End of BBC Short Wave Transmissions to Europe.

Old February 11th 08, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave D

Default End of BBC Short Wave Transmissions to Europe.

I was about five minutes away from ordering a replacement Sony SW radio on
Amazon for my old cracked Sony 7600 when I came across a page on the BBC
website which tells us that - "The remaining BBC World Service shortwave
transmissions to Europe will close on 18th February 2008." and "the majority
of shortwave transmissions ceased in March 2007" I was having problems all
last year in France and Spain and this explains it. As usual I thought it
was me doing something wrong. They also say "This change is being made in
line with listener trends in radio. Increasing numbers of people around the
world are choosing to listen to radio on a range of other platforms
including FM, satellite and online, with fewer listening on shortwave"

I see other caravanners using large discs to get TV reception but I am not
really interested in TV or video. We have a small caravan and travel light.
We just like to catch the news each day on the radio. FM MW and LW are
useless a few miles into France so has anybody advice for the minimum
equipment required to pick up BBC radio broadcasts as far away as southern
France and Spain?

I have at least 120 that I saved not ordering the Sony radio :-)

Regards.

Dave.

Old February 11th 08, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
DieSea

"Dave D" wrote in message
[...]

Dave

Have a look at Lowes of Matlock or waters and Stanton ( Google is your friend !!)

I think there is a range of Radio receivers that receive from the satellites and
do NOT need large dishes

Harry's never around when you need him !!!

DieSea

Old February 12th 08, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Andy R

"Dave D" wrote in message
[...]

Search around for a wi-fi enable pda. I'm sure you'll find one somewhere
with a media player that'll connetc to the bbc website. There are plenty of
free/cheap wireless connections available now or just use yr mobile phone to
connect.

Rgds

Andy R

Old February 12th 08, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave D

"Andy R" wrote in message

Search around for a wi-fi enable pda. I'm sure you'll find one somewhere
with a media player that'll connetc to the bbc website. There are plenty
of free/cheap wireless connections available now or just use yr mobile
phone to connect.

Rgds

Andy R

Thank you Andy. I was not too sure what a pda was. I looked it up and it
is I believe a tiny handheld computer. That would probably be a bit of an
overkill for me especially if I have to use it with a mobile phone. Maybe I
will have to go down the path of getting a laptop. But really I have no use
for that other than when away with the caravan.
Regards.
Dave.

Old February 12th 08, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave D

"DieSea" wrote in message
Have a look at Lowes of Matlock or waters and Stanton ( Google is your
friend !!)

I think there is a range of Radio receivers that receive from the
satellites and do NOT need large dishes

Harry's never around when you need him !!!

DieSea

Thanks for the suggestion DieSea. I have been on to Waters and Stanton this
morning but their AV expert could not suggest anything other that the big
dish and all the works.

Regards Dave.

Old February 12th 08, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
DieSea

"Dave D" wrote in message

"DieSea" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestion DieSea. I have been on to Waters and Stanton this
morning but their AV expert could not suggest anything other that the big dish
and all the works.

Regards Dave.

Try this

http://www.worldspace.com/

And this

http://www.nevada.co.uk/

Talk to Nevada first

Sorry about leading you on a wild goose chase

I know there is one of the **MAJOR** Radio Amateur dealers/ importers have their
fingers in the Satellite Broadcast pot

DieSea

Old February 12th 08, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Dave D

"DieSea" wrote in message

Try this

http://www.worldspace.com/

And this

http://www.nevada.co.uk/

Talk to Nevada first

Sorry about leading you on a wild goose chase

I know there is one of the **MAJOR** Radio Amateur dealers/ importers have
their fingers in the Satellite Broadcast pot

DieSea

DieSea,
The World Space company offer a Satellite subscription service but they are
not at the moment selling anything that covers Europe. I will talk to
Nevada. The firm is on an industrial estate about 7 miles from my house and
I shall toddle along there sometime in the next few days. Will let you know
how I get on.

Regards and many thanks.
Dave.