CC Site fees rumour

Old February 23rd 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

Default CC Site fees rumour

I was on a fully-booked site last week. On Friday, a caravanner (motor or
trailer) apparently cancelled an internet booking - on the internet - at
1920 in the evening. The warden was understandably miffed, as it left him
with an empty pitch to add to the two where pre-booked outfits had just not
turned up.

The rumour is that CC are considering changing the booking system to one
where payment in full is made at the time of booking, possibly with a small
additional "cancellation insurance" charge, to avoid the above scenario.

Any views?

Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

Old February 23rd 08, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Budgie wrote:
I was on a fully-booked site last week. On Friday, a caravanner (motor or
trailer) apparently cancelled an internet booking - on the internet - at
1920 in the evening. The warden was understandably miffed, as it left him
with an empty pitch to add to the two where pre-booked outfits had just not
turned up.

The rumour is that CC are considering changing the booking system to one
where payment in full is made at the time of booking, possibly with a small
additional "cancellation insurance" charge, to avoid the above scenario.

Any views?

Budgie

I'm all for it. The sooner these inconsiderate b*****ds feel the pain in
their pockets the better.

To do any good it'll also be necessary to ensure that bookings reflect
the actual pitch requirement or all bookings will end up being for
single unaccompanied drivers without anwings!

I'd go further and also seriously limit the proportion of pitches that
are bookable so that those of us who prefer not to plan our itinerary in
advance are left with a chance of getting a pitch.
Old February 23rd 08, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GaryB

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:17:25 GMT, "Budgie" wrote:

I was on a fully-booked site last week. On Friday, a caravanner (motor or
trailer) apparently cancelled an internet booking - on the internet - at
1920 in the evening. The warden was understandably miffed, as it left him
with an empty pitch to add to the two where pre-booked outfits had just not
turned up.

The rumour is that CC are considering changing the booking system to one
where payment in full is made at the time of booking, possibly with a small
additional "cancellation insurance" charge, to avoid the above scenario.

Any views?

Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

I think this is a great idea. At one time, the CC used to insist on a
deposit, but nowadays a tenner just isn't enough..

I would be willing to do this (as I do for some other non CC sites I
enjoy).
Although we have never fallen foul of 'no spaces', I can see it being
a right PITA for wardens and members.

Gary
4x4 RR, Carlight Countess 15/2, both 1994
Old February 23rd 08, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:17:25 GMT, "Budgie" wrote:

The rumour is that CC are considering changing the booking system to one
where payment in full is made at the time of booking, possibly with a small
additional "cancellation insurance" charge, to avoid the above scenario.

The CC stated in their January magazine what their policy was and that
they had no intention of changing it. When they first changed the
susytem to one where deposits were not taken they saw a decrease in
the number of no shows and an increase in the number of pitches that
were booked and used. Over time the number of bookings has risen to a
much higher level than was previously the case and the number of no
shows has risen to the point where it is no at the same level that it
was previously. They say that they are taking steps against people who
book pitches and do not cancel even to the point of rescinding the
membership of those who do it several times.

In view of the statements that the club has made it should be obvious
to anyone that the present system of booking is an enormous
improvement on the one where a booking fee was charged and that the
idea of asking for the full fee up front is totally and utterly
preposterous, the only people this would assist would be the money
crowd who seem to think that since they have so much money that they
should have immediate and exclusive access to all sorts of facilities.
Bill Lord

Old February 23rd 08, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Me

Bring it on.
I for one am irritated to be told sites are full and then find they had
spaces last minute due to no shows!!!

David

news

Old February 24th 08, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy[_3_]

Me said the following on 24/02/2008 00:21:
Bring it on.
I for one am irritated to be told sites are full and then find they had
spaces last minute due to no shows!!!

David

Agreed - or possibly a rolling maximum number of advanced bookings per
member with a minimal deposit. Past no-shows permanently decreasing the
number of available bookings to the member.

Roy
Old February 24th 08, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom[_7_]

"Roy" wrote in message
Me said the following on 24/02/2008 00:21:
Bring it on.
I for one am irritated to be told sites are full and then find they had
spaces last minute due to no shows!!!

David

Agreed - or possibly a rolling maximum number of advanced bookings per
member with a minimal deposit. Past no-shows permanently decreasing the
number of available bookings to the member.

Roy

Why not take it a stage further with an up front payment say 50 to join the
advance booking system with the money forfeited if a booking is not honoured
and the site given a no show fee, the participant being thrown out of the
scheme.

Old February 24th 08, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GaryB

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 00:12:53 +0000, bill lord
wrote:

SNIP

In view of the statements that the club has made it should be obvious
to anyone that the present system of booking is an enormous
improvement on the one where a booking fee was charged and that the
idea of asking for the full fee up front is totally and utterly
preposterous, the only people this would assist would be the money
crowd who seem to think that since they have so much money that they
should have immediate and exclusive access to all sorts of facilities.

Rubbish - at least for me. I budget for my holidays in advance, and I
save to do so. This works for me and probably many others. I think
many people might find your comments surprising. You must be careful
not to let the politics of envy get in the way of your arguments.

Bill Lord

....and we can see that you live to your signature. Congratulations..

4x4 RR, Carlight Countess 15/2, both 1994
Old February 24th 08, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:56:44 GMT, GaryB wrote:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 00:12:53 +0000, bill lord
wrote:

SNIP

In view of the statements that the club has made it should be obvious
to anyone that the present system of booking is an enormous
improvement on the one where a booking fee was charged and that the
idea of asking for the full fee up front is totally and utterly
preposterous, the only people this would assist would be the money
crowd who seem to think that since they have so much money that they
should have immediate and exclusive access to all sorts of facilities.

Rubbish - at least for me. I budget for my holidays in advance, and I
save to do so. This works for me and probably many others. I think
many people might find your comments surprising. You must be careful
not to let the politics of envy get in the way of your arguments.

Not politics of envy in the slightest, I am in the happy position of
being able to afford whatever I wish within reason, it is simply
noticeable that for the vast majority of minority group of people
posting on this topic seem to be in the position of being amongst the
moneyed classes. It is contrary to the ethos of the CC and would
destroy the very thing which separates the CC from every other
caravanning organisation, that being the ability to move on from a
site for whatever reason without having to consider the financial
penalty. This was my main gripe about the CCC which to me displayed a
typical commercial money grubbing attitude to it's sites in a way that
destroys the freedom to move on at a time which suits the caravanner.

Bill Lord

Old February 24th 08, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Budgie" wrote in message
news

The rumour is that CC are considering changing the booking system to one
where payment in full is made at the time of booking, possibly with a
small additional "cancellation insurance" charge, to avoid the above
scenario.

Any views?

Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

I am not sure where this 'rumour' has come from but as Bill has pointed out
it goes completely against the stated Club policy. Whilst there is a
minority of member that are clamouring for deposits what is being suggested
would be totally unacceptable. Might be fine for those with lots of money
but what about families booking their main two weeks in summer but having to
pay in December. We are lucky that we have the freedom of being retired and
can pick and choose when we go and at short notice even taking advantage of
mid week reductions.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk