Caravan Toilet Chemicals and Septic Tanks

Old February 18th 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark Stowell

Default Caravan Toilet Chemicals and Septic Tanks

Can anyone advise if there is a toilet chemical available that will not have
a detrimental effect on a septic tank system . Have asked at our local
caravan shop but they thought the usual ones, AquaKem and Elasan , including
the green varieties, shouldn't be used in a septic tank system. Our van is
stored in the garden and friends/ visitors use it when we have no space in
the house.
Tried a couple of queries on the Internet but no concrete info.

Many Thanks
Mark

Old February 18th 08, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Mark Stowell" wrote in message
Can anyone advise if there is a toilet chemical available that will not have a
detrimental effect on a septic tank system . Have asked at our local caravan
shop but they thought the usual ones, AquaKem and Elasan , including the green
varieties, shouldn't be used in a septic tank system. Our van is stored in the
garden and friends/ visitors use it when we have no space in the house.
Tried a couple of queries on the Internet but no concrete info.

Many Thanks
Mark

The Caravan Club site at Hawes doesn't like you using the BLUE

Says it needs to be GREEN , something to do with the bacteria getting killed off
with the Blue

DieSea

If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll get told

Old February 18th 08, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"DieSea" wrote in message

"Mark Stowell" wrote in message
Can anyone advise if there is a toilet chemical available that will not
have a detrimental effect on a septic tank system . Have asked at our
local caravan shop but they thought the usual ones, AquaKem and Elasan ,
including the green varieties, shouldn't be used in a septic tank system.
Our van is stored in the garden and friends/ visitors use it when we
have no space in the house.
Tried a couple of queries on the Internet but no concrete info.

Many Thanks
Mark

The Caravan Club site at Hawes doesn't like you using the BLUE

Says it needs to be GREEN , something to do with the bacteria getting
killed off with the Blue

DieSea

If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll get told

When we use our 'van on our daughter's organic frm with septic tank we don't
use any 'chemical'. It's surprising how little odour we get when we empty
the cassette on a daily basis - it's not a great chore.

Mary

Old February 18th 08, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:37:03 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"DieSea" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Have you thought about fitting a SOG, weve gone for one on the new
motorhome.

Lenny

Dark evenings - for better visibility fit
The NEW Osram NIGHT BREAKER Headlamp Bulbs
90% Brighter beam, 10% whiter light.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
Old February 19th 08, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

On 18 Feb, 21:52, Lenny wrote:
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:37:03 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

wrote:

"DieSea" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Why not try asking Thetford or Elsan?
Old February 19th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Lunar475" wrote in message

When we use our 'van on our daughter's organic frm with septic tank we
don't
use any 'chemical'. It's surprising how little odour we get when we
empty
the cassette on a daily basis - it's not a great chore.

Mary

Have you thought about fitting a SOG, weve gone for one on the new
motorhome.

We hadn't thought about it, our Biopot is very sophisticated compared with a
bucket :-)

But that 'van has no electricity anyway so it wouldn't be any use to us. As
I said, it's not a huge chore to empty the thing every one or two days.

It certainly would be a good idea for 'vanners who didn't want to use
chemicals yet wanted to store their output :-) We'd use a green solution but
our daughter is very protective of her system.

Mary

Old February 19th 08, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

We had this very conundrum last year.

We were informed we had to use "green" chemicals in a particular toilet. Now
one of our group is in the water industry and my background is HS&E. We wrote
to each and every toilet chemical supplier and they all stated that used at
the correct dilution as instructed on the container,

Also some Caravan Club sites in the remoter parts of the have normal disposal
points and only on one have I ever seen any notice referring to chemical use.
It was asking to ensure you ran the tap for 30 seconds after you had emptied
the tank.

It is of course only right if a site owner asks you to use a particular type
of chemical you do as they ask, and it has already been stated you do not
need to use chemicals at all.

Dave

Old February 19th 08, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:22:41 -0000, "Mark Stowell"
wrote:

Can anyone advise if there is a toilet chemical available that will not have
a detrimental effect on a septic tank system . Have asked at our local
caravan shop but they thought the usual ones, AquaKem and Elasan , including
the green varieties, shouldn't be used in a septic tank system. Our van is
stored in the garden and friends/ visitors use it when we have no space in
the house.
Tried a couple of queries on the Internet but no concrete info.

Many Thanks
Mark

Yes, there is! It's a clear liquid called BioMagic. I have mentioned
it here before.

It works by feeding the naturally occurring bacteria in body waste, so
that it is broken down aerobically. The effect of this is to break
the solid waste down into a liquid without odours. It is actually
beneficial to sceptic tank reaction. I believe(although I haven't
tried it myself) that it is possible to tip the resulting liquid
directly into the ground as a fertiliser.

I was sceptical but tried it anyway a couple of years ago. I was
amazed to find that it does exactly what it claims to do. I've been
using it ever since, when the loo is likely to admit solid waste.

At first it took a while to get used to complete absence of odour from
the toilet(having been used to the smell of the blue stuff for years).

The only down side is that if your waste holding tank contains only
urine, then it can't work because urine is sterile! The solution here
is to add a spoonful of bioactive yoghurt - apparently! )

HTH

Neil

Old February 20th 08, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Neil" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 20:22:41 -0000, "Mark Stowell"

... BioMagic.

Thanks for that, Neil. Can you only get it on-line?

Mary