50mbar or not to 50mbar?

Old March 1st 08, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Darren B

Default 50mbar or not to 50mbar?

We have a German camper import which had 50mbar regulators for the gas
system, heating, fridge and cooker. We just swapped the regulator for
a 30mbar propane and it seems to work fine.

Is this OK to do this, or what is the protocol?

What do the differences mean?
Old March 3rd 08, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:59:55 +0000, Darren B
wrote:

We have a German camper import which had 50mbar regulators for the gas
system, heating, fridge and cooker. We just swapped the regulator for
a 30mbar propane and it seems to work fine.

Is this OK to do this, or what is the protocol?

What do the differences mean?

You will find your appliances will be less efficient as the gas jets
will be of the correct size for 50mbar so will burn with a much
smaller flame.
50mbar is the old German standard I think they changed to 30mbar in
2000.
You should be able to obtain new gas jets, worth changing then
everything will run as is should.

Lenny

Dark evenings - for better visibility fit
The NEW Osram NIGHT BREAKER Headlamp Bulbs
90% Brighter beam, 10% whiter light.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials

Old March 3rd 08, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Darren B

wrote:

We have a German camper import which had 50mbar regulators for the gas
system, heating, fridge and cooker. We just swapped the regulator for
a 30mbar propane and it seems to work fine.

Is this OK to do this, or what is the protocol?

What do the differences mean?

You will find your appliances will be less efficient as the gas jets
will be of the correct size for 50mbar so will burn with a much
smaller flame.
50mbar is the old German standard I think they changed to 30mbar in
2000.
You should be able to obtain new gas jets, worth changing then
everything will run as is should.

Seems to be working fine anyway although in the heavy wind at the
weekend blowing onto the vent side of the van, when I turned the
cooker on I could see the flame rising/lowering in line with wind
speed!!

The Truma vent has a cover on that you are supposed to take off in
use, which then exposes a large bore vent to the elements, no elbow or
anything!

I forgot to take it off once and the boiler would not light just kept
going to red. Anyway after a dozen or so attempts I heard a poof and
something falling on the floor outside. It turns out the vent had
blown off due to pressure for some reason! Once that was off it all
worked fine as usual although it's not an airtight seal anyway.

Do I really need to be messing around with these jets as I imagine
they are hard to get at between the boiler/fire/fridge/cooker?

On another note one of the interior bulbs has gone. It's a 22w cool
white circular fluorescent job. Cant seem to find any 12volt ones any
where, any ideas?

Thanks
Old March 3rd 08, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Darren B

wrote:

[...]

PS the bulb label on mine states ILESA 22W cool white / K33 made in
EEC z438

Old March 4th 08, 04:27 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Why change to 30mb? 50mb regulators are commonly available over here. I
think mobile homes and domestic systems use them and they are made to fit
propane tanks. See http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/Products.aspx?id=12&CatId=90

Jim

Old March 4th 08, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Darren B

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 05:27:46 GMT, "Jim"
wrote:

Why change to 30mb? 50mb regulators are commonly available over here. I
think mobile homes and domestic systems use them and they are made to fit
propane tanks.

Good point. I did not realise that over here. I presume red was red
and blue was blue and that was it. Getting a 50mbar UK regulator would
certainly solve any issues I had for my camper, not that any were
apparent in the short term anyway.

I wonder what regulators the fixed tanks use, you know the ones that
you fill up at the petrol station which is what we are hoping to get
presently?

See http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/Products.aspx?id=12&CatId=90

Excellent thank you.

I wonder if there are any other differences between regulator
pressures, like economy etc?

.. .

Old March 7th 08, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Gazz

wrote:

I wonder what regulators the fixed tanks use, you know the ones that
you fill up at the petrol station which is what we are hoping to get
presently?

the fixed tanks use what ever regulator you specify hen you order it, i got
mine with an adjustable regulator, as i origionaly had the old 37mbar
appliances, but planned to build another motorhome in the future, taking the
gas tank off the old van for the new un, when i did this all the new
appliances i fitted were 30 millibars, so i just connected a manomiter to
the bbq point i fitted, and set the regulator to 30mbar.

but you can easily get a 50mbar regulator for a gas tank, hymers being
german used to be 50mbar, and lots of them have gas tanks fitted.
: your fluorescent tube, no such thing as a 12 volt tube, they all strike
and run on about 100 volts, a mains fitting drops the voltage down, a 12
volt fitting inverts it up, they only need a few milliamps to run.

so just go to any diy shop and buy a 22 watt tube with the same size and
connections as yours... or go to a caravan shop and pay 4 times the price
for the same item.

Old March 10th 08, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Darren B

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:07:41 -0000, "Gazz" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I wonder what regulators the fixed tanks use, you know the ones that
you fill up at the petrol station which is what we are hoping to get
presently?

the fixed tanks use what ever regulator you specify hen you order it, i got
mine with an adjustable regulator, as i origionaly had the old 37mbar
appliances, but planned to build another motorhome in the future, taking the
gas tank off the old van for the new un, when i did this all the new
appliances i fitted were 30 millibars, so i just connected a manomiter to
the bbq point i fitted, and set the regulator to 30mbar.

but you can easily get a 50mbar regulator for a gas tank, hymers being
german used to be 50mbar, and lots of them have gas tanks fitted.

I'm now wondering about the costs of autogas installs. MTH keep adding
this, that and the other on to the total. I started out thinking it
was 350+delivery....it's now over 475 and I still need to fit it
myself! Got me to thinking if I use 13kg every 2 weeks, say for 26
weeks per annum. less the cost of what calor would be anyway (around
96ppl) I'm wondering if LPG at 55ppl is going to work out. I make it I
will save around 110pa at those figures. So over four years to recoup
the cost! I imagine main use would be UK mainland anyway.

: your fluorescent tube, no such thing as a 12 volt tube, they all strike
and run on about 100 volts, a mains fitting drops the voltage down, a 12
volt fitting inverts it up, they only need a few milliamps to run.

so just go to any diy shop and buy a 22 watt tube with the same size and
connections as yours...

I did try a couple of the square 16w types 2pin and 4pin but these did
not work so I thought I was stuffed. However when I placed the old
bulb back in the lamp it started working again!! so it looks like I
may have a dodgy connection somewhere. I'll try them again on that
note :-))

or go to a caravan shop and pay 4 times the price
for the same item.

I had noticed. 13 each!
Old March 11th 08, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

. ..
wrote:

I'm now wondering about the costs of autogas installs. MTH keep adding
this, that and the other on to the total. I started out thinking it
was 350+delivery....it's now over 475 and I still need to fit it
myself! Got me to thinking if I use 13kg every 2 weeks, say for 26
weeks per annum. less the cost of what calor would be anyway (around
96ppl) I'm wondering if LPG at 55ppl is going to work out. I make it I
will save around 110pa at those figures. So over four years to recoup
the cost! I imagine main use would be UK mainland anyway.

Cost saving only comes into the equation if you are a heavy user it's
more about convenience when touring abroad, always being able to get
gas & no heavy cylinders to lump about.
Campirara in Belgium who we have the new Hymer on order with quoted
600 for 2 x 11kg Gasglow cylinders fitted with external filler,. We
ended up getting it for free though as my mate was ordering the same
van at the same time, dealer doing as an extra discount.

http://www.carcare.org.uk