Brenner Pass

Old February 5th 08, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom

Default Brenner Pass

Thinking of going to Italy this year by way of the Brenner Pass. Has anybody
done that route recently? Looking at the 2005 Caravan Club book the Brenner
Pass is listed as suitable for a caravan (in the list of passes and
tunnels), but on their map it is indicated as unsuitable.

Tom

Old February 5th 08, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alex Heney

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 22:27:21 -0000, "Tom"
wrote:

Thinking of going to Italy this year by way of the Brenner Pass. Has anybody
done that route recently? Looking at the 2005 Caravan Club book the Brenner
Pass is listed as suitable for a caravan (in the list of passes and
tunnels), but on their map it is indicated as unsuitable.

There are two roads through the Brenner pass - The motorway, and a
"normal" road. The motorway has tolls (under 10 I think) but is
certainly suitable for caravans.

The other road is very twisty, and might be a little tricky - and the
scenery isn't as good :-)
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
It's easier to obtain forgiveness than permission.
Old February 6th 08, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller

wrote:

Thinking of going to Italy this year by way of the Brenner Pass. Has
anybody
done that route recently? Looking at the 2005 Caravan Club book the
Brenner
Pass is listed as suitable for a caravan (in the list of passes and
tunnels), but on their map it is indicated as unsuitable.

There are two roads through the Brenner pass - The motorway, and a
"normal" road. The motorway has tolls (under 10 I think) but is
certainly suitable for caravans.

The other road is very twisty, and might be a little tricky - and the
scenery isn't as good :-)
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
It's easier to obtain forgiveness than permission.

The twisty Brenner pass road is prohibited to caravans, so you can't use it
anyway (unless you've got a motorhome). If you want to avoid the tolls, a
good alternative is the Reschen Pass which is single carriageway road, but
an easy gradient.

John Miller

Old February 6th 08, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Tom" wrote in message
Thinking of going to Italy this year by way of the Brenner Pass. Has
anybody done that route recently? Looking at the 2005 Caravan Club book
the Brenner Pass is listed as suitable for a caravan (in the list of
passes and tunnels), but on their map it is indicated as unsuitable.

Tom

We have been over the Brenner Pass (motorway) in both directions and it
should not present any problems for a well balanced outfit. The steepest bit
is the approach to the toll booth coming from the Innsbruck direction.
Otherwise an easy route with superb views.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old February 6th 08, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom

"Tom" wrote in message
Thinking of going to Italy this year by way of the Brenner Pass. Has
anybody done that route recently? Looking at the 2005 Caravan Club book
the Brenner Pass is listed as suitable for a caravan (in the list of
passes and tunnels), but on their map it is indicated as unsuitable.

Tom

Many thanks to Alex, John and David!

I'm considering going through Holland, Germany and Austria into Italy to
make a change from France this year. My wife is not keen on tunnels, so I
thought the Brenner Pass would be best,but got the confusing information in
the Caravan Club book. May still return via France, but can make that
decision while in Italy.

Thanks again for clearing that up.

Tom

Old February 6th 08, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Tom" wrote in message

"Tom" wrote in message
Many thanks to Alex, John and David!

I'm considering going through Holland, Germany and Austria into Italy to
make a change from France this year. My wife is not keen on tunnels, so I
thought the Brenner Pass would be best,but got the confusing information
in the Caravan Club book. May still return via France, but can make that
decision while in Italy.

Thanks again for clearing that up.

Tom

Just to add that the return trip from Italy into Austria via the Brenner
Pass is even more impressive that going south. I am not sure there are many
ways out of Italy and into France without tunnels, some of them quite long.
Even going along the Mediterranean coast there are lots of tunnels.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old February 7th 08, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Foster

wrote:

[...]

If, as I think, Reschen is the German form of Resia, it is a very easy and
pleasant run. And, if you get to it via Germany (Fussen and Imst) you can
avoid all toll roads.

Keith

Old February 7th 08, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller

wrote:

[...]

Yes, That's right. We used the Fern Pass (also easy) to get into Austria
from Germany and then normal roads up to and over the Reschen (Resia) Pass.
It's worth a stop at Fussen to see the Neuschwanstein castle. Fussen itself
is a nice place. There can be long queues at the Brenner in Summer and the
Reschen is a pleasant and cheaper alternative.

John Miller

Old February 9th 08, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Foster

wrote:

[...]

Ditto; And I can recommend the Fussen site (and Camping Latsch at
Latsch/Laces) if you want to explore the area.

Keith