LCD as Portable

Old February 24th 08, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T[_2_]

Default LCD as Portable

Just bought an Argos special a Mikomi lcd digi tv for 119.Its a 15 inch and
my idea was to replace my old Toshiba dumpy + freeview box (Asda) to lose
weight and gain space in the Caravan.This combo works very well in some
difficult areas even where Freeview is not supposed to exist.
On testing it in my living room I noticed that the signal stength bar was
only about 10% whereas the main tv has 100 %.(I can see Bluebell Hill in
Kent from the bedroom window which is the main transmitter for the area).
BBC one seemed ok but bbc flickered a bit as it does for poor signal. On
each channel the strenght meter appeared to give the same reading?

The other thing is the EPG display. I currently enjoy a spreadsheet type 7
day display of channels being received over which you can navigate at ease.
This new TV had a sort of now and next format you could extend (only one
channel at a time) by a few hours at a time in a list type display. Hard
work and slow compared to the old way.

Sorry to ramble on a bit but....
Should I expect a LCD digi to give as good results as an old dumpy with
seperate digi tuner.
Would a TV like this have problems in receiving signals at full stength if
available.(I used the same ariel for the test I mentionned)
Is this just a crap make..full price is 149 so not that cheap
Is there a name given to different EPG syatems so that if I replace this tv
I can look for the type I like.
Any recommendations for small lcds??
Its is cheap........refund or keep?

Tks for any musings

Old February 24th 08, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Capt T
writes
[...]

My freeview box has recently upgraded itself and switched from the list
type of EPG to the spreadsheet type. The old style is still available
but has to be selected optionally on a session basis.
Maybe your new TV has that option.

A 10% reading on your strength meter is very low, but the question is is
it the meter or is there something else wrong - like a crap receiver

What are your other channels like?
--
hugh
Old February 25th 08, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim[_9_]

"Capt T" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe you did this already, but if you tested in your van away from home
then it is still trying to find signals from the transmitter you tested it
on.

Re-install/reload the settings again then try again..

Jim

Old February 26th 08, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Just bought an Argos special a Mikomi lcd digi tv for 119.Its a 15 inch
and my idea was to replace my old Toshiba dumpy + freeview box (Asda) to
lose weight and gain space in the Caravan.This combo works very well in
some difficult areas even where Freeview is not supposed to exist.
On testing it in my living room I noticed that the signal stength bar was
only about 10% whereas the main tv has 100 %.(I can see Bluebell Hill in
Kent from the bedroom window which is the main transmitter for the area).
BBC one seemed ok but bbc flickered a bit as it does for poor signal. On
each channel the strenght meter appeared to give the same reading?

I bought the NIKKAI from Maplins. This works great at home and in the van.

The other thing is the EPG display. I currently enjoy a spreadsheet type
7 day display of channels being received over which you can navigate at
ease. This new TV had a sort of now and next format you could extend
(only one channel at a time) by a few hours at a time in a list type
display. Hard work and slow compared to the old way.

I have 4 digital TVs/ Digi boxes at home and all of them have different
EPGs. They even store the channels is different channel numbers.

Any recommendations for small lcds??

I have the NIKKAI 10" TV. It works great on both analog and digital.

I also use it in the van with the GOMAG digital mini satellite system and
can also plug my iPod in to watch movies off that.

John.

Old February 26th 08, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , John
writes
[...]

IS there any particular reason why all the manufacturers have gone to
10" . I have had 12 " and 14" but can't find either in LCD - probably
find they all get the screen from the same source.
--
hugh
Old February 26th 08, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T[_2_]

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , John
writes
[...]

I don`t know but I find 15 inch lcd is same as the dumpy measurement of
just under 12 " accross and 15" on the diagonal (the way is used to be
measured)
Any less than that and I would need to be very close to enjoy it.As the lcd
is for the foot of the bed so to speak it`s just about right.

Andy

Old February 27th 08, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

John pretended :
I bought the NIKKAI from Maplins. This works great at home and in the van.

Same here, but we rarely seem to stop where there is a terrestrial
signal hence we bought the Maplin sat system too.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old February 28th 08, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

I bought the NIKKAI from Maplins. This works great at home and in the
van.

Same here, but we rarely seem to stop where there is a terrestrial signal
hence we bought the Maplin sat system too.

It surprised me how easy it is to setup the sat system. I used to watch
other people struggle and thought it would be hard to do.

John.

Old February 28th 08, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

John was thinking very hard :
I bought the NIKKAI from Maplins. This works great at home and in the van.

Same here, but we rarely seem to stop where there is a terrestrial signal
hence we bought the Maplin sat system too.

It surprised me how easy it is to setup the sat system. I used to watch
other people struggle and thought it would be hard to do.

I dare say it can be quite time consuming, if you have no idea of the
correct elevation and compass direction to aim for, but my dish has the
sat finder attachment - just a rough compass combined with a elevation
indication. That makes it an absolute doddle to do - 5 minutes to align
and quicker than setting up a terrestrial antenna.

There is a lot of sky up there and even a rough guide helps a lot.

Old March 2nd 08, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , John
writes
I bought the NIKKAI from Maplins. This works great at home and in the van.

Have you got Teletext to work on Freeview?
--
hugh