speed camera`s & caravaners

Old February 18th 08, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
pete

Default speed camera`s & caravaners

Hi all, I was having a discussion a work regarding the speed limit for
towing a caravan or as I was told " a tin tent" and there is a lot of
people out there who dont know that the max speed limit for an outfit
on a A class road is 50mph and dual carriage way and motorway 60mph.
My question is this, when an outfit passes a fixed speed camera on an
A class road at 60mph (breaking the law) will the camera pick up the
fact that the outfit should be only doing 50mph? In other words can
the camera tell the difference between a car towing and a car not. I
really dont want to put it to the test. Pete
Old February 18th 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:46:23 -0800 (PST), pete
wrote:

Hi all, I was having a discussion a work regarding the speed limit for
towing a caravan or as I was told " a tin tent" and there is a lot of
people out there who dont know that the max speed limit for an outfit
on a A class road is 50mph and dual carriage way and motorway 60mph.
My question is this, when an outfit passes a fixed speed camera on an
A class road at 60mph (breaking the law) will the camera pick up the
fact that the outfit should be only doing 50mph? In other words can
the camera tell the difference between a car towing and a car not. I
really dont want to put it to the test. Pete

No, not the fixed cameras - they are triggered by the speed. However,
the roadside 'safety camera' will pick you up, as the operator is
supposed to know the limits -v - type of vehicle.

HTH
Old February 18th 08, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dieseldes

wrote:

Hi all, I was having a discussion a work regarding the speed limit for
towing a caravan or as I was told " a tin tent" and there is a lot of
people out there who dont know that the max speed limit for an outfit
on a A class road is 50mph and dual carriage way and motorway 60mph.
My question is this, when an outfit passes a fixed speed camera on an
A class road at 60mph (breaking the law) will the camera pick up the
fact that the outfit should be only doing 50mph? In other words can
the camera tell the difference between a car towing and a car not. I
really dont want to put it to the test. Pete

No, not the fixed cameras - they are triggered by the speed. However,
the roadside 'safety camera' will pick you up, as the operator is
supposed to know the limits -v - type of vehicle.

HTH

Not quite, I know of at least two fixed cameras, one on the A9 by Blair
Athol and one on the A90 between Dundee and Aberdeen nr Laurencekirk that
definitely have what appears to be mass sensors, small truck mass about the
same as a caravan flashed (and letter!) at 71mph on the A90 8PM (dual
Carriageway) and 63MPH on the A9 (single carriageway) definately not manned
at 3AM!!! not me (well one was but not followed up :~) ) I now know Tayside
Police have been hitting light commercials which have similar speed limits
to caravans.
I do not believe they are the only ones in the UK.....

Des

Old February 18th 08, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 22:28:46 -0000, "Dieseldes"
wrote:

Not quite, I know of at least two fixed cameras, one on the A9 by Blair
Athol and one on the A90 between Dundee and Aberdeen nr Laurencekirk that
definitely have what appears to be mass sensors, small truck mass about the
same as a caravan flashed (and letter!) at 71mph on the A90 8PM (dual
Carriageway) and 63MPH on the A9 (single carriageway) definately not manned
at 3AM!!! not me (well one was but not followed up :~) ) I now know Tayside
Police have been hitting light commercials which have similar speed limits
to caravans.
I do not believe they are the only ones in the UK.....

Des

I stand corrected. When you think about it, the technology must be
available.
Old February 18th 08, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gordon Austin

wrote:

[...]

Many years ago, when I was "Trucking" it was always said that some of the
cameras on the A1 up to Edinburgh could sense the mass of a vehicle &
"flash" trucks doing over 40MPH! Whether they could or not, I never found
out.
What I always remember was the 40 MPH signs on the A74 between
Carlisle-Glasgow, before the motorway, had the phrase "Heed Your Speed"
added to it, but this was later removed as, it was said, it constituted a
"Threat" !!

Tankie

Old February 20th 08, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Campa-Man

"pete" wrote in message
Hi all, I was having a discussion a work regarding the speed limit for
towing a caravan or as I was told " a tin tent" and there is a lot of
people out there who dont know that the max speed limit for an outfit
on a A class road is 50mph and dual carriage way and motorway 60mph.
My question is this, when an outfit passes a fixed speed camera on an
A class road at 60mph (breaking the law) will the camera pick up the
fact that the outfit should be only doing 50mph? In other words can
the camera tell the difference between a car towing and a car not. I
really dont want to put it to the test. Pete

You mean "Tugging an Tin Tent"

I have been informed that some of the digital type of camera's take a photo
of every vehicle and then they are manually scanned for stuff afterwards,
that is how people have been prosecuted for dangerous driving for doing such
things as both hands of the steering wheel sticking there fingers (V's) up
at the cameras, drinking & eating while driving etc.

Old February 20th 08, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dieseldes

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

"pete" wrote in message
[...]

I don't believe they check every photo! can you imagine even at rush hour
their maybe 1000 cars an hour on a motorway? mind you to check all over a
certain speed, might be easier, though what a boring job! I would be looking
forward to someone doing something illegal
These cameras were the flash type (old technology!) gave me a surprise, as I
was on a dual carriageway., Memo... remember dual carriageway 60mph,
Motorway 70 we live and learn. Ignorance is no excuse......

Des

Old February 29th 08, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Semprini

wrote:

Not quite, I know of at least two fixed cameras, one on the A9 by Blair
Athol and one on the A90 between Dundee and Aberdeen nr Laurencekirk
that
definitely have what appears to be mass sensors, small truck mass about
the
same as a caravan flashed (and letter!) at 71mph on the A90 8PM (dual
Carriageway) and 63MPH on the A9 (single carriageway) definately not
manned
at 3AM!!! not me (well one was but not followed up :~) ) I now know
Tayside
Police have been hitting light commercials which have similar speed limits
to caravans.
I do not believe they are the only ones in the UK.....

I went past one on the Lincoln ring road, driving a large motor caravan at
about 65mph. It flashed the camera - so it must have had a way of judging
the size, and thought it was a commercial vehicle?

Never heard anything, so it must have been discarded when the sorters saw it
was a MC and was within the limit for that class. Goes to show though - a
towed van would (presumably) have received a ticket.