How to setup weight distributing hitch

Old February 25th 08, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neville MADDEN

Default How to setup weight distributing hitch

Good morning

Although this is a UK Group and I'm here in Australia members of the group
have been helpfull about my 20 year old 4mr caravan, without any user manuals.

So now I come to the weight distributing system....

It appears to be an early model Hayman
Reese weight distributing system. It consists of:
adaptor (head) that bolts on on to the tow ball flange using the tow ball.
It has with two vertical holes either side of the tow ball. It comes with

2 x 1mr long trunnion bars with right angle bends at one end with clips

2 x 300mm long chains with large (50mm) O Rings

Angle iron brackets onthe caravan A frame with notches for chain

I have seen a diagram of this system and it seems like the short end
of the bar goes into the tow ball adaptor from the bottom up. After
that I dunno.

My question is how do I get the chain links into the bracket on the A
frame without busting my back or using a jack on a round 20mm diameter
bar. From what I have read the bars have to be tightened so that the
A frame of the caravan is level. The newer models have an excentric
cam on the A frame and they are rotated with a small bar and then locked.

This is one solution offered ...

First off it needs to be adjusted right. Not gonna be a right answer
if its not. First drop the tongue down on the ball just as it puts
weight on the truck stop and hook and latch the chains, then let the
trailor all the way down. Your bars should be straight even with the
tounge. The nose of the trailor should be lower than the rear of the
trailor. If not it wont pull very good.

An afternoon spent googling did not give me any better answers.

Thanks
Neville
Cootamundra NSW
Old February 25th 08, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On 25 Feb, 01:13, (Neville MADDEN) wrote:
[...]

Not sure, but a system similar was used in France. It seems to be a
safety device to make sure when towing the caravan doesn't get out of
control due to the way its loaded etc. It is designed to stop the
caravan from swaying side to side, also it is to stop the car and
caravan dipping and raising at the hitch when going over unevern
ground etc. Basically, if the van is loaded correctly to the
manufactures specifications, and the car has good strong springs there
really is no problem, the device only comes into play when the
vehicles are uneven and not stable.

Sorry I can't help more.

Old February 25th 08, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Hi I have just found this site, there are peples comments about your
system there, plus you can post and ask about it too!

http://www.goseeaustralia.com.au/forumspage.asp

Hope this helps!
Vivien (UK)