Poland / Germany

Old February 29th 08, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Smith

Default Poland / Germany

My wife and I hope to drive from Calais, across Germany and into
southern to mid Poland.

In the UK we like small 5 van type sites. I understand that there are
Stelplatz in Germany that work like the aires in France. Are there any
similar set ups in Poland? Are they safe to stay on? Has anybody got
any advice/recommendations for sites or general matters etc in Poland
(or even Germany) please?

Thanks in advance
Old March 1st 08, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bob

Dave Smith wrote:
My wife and I hope to drive from Calais, across Germany and into
southern to mid Poland.

In the UK we like small 5 van type sites. I understand that there are
Stelplatz in Germany that work like the aires in France. Are there any
similar set ups in Poland? Are they safe to stay on? Has anybody got
any advice/recommendations for sites or general matters etc in Poland
(or even Germany) please?

Thanks in advance

**** off Dave, in real life, who (apart from 3rd reich) would want to go
to poland, they are all trying to get in here....hmmmm.....maybe you
have a masterplan whereby we all eventually slip over there un-noticed
and leave this alien infested country (UK) and start anew....

It would be funny to watch the repatriation of the poles to their
homeland because they could not obtain substandard accomodation from
their landlords (the asians) who now own the majority of the lower class
housing......i feel a rebellion may be in the offing, to retrieve the
slums and repatriate the ethnic minorities (spelling)to the glorious
homelands of Islamabad (slum) or whatever other midden they sprang forth
from. Also, if anyone is interested, i have some excellant cartoons of
"Allah" romping naked with 3 young men in a bed of pig offal....all
seemingly enjoying themselves ?....no harm in that eh!...another real
funny is the one where he is being buggered by George Bush...whilst
appearing to enjoy a "Hamburger" ..Classic...well....i suppose i should
just sit back and await the Jihad that will be imposed upon me (Yawn)
for laffing at such criteria.....

hey....did you see the footage of HRH Harry shooting the Taliban...WOW!!
was that kewl or what!!!...power to the royals....thats wot i say, i
wonder if he killed enough of em.....i spose not

Allah a muhad ajingo alamere
Old March 1st 08, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim[_9_]

"bob" wrote in message ...
Dave Smith wrote:
[...]

PLEASE, PLEASE IGNORE THIS ******* - DON'T FEED THE TROLLS ON THIS ONE!

Jim

Old March 1st 08, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy[_3_]

Jim said the following on 01/03/2008 09:11:

PLEASE, PLEASE IGNORE THIS ******* - DON'T FEED THE TROLLS ON THIS ONE!

Jim

Nice one Jim
Old March 1st 08, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
My wife and I hope to drive from Calais, across Germany and into southern
to mid Poland.

In the UK we like small 5 van type sites. I understand that there are
Stelplatz in Germany that work like the aires in France. Are there any
similar set ups in Poland? Are they safe to stay on? Has anybody got any
advice/recommendations for sites or general matters etc in Poland (or even
Germany) please?

Thanks in advance

Last year we went right across Germany, stopping at Aachen, Limburg an der
Lahn, and Chemnitz to Zittau close to the borders of Poland and the Czech
Republic. We then moved on to Berlin and returned from there stopping in
Deventer in Holland and Ghent in Belgium. It proved to be one of the most
interesting trips we have ever had. The campsite at Zittau is modern and
very high tech and has been built around a lake that was once an open cast
coal mine. From here we were able to cycle across a part of Poland into the
Czech Republic and then back into Germany. Passports checked in and out
each time. Although a lot of work is being done, the roads in Poland are
still quite rough and we are a bit nervous about taking the caravan. Our
opinions on the roads are based mainly on hearsay and what we saw of about
12 miles near the border at Zittau. Whereas the suspension of a car can
cope with a few potholes and ruts it would probably wreck a caravan.

At no time did we prebook a site. Just arrived on spec and were made very
welcome everywhere. We do have the Caravan Club International Camping
Carnet and this seems to work like magic everywhere except Ghent where they
demanded I leave a passport as well. I did not like this so stayed a couple
of nights and shall not go there again. All the sites were found using
Volume 2 of the Caravan Club's guide -Caravan Europe. I know nothing of
'Stelplatz' as we have a small caravan and prefer sites with electric
hookups and showers etc. Euros were acceptable in Poland and Czech in the
restaurants, shops and bars where we were cycling.

Next month we are off to Berlin again and then hope to go on up to the
Baltic to a site at Freest near the island of Usedom. We want to have a
look at Peenemunde in Germany where the rocket that got our house in 1944
came from. There is a museum of rocket research there now. This is also
close to the Polish border so we shall visit again on our bikes.

