the back of the gap is.
However, watch for traffic in the next lane over that might merge into
the gap!

2. Where you can't do 1 above, try to stop at the give-way line square on
(so that you can see directly out of the side windows) or almost parallel
with the major traffic flow (so you can see out of the passenger-side
door mirror).

3. For when you can't do 1 or 2 above, fit a blind-spot mirror on the
passenger side. This should cover the blind arc between where you lose
sight out of the side window to where you regain sight in the standard
door mirror. FWIW, it took me several weeks to find a suitable mirror,
which is a convex mirror almost the width of the door mirror and about
35mm high, which I've mounted below the standard door mirror on the
passenger side. If my experience is anything to go by, you'll need to
practice with the blind-spot mirror until you can gauge both the speed
and distance of oncoming traffic - because it'll seem slower and further
away that it really is. So use with care.

BTW, some more recent vans already have these mirrors and if your MH has
door mirror pods with two mirrors each, the chances are that the smaller
of the two on each side is meant as a blind-spot mirror.

HTH,

--
Geoff
Old February 4th 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Jules

Jules schrieb:

Hallo Roland, mein schrieben Deutche, es ist nicht gute,
aber.....In Apr, ich reiesn mit meinen hunde, von England-Italy,
Austria...nord etc aber fuer Deutschland und Denmark, ich gehn
....ah ich bin sehr muede jetzt...sorry now Englisch.

No problem with English - and I think it's the preferred language in
this NG! ;-)

If i was to spend 24 hours in Austria, where would you recomend? i

Well, it depends where you are comming from and where to want to go
further.

You can pass Austria in about one hour, but you can also stay here for
three weeks without boredom.

So I really would like to help, but without a little bit of details I
would have to write a whole guidebook... ;-)

Roland

Hello Roland

From UK, i drive to Milano in Italy, then a couple of days at
seaside.....from there i goto Germany, so i go through Slovenia etc...so i
think the East of Austria (i make a very big circle around Europe back to
England)

2 days and 1 night would be fine

I always like to goto small places, where not full of tourists (its like
when i am in deepest E Germany and Poland) where i like to meet local
people...so i must speak a few words in local language..but i think Austria
is very differant German spoken (but then in Muenchen its the same
problem!!)

I will be in Italy end of Apr, so around then i think the following week i
will be travelling...

I like to see castles and festung...and try local beers...music and pretty
girls...and of old history.

vielen dank!
Jules

Ah, this weekend, i took my new T3 VW camper to the countryside, to meet
other owners...very cold but was nice. Many people took there dogs
also...some fotos here
www.julianhales.co.uk

I also take my dog when i go on my trip around Europe...he loves to travel
too!