Freelander

Old February 18th 08, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mudlarks55

Default Freelander

Looking to change my towcar, Thinking of buying a freelander 2. Any
suggestions would be welcome.
I tow Avondale avocet.with my Fourtack

Thanks Dave

Old February 18th 08, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx[_2_]

mudlarks55 wrote:

Looking to change my towcar, Thinking of buying a freelander 2. Any
suggestions would be welcome. I tow Avondale avocet.with my Fourtack

Personally, and bearing in mind I love Landrovers, having had them for
years etc etc .... I'd get a Nissan X-Trail if it was for mostly
towing/town car, providing the weight's OK for your 'van.

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi 'Big and Butch'
'98 Suzuki DR 200 Djebel 'Small but perfectly formed'
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp "When I feel fit enough'
Old February 19th 08, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gareth Watkins

"mudlarks55" wrote in message
Looking to change my towcar, Thinking of buying a freelander 2. Any
suggestions would be welcome.
I tow Avondale avocet.with my Fourtack

Thanks Dave

Dave
I have no experience of the Freelander 2 but I had a 2000 plate Freelander
diesel for a couple of years and from my experience with it I would NOT
recommend the Freelander. Ok, I bought it second hand with a few miles on
the clock but it really was the most dreadful car I've ever owned, second to
a Granada. The Freelander was a great looking motor with all the looks and
appeal to give you the desired image but in my two years with it I got
through countless wing mirrors (they just fell off or fell apart), numerous
switches inside, the back door handle came off in my hand, the rear door
window motor failed (400 quid replacement!), several speakers blew and, when
I finally got rid of it, I had that niggling feeling that something major
was about to fall out of the gearbox which is a common weakness in them. The
engine was a bit of a dog but apparently when they changed to the TD4 it had
some improvements but still had the weak gearboxes and running gear.
I have no doubt Landrover have made every effort to address the earlier
Freelander weaknesses with the new version but I personally would go for the
Nisssan X Trail as it does everything the Freelander does only better and it
has typical Nissan quality and reliability. That's what I'm saving up for at
the moment anyway!!
HTH

Gareth

Old February 20th 08, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy Richardson

mudlarks55 wrote:
Looking to change my towcar, Thinking of buying a freelander 2. Any
suggestions would be welcome.
I tow Avondale avocet.with my Fourtack

Thanks Dave

Got the Diesel Freelander 2. Best Towcar I have ever had. It is a
great step up in reliability on the old Freelander (Made on Elesmere
Port rather than Solihull).
Only beef is Fuel consumption. 35 solo and 24 towing 1400 kg.
Andy Richo
Derbyshire
Old February 20th 08, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:41:49 +0000, Andy Richardson
wrote:

mudlarks55 wrote:
Looking to change my towcar, Thinking of buying a freelander 2. Any
suggestions would be welcome.
I tow Avondale avocet.with my Fourtack

Thanks Dave

Got the Diesel Freelander 2. Best Towcar I have ever had. It is a
great step up in reliability on the old Freelander (Made on Elesmere
Port rather than Solihull).
Only beef is Fuel consumption. 35 solo and 24 towing 1400 kg.
Andy Richo
Derbyshire

BTW New Freelander has just beaten the Nissan X-Trail..

http://rovering.squarespace.com/jour...nissans-x.html

Gary
4x4 RR, Carlight Countess 15/2, both 1994
Old February 21st 08, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

http://rovering.squarespace.com/jour...-fifth-gear-te...

Gary
4x4 RR, Carlight Countess 15/2, both 1994

I tow an Avondale Avocet perfectly happily with a 2 wheel drive. I use
mainly CLs, and even last "summer", I had no need of assistance to get
either on or off a pitch. The tow car? Skoda Superb 2.0TDI. 45mpg
solo, 32mpg towing.
Ibelieve that the choice of a 4x4 is NOT related to caravanning, it's
a style and lifestyle thing! You don't NEED a Chelsea shed!
Old February 21st 08, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 00:34:13 -0800 (PST), Lunar475
wrote:

I tow an Avondale Avocet perfectly happily with a 2 wheel drive. I use
mainly CLs, and even last "summer", I had no need of assistance to get
either on or off a pitch. The tow car? Skoda Superb 2.0TDI. 45mpg
solo, 32mpg towing.

Well done

Ibelieve that the choice of a 4x4 is NOT related to caravanning, it's
a style and lifestyle thing! You don't NEED a Chelsea shed!

Oh dear.... sigh
4x4 RR, Carlight Countess 15/2, both 1994
Old February 21st 08, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Lunar475 wrote:

I believe that the choice of a 4x4 is NOT related to caravanning, it's
a style and lifestyle thing! You don't NEED a Chelsea shed!

That's your opinion, but you'd never get a caravan to several of the
places where I go without it.
Old February 21st 08, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Trefor

Actually, the correct terminology is....

"A Chelsea Tractor"...:-))

Trefor

a style and lifestyle thing! You don't NEED a Chelsea shed!

Old February 21st 08, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Trefor" wrote in message

Actually, the correct terminology is....

"A Chelsea Tractor"...:-))

Trefor

a style and lifestyle thing! You don't NEED a Chelsea shed!

I would love to be able to afford a SHED in Chelsea

I'm told its difficult to afford a HUT on the coast in West Wales

;~))

DieSea