Internet access on the move - mobile broadband?

Old February 21st 08, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Zeke

Default Internet access on the move - mobile broadband?

Cross-posted to uk.rec.waterways:

Looking to get set up for cruising this year with a different means
of
internet access. I have existed until recently with 0845 dial-up
using my free O2 minutes, but that is no more.

Under a little more pressure to get decent download speeds due to a
new outlet for my freelance journalism - the new client likes to work
by sending pdf's backwards and forwards.

Mobile broadband from Vodafone, 3 and T Mobile are on offer, but I
know that T Mobile coverage is crap on much of the routes that I
travel, and particularly bad at Cropredy where I will be spending a
week in August.

Vodafone seems favourite for mobile broadband, but the thing is,
will
it be worth paying for another contract, just to get it. or will the
reception be so crap that it's money wasted.

Also, will the cost of a year's contract, say 180 if I go for a 15
month package, be far more than what internet access would have cost
had I stuck with dial-up via my mobile. If so, are any mobile phones
faster than others, and is Blackberry totally out of the question?

(Sigh) I'm confused!

Old February 21st 08, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Zeke" wrote in message
[...]

I've Recently gone for the 3G USB dongle on Pay As You GO

It works ok from home , ( Not what I want !! )

I'm told it falls back to lower speeds whan the signal is poor

If it works well it's a tenner a month for 1Gig , 15 a month for 3Gig and 25 a
month for 7Gig

If you go over your allotted down load you don't get landed with a horrendous bill

You just go and by some more time ,

Your down load allowance lasts for a month and then exspires

At the moment I'm looking for a mini-mag mount suitable for 3G , that'll sit on
top of the Disco roof when needed

I don't want one of tthose glass mount antennas , there's not enough gain to make
it worth while

Regards and Good Luck

DieSea

Old February 22nd 08, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Zeke" wrote in message

[...]

I agree, it does seem a bit of a minefield. I quite like the idea of the 3
Network offer. In fact my son is having this in his flat rather than getting
a BT line installed. Currently I use Vodafone on GPRS which cost me 1 MB
and on a weeks holiday that soon mounts up. However I would say that as far
as connection is concerned Vodafone has not let me down. I will seriously
look at the 3 offer as it seems good value and the 1GB allowance would be
enough for me to use in the van. It does surprise me that more of the
networks have not cottened on to the fact there is business in personal
internet rather than just business. The real problem for me is what to use
when abroad. Lots of sites now have Wi-Fi but it would be simpler to stick
to the same network as you do at home. Apparently the EU Commissioner for
telecoms is looking for a serious reduction in data and text costs so that
might help.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old February 25th 08, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Zeke

On 22 Feb, 21:13, "David Klyne" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies - I'm tempted by the 3 offer, but worried about
their coverage (or lack of it)

Old February 25th 08, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Zeke" wrote in message

David - Milton Keyneswww.caravantravels.co.uk

Thanks for the replies - I'm tempted by the 3 offer, but worried about
their coverage (or lack of it)

Go for 3G

There is coverage over most of the country

You can purchase the USB modem and NOT be tied to a contract

Their coverage is going to improve certainly by MID Year , have a look at their
maps

If you PURCHASE the USB Dongle you just buy the airtime you need each month

If you use more you don't get landed with a frightening bill , it just cuts off

You purchase another chunk of data ,

If you don't want to use it that month then you don't buy data that month

Have a look at an earlier post of mine in this thread

I use about 3 Gig a month and that's being wasteful

If I was to curtail my use I would use less than 1 Gig a month so that's only
10.00

regards

DieSea

Old February 25th 08, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

"Zeke" wrote in message

[...]

3 have just tied up with T mobile & use their masts for 3g. I've just
changed to a 3 phone so far coverage has been excellent form south
coast to Manchester & out to Holyhead. 3 has the added advantage that
when you are in a country with a 3 network it works as though you are
a local customer & calls come off your free minutes, other countries
roaming in europe is 25p min 10p to receive. Very useful to me as I
just got back from Dublin 4th time so far this year.
3 networks in europe are Ireland, Denmark, Austria & Italy.

Lenny

Dark evenings - for better visibility fit
The NEW Osram NIGHT BREAKER Headlamp Bulbs
90% Brighter beam, 10% whiter light.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials