Vehicle weight definition

Old February 7th 08, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave P[_4_]

Default Vehicle weight definition

I've got to go over a weight restricted bridge to stop off at a friends. It
a 3 tonne limit. My car is less than that, my caravan is less than that but
I've been told that your vehicle weight is defined as car + caravan and
hence we can't.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Dave

Old February 7th 08, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Dave P" wrote in message
I've got to go over a weight restricted bridge to stop off at a friends.
It a 3 tonne limit. My car is less than that, my caravan is less than that
but I've been told that your vehicle weight is defined as car + caravan
and hence we can't.

The weight restriction relates to the gvw of the entire outfit. That's its
theoretical max weight, not its actual weight on the day.

Rgds

Andy R

Old February 7th 08, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave P[_4_]

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Dave P" wrote in message
I've got to go over a weight restricted bridge to stop off at a friends.
It a 3 tonne limit. My car is less than that, my caravan is less than
that but I've been told that your vehicle weight is defined as car +
caravan and hence we can't.

The weight restriction relates to the gvw of the entire outfit. That's
its theoretical max weight, not its actual weight on the day.

Rgds

Andy R

Thanks Andy. Glad I asked. Guess I won't be popping by my friends!

Cheers,

Dave

Old February 7th 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Dave P wrote:

I've got to go over a weight restricted bridge to stop off at a
friends. It a 3 tonne limit. My car is less than that, my caravan is
less than that but I've been told that your vehicle weight is defined
as car + caravan and hence we can't.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Dave

How long's the bridge? How about unhitching and pushing the van over by hand
(or using a winch on the car to pull it over, once the car's clear)?
--
Cheers,
Roger