At what point will you give up caravanning?

Old February 14th 08, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
A700

Default At what point will you give up caravanning?

Apparently, fuel is reliably predicted to top 1.50 per litre by the end of
this year.

I think we can all accept that this is highly likely, so, what's the price
point that will make you abandon caravanning? Remember, that's almost 7.50
per gallon - or about 25 miles of towing.

I'm getting twitchy about it now - ever rising fuel costs, site fees,
insurance costing far more than for the car that tows the van, rip-off
servicing, where they do bugger all and charge you up to 200 for their
idleness.

Soon, I feel, enough will be more than enough, and I will give up this
pastime after 25 years of enjoying touring.

Anyone else contemplating the same?

Old February 15th 08, 06:32 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:59:17 -0000, "A700"
wrote:

Apparently, fuel is reliably predicted to top 1.50 per litre by the end of
this year.

I think we can all accept that this is highly likely, so, what's the price
point that will make you abandon caravanning? Remember, that's almost 7.50
per gallon - or about 25 miles of towing.

I'm getting twitchy about it now - ever rising fuel costs, site fees,
insurance costing far more than for the car that tows the van, rip-off
servicing, where they do bugger all and charge you up to 200 for their
idleness.

Soon, I feel, enough will be more than enough, and I will give up this
pastime after 25 years of enjoying touring.

Anyone else contemplating the same?

No, and I tow with a Range Rover. However, to soften the wallet, it
does run on LPG. I will never return to the London CC sites, and I
can see these sites having a hard time of it.
My local servicing centre is very good - no complaints so far - and my
insurance via the CC is competitive. Mind you, I do tow a 1994
Carlight, not a new van (wouldn't change).
I am in the happy position that I can caravan at any time, but I do
avoid peak times at popular camp sites.

I do find that, once on site and set up, I forget about the journey to
the site and enjoy the stay.

4x4 RR, Carlight Countess 15/2, both 1994

#200 for their idleness.

Soon, I feel, enough will be more than enough, and I will give up
this pastime after 25 years of enjoying touring.

Anyone else contemplating the same?

Nope.

We are exploring alternatives though ...I now run my Landrover on a mix
of diesel and vegetable oil. At 52/56p a litre it's cheap enough to
make a big difference to cost.

I don't think they can price us out of caravanning, we love it so much
and as we go most weekends we'd just find another alternative means to
do it if it got prohibitive, such as seasonal or longer term siting..

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi 'Big and Butch'
'98 Suzuki DR 200 Djebel 'Small but perfectly formed'
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp "When I feel fit enough'
Old February 15th 08, 07:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"A700" wrote in message
Apparently, fuel is reliably predicted to top 1.50 per litre by the end
of this year.

As the whole premise of your post is based around this 'reliable prediction'
I would like to know where you obtained this information?

Regards.
Dave.

Old February 15th 08, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"A700" wrote in message
Apparently, fuel is reliably predicted to top 1.50 per litre by the end
of this year.

I think we can all accept that this is highly likely, so, what's the
price point that will make you abandon caravanning? Remember, that's
almost 7.50 per gallon - or about 25 miles of towing.

You must have a big rig.

I'm getting twitchy about it now - ever rising fuel costs, site fees,
insurance costing far more than for the car that tows the van, rip-off
servicing, where they do bugger all and charge you up to 200 for their
idleness.

You don't need insurance (we can't insure our 'vans) and you could do your
own servicing.

Soon, I feel, enough will be more than enough, and I will give up this
pastime after 25 years of enjoying touring.

Anyone else contemplating the same?

Not us. We'll give up when we're physically unfit to do it, perhaps in the
next ten years.

Mary

Old February 15th 08, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Dave D" wrote in message

"A700" wrote in message
Apparently, fuel is reliably predicted to top 1.50 per litre by the end
of this year.

As the whole premise of your post is based around this 'reliable
prediction' I would like to know where you obtained this information?

Regards.
Dave.

Well, David, to be fair it wasn't all about the cost of fuel. The poster was
also dissatisfied with other costs and lack of confidence in servicing.

Mary

Old February 15th 08, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:13:18 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

snip
You don't need insurance (we can't insure our 'vans) and you could do your
own servicing.

snip
Mary

Having been on the wrong side of a side swipe, I can say you most
certainly do. If you can't insure your 'vans (why?), then fine, but I
would say it is a sensible thing to do for others..

Gary
Old February 15th 08, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Dave D" wrote in message

"A700" wrote in message
Apparently, fuel is reliably predicted to top 1.50 per litre by the end
of this year.

As the whole premise of your post is based around this 'reliable
prediction' I would like to know where you obtained this information?

Regards.
Dave.

Well, David, to be fair it wasn't all about the cost of fuel. The poster
was also dissatisfied with other costs and lack of confidence in
servicing.

Mary

I'll get my coat :-)
But I would still like to hear where he got this 'reliable information'.

Regards
David.

Old February 15th 08, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Dave D" wrote in message

I'll get my coat :-)

NO!

But I would still like to hear where he got this 'reliable information'.

So would I. But usually when people say that they quote a BBC site ... :-(

Mar

Old February 15th 08, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:13:18 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

snip
You don't need insurance (we can't insure our 'vans) and you could do your
own servicing.

snip
Mary

Having been on the wrong side of a side swipe, I can say you most
certainly do. If you can't insure your 'vans (why?),

Thjey're too old.

then fine, but I
would say it is a sensible thing to do for others..

If we had a side swipe we'd repair it. We've already rebuilt both of them
:-) It's very satisfying and you KNOW you've got a good job.

Mary

Gary