sierra auto as tug ?

Old February 28th 08, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John White[_4_]

Default sierra auto as tug ?

I have just bought a really nice sierra 2.0 auto. I am intending to use it
as a tug. The only thing that worries me is that it is auto. Do you know of
any pit falls I should look out for. Should I fit an oil cooler to the gear
box or temp gauge in the dash and so on .
Thanks in advance JOHN

Old February 29th 08, 07:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On 28 Feb, 21:17, "John White" wrote:
I have just bought a really nice sierra 2.0 auto. I am intending to use it
as a tug. The only thing that worries me is that it is auto. Do you know of
any pit falls I should look out for. Should I fit an oil cooler to the gear
box or temp gauge in the dash and so on .
Thanks in advance JOHN

It is wise to think about fitting a cooler. Must auto cars need one,
especially when towing, not so bad on the flat, but up inclines and
hills! You know when its having trouble without, the drive will begin
to slip, plus a smell of buring oil.
Old February 29th 08, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gary[_5_]

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:32:36 -0000, hugh ] wrote:

I have used autos as tow cars for the past 15 years or so and never a
problem

2 Volvos, 2 Jeeps, 1 Land Rover Defender and 1 VW Transporter T4 based
campervan pulling twin axle Abbey GT and Spectrums

The Defender was an automatic?
The V8?
I think you may find that towing ability was 'built into' the LR 90. It
was already more than capable.

--
Gary
Photog
Old February 29th 08, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Trefor

Most modern autos already have an oil cooler for the transmission, either
within the main radiator, or just below it.

You should be able to see 2 pipes from the transmission going to the
radiator.

I towed a 4 berth caravan for many years with a '95 2L mondeo auto with no
problems whatsoever.

What could be a concern is the general condition for towing, of the Sierra ,
which must be at least 15 years old ; if it's less than 80k miles and
regularly serviced it should be OK

Trefor

Old February 29th 08, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Gary
writes
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:32:36 -0000, hugh ] wrote:

I have used autos as tow cars for the past 15 years or so and never a
problem

2 Volvos, 2 Jeeps, 1 Land Rover Defender and 1 VW Transporter T4
based campervan pulling twin axle Abbey GT and Spectrums

The Defender was an automatic?
The V8?
I think you may find that towing ability was 'built into' the LR 90. It
was already more than capable.

Yup 50th Anniversary Ltd edition - converted to LPG

4.0 litre RR engine and Disco auto gearbox.
--
hugh
Old February 29th 08, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John White[_4_]

Thanks for so many replies. I now have more to go on .
It is a 1992 auto very low mileage Much less in fact than the 80k mentioned
above. Has been serviced every year (regardless of low mileage)
So it seems it should be OK . I will check with ford them selves to see if
the cooler (Which is indeed at the end of the rad as suggested here) Is man
enough for the job.
Thanks again John

Old March 1st 08, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gary[_5_]

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:51:52 -0000, hugh ] wrote:

The Defender was an automatic?
The V8?
I think you may find that towing ability was 'built into' the LR 90. It
was already more than capable.

Yup 50th Anniversary Ltd edition - converted to LPG

4.0 litre RR engine and Disco auto gearbox.

Well there you are - good out of the box

Old March 4th 08, 04:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

I had a Mondeo auto (2 litre) and it was a pig to tow with. When dropping a
gear from overdrive top, it sounded as if the engine was falling out of the
car. I towed a 1100kg Buerstner and the slightest incline would cause the
box to change down.

Jim