Which Wheel Lock?

Old February 16th 08, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

Default Which Wheel Lock?

Any one got any experience or views on ALKO Secure wheel lock system

My new van has the fixed part fitted but they (Lunar Clubman) apparently
don't supply the actual lock, despite what it implies in the brochure -
something I will be taking up with them on Monday morning and Trading
Standards most probably on Monday afternoon.

But in anticipation of losing is it worth buying the rest of the kit?
--
hugh
Old February 17th 08, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"hugh" ] wrote in message
Any one got any experience or views on ALKO Secure wheel lock system

My new van has the fixed part fitted but they (Lunar Clubman) apparently
don't supply the actual lock, despite what it implies in the brochure -
something I will be taking up with them on Monday morning and Trading
Standards most probably on Monday afternoon.

But in anticipation of losing is it worth buying the rest of the kit?
--
hugh

The AlKo secure is a very good lock, but very fiddly to get on. You must
have the wheel absolutely in the right position before fitting. Even a few
mm out and the bolt will cross thread and then snap the key as you try to
get it out.

This means having to get the jack out and rotate the wheel prior to fitting.
One hell of a faff, but it is very good as a lock.

On the subject of whether you should have one or not, The 08 brochure
certainly says that the lock is a new feature for 08, so if its an 08 van
you've got, then I reckon you should have one. However, there is that lovely
phrase that says they reserve the right to chnge the spec and I presume the
new lower prices may have something to with it.

Cheers

Old February 18th 08, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"[email protected] home" wrote in message

"hugh" ] wrote in message
Any one got any experience or views on ALKO Secure wheel lock system

My new van has the fixed part fitted but they (Lunar Clubman) apparently
don't supply the actual lock, despite what it implies in the brochure -
something I will be taking up with them on Monday morning and Trading
Standards most probably on Monday afternoon.

But in anticipation of losing is it worth buying the rest of the kit?
--
hugh

The AlKo secure is a very good lock, but very fiddly to get on. You must
have the wheel absolutely in the right position before fitting. Even a few
mm out and the bolt will cross thread and then snap the key as you try to
get it out.

This means having to get the jack out and rotate the wheel prior to
fitting. One hell of a faff, but it is very good as a lock.

What a performance. I simply wouldn't go caravanning if I had to put up
with nonsense like that at the start and end of every journey. It must be
great fun in the freezing cold, pouring rain kneeling down in the mud to fit
your lock before you dare leave the caravan to go for a pint.

And after all that, do you think it'll stop a pikey nicking your 'van.

Personally I'd rather just have good insurance that doesn't insist on a
lock.

Rgds

Andy R

Old February 18th 08, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:17:10 -0000, "Andy R"
wrote:

What a performance. I simply wouldn't go caravanning if I had to put up
with nonsense like that at the start and end of every journey. It must be
great fun in the freezing cold, pouring rain kneeling down in the mud to fit
your lock before you dare leave the caravan to go for a pint.

And after all that, do you think it'll stop a pikey nicking your 'van.

Personally I'd rather just have good insurance that doesn't insist on a
lock.

I almost completely agree with you here but I think finding an insurer
that does not insist upon any lock at all might be rather difficult.
It's why I like the CC insurance which insists only that either a
hitchlock or a wheel clamp must be fitted within 8 hours or the
caravan being unhooked from the car. At home I use both but when I am
away I only carry the hitchlock.

Bill Lord

Old February 19th 08, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller[_2_]

"hugh" ] wrote in message
Any one got any experience or views on ALKO Secure wheel lock system

My new van has the fixed part fitted but they (Lunar Clubman) apparently
don't supply the actual lock, despite what it implies in the brochure -
something I will be taking up with them on Monday morning and Trading
Standards most probably on Monday afternoon.

But in anticipation of losing is it worth buying the rest of the kit?
--
hugh

I bought the Bulldog Max version which is not only considerably cheaper than
the Alko, but is also a lot easier to install as the wheel placing is not as
critical. It's a good lock, but I don't think it has such a high security
rating as the Alko. You pays your money..

John Miller

Old February 19th 08, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

On 19 Feb, 01:21, "John Miller" wrote:
"hugh" ] wrote in message

Any one got any experience or views on ALKO Secure wheel lock system

My new van has the fixed part fitted but they (Lunar Clubman) apparently
don't supply the actual lock, despite what it implies in the brochure -
something I will be taking up with them on Monday morning and Trading
Standards most probably on Monday afternoon.

But in anticipation of losing is it worth buying the rest of the kit?
--
hugh

I bought the Bulldog Max version which is not only considerably cheaper than
the Alko, but is also a lot easier to install as the wheel placing is not as
critical. It's a good lock, but I don't think it has such a high security
rating as the Alko. You pays your money..

John Miller

There was a piece from a member in the Caravan Club magazine a few
months ago about his new 'van fitted with the ALKO device.
Unfortunately it had been burned off from behind the wheel, using an
adjoining aperture to access it withe the oxycutter.
The 'van wasn't stolen, the thieves had been disturbed before they
could make off with it.
I seem to recall ALKO expressing annoyance in the next edition of the
magazine, because ,they claimed, it was irresponsible to publicly
disclose how this could be done!
As if the crooks hadn't worked that out for themselves!! Probably
hasn't helped ALKO though.
It's a given that if low lives want to steal something, they'll find
a way. Just hope to slow them down!
Old February 19th 08, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"hugh" ] wrote in message

There was a piece from a member in the Caravan Club magazine a few
months ago about his new 'van fitted with the ALKO device.
Unfortunately it had been burned off from behind the wheel, using an
adjoining aperture to access it withe the oxycutter.
The 'van wasn't stolen, the thieves had been disturbed before they
could make off with it.
I seem to recall ALKO expressing annoyance in the next edition of the
magazine, because ,they claimed, it was irresponsible to publicly
disclose how this could be done!
As if the crooks hadn't worked that out for themselves!! Probably
hasn't helped ALKO though.
It's a given that if low lives want to steal something, they'll find
a way. Just hope to slow them down!

Just like the BBC News Channel telling every one how to get away with No MOT No
Road Tax and No Insurance a day or two back

DieSea

Old February 19th 08, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , DieSea
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message

[...]

Best (worst) ever IMV was during the Falklands when BBC wheeled out a
retired senior RAF officer to explain that the reason the Argentinian
bombs weren't exploding even though they hit the ships was because they
had probably forgotten to refuse them for low level bombing.

Surprise surprise next day ....
--
hugh
Old February 22nd 08, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave H[_2_]

[email protected] home wrote:

Even a few
mm out and the bolt will cross thread and then snap the key as you try to
get it out.

Have you had personal experience of this?

1 mm out and I can't get the bolt to screw in. Have you any evidence
cross-threading is possible?

Presumably if the key snaps with the bolt cross-threaded one is
seriously b******d!

Aitch
Old February 22nd 08, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave H[_2_]

Andy R wrote:

..

Personally I'd rather just have good insurance that doesn't insist on a
lock.

Which insurer are you with that does this?

Aitch