Diesel or petrol ?

Old February 18th 08, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Sam Farrell[_3_]

Default Diesel or petrol ?

Which is the best car for towing, a Mondeo petrol 1.8LX or Mondeo Diesel 2.0
TDCi

Sam

Old February 18th 08, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Sam Farrell wrote:

Which is the best car for towing, Mondeo 2.0 TDCi

Nothing more to say.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi 'Big and Butch'
'98 Suzuki DR 200 Djebel 'Small but perfectly formed'
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp "When I feel fit enough'
Old February 18th 08, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Sam Farrell wrote:

Which is the best car for towing, Mondeo 2.0 TDCi

Nothing more to say.

--
Paul - xxx

Surely you should say your Disco Paul

I'd be interested what you get to the gallon when you tow

DieSea

Old February 18th 08, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TTT

The diesel - partly because it has way more torque, partly because its
heavier.

Old February 18th 08, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:27:16 -0000, "Sam Farrell"
wrote:

Which is the best car for towing, a Mondeo petrol 1.8LX or Mondeo Diesel 2.0
TDCi

Sam

Lets just say this, my 55 plate Mondeo TDCi 115 LX is the most
competent towcar I have ever used. I tow a 1450kg Hymer Nova at a
steady 57mph, ( cruise control is engaged before I join the main
carriageway of the motorway ), it goes up hill and down dale on the
motorway ( M62 going East and West j21 to j25, M6 over shap, and M74
up Beattock included ) without my ever needing to touch the pedals and
doinfg all this it returns 35mpg. It is stable at all legal speeds (
and those illegal ones on the odd occasions when the speed limiter
sitting in the passenger seat has fallen asleep ) and in general I can
not recommend it highly enough. Not towing I get 43mpg on short
journeys around town, 55 mpg when cruising at 70 on the motorway, and
60mpg cruising on the motorway when the speed limiter is in the car
and I have to travel at just less than 60.
I doubt that the petrol mondeo would compare in any way with it.

Bill Lord

Old February 18th 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gordon Austin

"TTT" wrote in message
The diesel - partly because it has way more torque, partly because its
heavier.

Come on Bill, where are you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old February 18th 08, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 23:42:29 -0000, "Gordon Austin"
wrote:

"TTT" wrote in message
The diesel - partly because it has way more torque, partly because its
heavier.

Come on Bill, where are you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got there 8 minutes before you.

Bill Lord

Old February 19th 08, 06:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx[_2_]

DieSea wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Sam Farrell wrote:

Which is the best car for towing, Mondeo 2.0 TDCi

Nothing more to say.

-- Paul - xxx

Surely you should say your Disco Paul

That wasn't on the list ... We're looking round for a 2.0 Tdci for
towing, then I'm having the Disco as a pure off-road toy .. lifting it,
tuning it, stripping it out etc.

I'd be interested what you get to the gallon when you tow

About 22 when I'm doing 70+ about 26/28 when I'm towing at legal
speeds. I have a very light caravan, less than 50% weight of the Disco

Does about 28 to 32 mpg when not towing, depending on right foot and
other stuff ..

Old February 27th 08, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

The caravan club magazine did a very good write up on the Mondeo in the
latest issue
Liz

Old February 27th 08, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Liz Hall

2.0 diesel will be better towcar with heavier vans anyway, no problems with
the Mondeo for towing we have towed with one for 5 years and sell tools and
equipment to garages, the only problems they are having to replace injectors
on high mileage cars and these are expensive.
Liz