Corsica and Sardinia

Old February 9th 08, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
RustYİ

Default Corsica and Sardinia

Has anyone 'done' these islands recently with a van ? In April, I plan to
ferry from France / Italy to North Corse, drive down to the bottom of the
island then ferry across to Sardinia for a full lap of that island them back
onto Corse and up the other side to get back to the ferry port. Sorting out
ferries is not as straight forward as I'd hoped though. I was thinking of a
two week return from the mainland to Corsica with a one week trip to see
Sardinia. Anyone any thoughts ?

Old February 10th 08, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
Joe Soap

"RustYİ" a écrit dans le message de news:
Has anyone 'done' these islands recently with a van ? In April, I plan to
ferry from France / Italy to North Corse, drive down to the bottom of the
island then ferry across to Sardinia for a full lap of that island them
back
onto Corse and up the other side to get back to the ferry port. Sorting
out
ferries is not as straight forward as I'd hoped though. I was thinking of
two week return from the mainland to Corsica with a one week trip to see
Sardinia. Anyone any thoughts ?

Hello,

We toured Corsica in August 2006 a family of four in our Moncoyo 360sl Motor
home. Ferry prices being much cheaper from Italy, we drove done through
Belgium, Alsace and Switzerland thus avoiding exorbitant french motorway and
Montblanc tolls. We had booked the return ferry Livorno-Bastia via Internet,
the Corsica ferries web site is excellent it even allows reservations with a
"Camping-car", (under no circumstances use the ATM at the Livorno ferry
terminal!!!)

I've never been to Sardinia but it certainly doesn't have the same
reputation for natural beauty as Corsica does. The ferries can't be that
expensive between the two Islands because Corsicans do a return trip on
market day from Bonifacio.

Almost all of the costal roads have been widened over the past few years
(with one exception going south before Calvi) but nevertheless we toured the
island in an anticlockwise fashion to avoid any damage from projecting rocks
which could damage the bodywork around the overhead bed and like that I
could keep my eyes on the road instead of towards the sky.

Almost all campsites have facilities for emptying waste tanks and filling up
with water even if some of them in the north are agrarian in construction.
Prices "in august Ğrange from a reasonable 18 euros in the north to an
outrageous 50 euros in the south for a family of four, so in the south we
went wild camping , there is no problem finding a place to stop as there is
lots of coves with easy access and car parks, water can be obtained from one
of the many fountains along the roads or from boating marinas.

The east coast between Porto-vecchio and Bastia is to be avoided, flat and
uninteresting although the old harbor at Bastia is worth a visit. and of
course porto-vecchio itself is a obligatory stopover

You will need the Michelin "Guide vert la Corse" , "Le guie de routard" and
the Michelin map of Corsica. If you read french there are some good online
travel diaries with photographs and much more details made by families who
have visited the island in "Camping-cars".

In any case the Corsica more than merits its name L'ile de beautie" probably
the most beautiful landscape in Europe, an experience you will never forget.

If you have any Questions that I might be able to answer don't hesitate to
ask.

Joe

Old February 13th 08, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans
RustYİ

"Joe Soap" wrote in message

We toured Corsica in August 2006 .........

Thanks for that, it does sound like it should be a good trip.