Our journey started and finished at Ouistreham in France as we live close to
the ferry port at Portsmouth.

If I can help with anything else please ask.

Old March 1st 08, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Dave Smith" wrote in message

We then moved on to Berlin and returned from there stopping in
Deventer in Holland and Ghent in Belgium.

Dave if you don't mind me asking where did you stay in Berlin as we are
likely to be heading that way in a couple of months time?

We do have the Caravan Club International Camping
Carnet and this seems to work like magic everywhere except Ghent where
they demanded I leave a passport as well.

Did that happen to be Camping Blaarmeersen by any chance? If so it was the
same when we stayed but they did only keep it foe a short while to complere
their formalities!

Sorry to hi-jack the original post, it certainly sounds an interesting trip.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old March 2nd 08, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"David Klyne" wrote in message

"Dave D" wrote in message

"Dave Smith" wrote in message

We then moved on to Berlin and returned from there stopping in
Deventer in Holland and Ghent in Belgium.

Dave if you don't mind me asking where did you stay in Berlin as we are
likely to be heading that way in a couple of months time?

David
Some German caravanners we met at Zittau recommended the German Caravan Club
site DCC Campingplatz Gatow at Kladower Damm. This is a fairly new site
and you can catch a bus outside to get directly to Berlin centre. We in
fact took a wrong turning and ended up at DCC Campingplatz Berlin-Kladow.
This was an older site consisting mainly of old static vans and huts in
thick woodland. The touring facilities were perfectly adequate but it is a
bit further from Berlin centre and requires a change of buses. Both are in
the CC Caravan Europe Volume 2. Our next trip starts on the 22nd April
from Portsmouth and we hope to be in Berlin sometime during the first week
in May. This time I have a TomTom satnav and have programmed in the
recommended DCC Campingplatz Gatow.

We do have the Caravan Club International Camping
Carnet and this seems to work like magic everywhere except Ghent where
they demanded I leave a passport as well.

Did that happen to be Camping Blaarmeersen by any chance? If so it was the
same when we stayed but they did only keep it for a short while to
complete their formalities!

Yes it was Camping Blaarmeersen. I know you have been there and it it was a
perfectly nice site. It was spoilt for us as we were there at a weekend and
were kept awake the whole of one night by a crowd of about 30 young Belgian
or Dutch men who had rented a group of wooden huts in the centre of the
site. They were drinking heavily and sounded as though they were wrecking
the huts. I thought after insisting I leave my passport as well as the
camping carnet at the reception it was going to be a disciplined outfit but
there seemed to be no staff members about at night. It was the noisiest
campsite we have ever encountered and many of us complained.

Sorry to hi-jack the original post, it certainly sounds an interesting
trip.
David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

It certainly was and has given us ideas for the next few years. As long as
the legs keep going :-)
Regards.

Old March 2nd 08, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Dave D" wrote in message

[...]

Dave

Thanks for the info, I have printed it off for future reference.

Interesting your experience at Blaarmeersen, we had almost the same
situation once when we stayed at a site in Vienna. We thought we had found a
nice quiet spot opposite an area of roped off grass. Perhaps it was our
Caravan Club Site experiences that made us think the grass was being rested.
How wrong could we have been! Not long after we arrived a coach appeared and
put up a massive army style tent. They did not sleep all weekend, nor did
we!

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old March 3rd 08, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 10:40:13 GMT, "Dave D"
wrote:

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
[...]

We have just had a holiday in Poland without the van did a fair bit of
traveling by bus. We went to Zakopane Polands No.1 ski resort it was
beautiful the small town has 4 camp sites very popular for hikers in
the summer. Also went to Krakow didn't rate that much. What we saw of
the roads varied from as good as anyway in europe to pretty rough
although the potholes had been filled you wouldn't want to take a
caravan on them.

At no time did we prebook a site. Just arrived on spec and were made very
welcome everywhere. We do have the Caravan Club International Camping
Carnet and this seems to work like magic everywhere except Ghent where they
demanded I leave a passport as well. I did not like this so stayed a couple
of nights and shall not go there again. All the sites were found using
Volume 2 of the Caravan Club's guide -Caravan Europe. I know nothing of
'Stelplatz' as we have a small caravan and prefer sites with electric
hookups and showers etc. Euros were acceptable in Poland and Czech in the
restaurants, shops and bars where we were cycling.

Didn't find anyware that would accept Euro but CC taken & plenty of
ATM's.

Lenny

Dark evenings - for better visibility fit
The NEW Osram NIGHT BREAKER Headlamp Bulbs
90% Brighter beam, 10% whiter light.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials