What weight

Old February 16th 08, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sam Farrell[_3_]

Default What weight

We are in the process of buying a second hand caravan but before chasing the
adverts I need to know if my car can tow it. Is there a website where I can
look up the weight etc of any model caravan .

Sam

Old February 16th 08, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:54:41 -0000, "Sam Farrell"
wrote:

We are in the process of buying a second hand caravan but before chasing the
adverts I need to know if my car can tow it. Is there a website where I can
look up the weight etc of any model caravan .

Sam

Sam
You can find some useful stuff here..
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/Practic...t+matching.htm

4x4 RR, Carlight Countess 15/2, both 1994
Old February 16th 08, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Sam Farrell" wrote in message
We are in the process of buying a second hand caravan but before chasing
the adverts I need to know if my car can tow it. Is there a website where
I can look up the weight etc of any model caravan .

Sam

Start with the car handbook. Most manufacturers will indicate within, or
give a hint where to find, the maximum towing weight for that car. This
number must not be exceeded.

The industry recommends that as a first time tower you should stick to
towing around 85% of the kerbweight of the car. This is a sensible
recommendation. Kerbweight information will be in the handbook or similar.
If, however the 85% of kerbweight exceeds the maximum towing weight stated,
then you must stick to the maximum stated.

All modern caravans will have a weight plate, usually by the door. This will
show two weights.

Earlier ones show the Maximum Gross Weight, MGW and Payload. The MGW is the
maximum weight the chassis is rated to, you subtract the payload figure to
get the weight it should be as it left the factory. I'll come back to this
later.

Later van's plates show exworks weight (now called Mass In Running Order)
MRO, and Maximum Gross Weight (now Maximum Technical Permitted Laden Mass)
MTPLM. Under the newer scheme the MRO is the maximum weight the caravan can
be 'ex works'. The older scheme had a 3% margin.

The bit I was coming back to later.

It is important to look at the caravan specification as well as the weight
plate. Some older vans that came with a basic specification from the factory
may had accessories added, like cassette toilet or hot water system. These
eat into the payload so you need to be careful with loading of personal
effects.

Hope this helps (probably confuses the matter)

Cheers

Old February 16th 08, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

"Sam Farrell" wrote in
:

We are in the process of buying a second hand caravan but before
chasing the adverts I need to know if my car can tow it. Is there a
website where I can look up the weight etc of any model caravan .

For most modern-ish caravans (2000 onward for most makes AFAICT)
http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/vandata.htm is a good start. For most
vans listed, this also gives the layout.

HTH,

--
Geoff