Trip to Austria

Old March 4th 08, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

Default Trip to Austria

Hi,

I am intending to tow the van to Austria this summer. Has anyone any
favourite routes and/or recommend some over-night stops. Although I suspect
I could push to do it in two days, I suspect I would find three more
comfortable - certainly on the way out.

Many thanks for any help given

Jim

Old March 4th 08, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 22:33:38 GMT, "Jim"
wrote:

Hi,

I am intending to tow the van to Austria this summer. Has anyone any
favourite routes and/or recommend some over-night stops. Although I suspect
I could push to do it in two days, I suspect I would find three more
comfortable - certainly on the way out.

Many thanks for any help given

I don't know anything about european towing I have never done it, but
I suspect it would be easier to use a car to tow with rather than push
it. (:-)
Hopefully someone will come along who can give you a more serious
answer.

Bill Lord

Old March 4th 08, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller[_2_]

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi,

I am intending to tow the van to Austria this summer. Has anyone any
favourite routes and/or recommend some over-night stops. Although I
suspect I could push to do it in two days, I suspect I would find three
more comfortable - certainly on the way out.

Many thanks for any help given

Jim

Which bit of Austria are you going to and from which port? Do you want to
avoid French tolls? Could make a difference to the route. Last year we went
to Salzburg in 2 days from Calais via Luxembourg and then the A8 Autobahn
and had a nightmare journey because it is being converted from a 2 lane to 3
lane road for most of its length and was a sea of roadworks. This may still
be ongoing, so it might be worth checking. We came back from Innsbruck area
via the Arlsberg tunnel and Lake Constance. Picturesque and easy route, but
a bit more detail about your plans might get you a more helpful answer.
Also, what do you define as Summer? If you're going outside the main
July/August period, you could use Camping Cheque sites or the ACSI discount
card which might save a bit of money.

John Miller

Old March 5th 08, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi,

I am intending to tow the van to Austria this summer. Has anyone any
favourite routes and/or recommend some over-night stops. Although I
suspect I could push to do it in two days, I suspect I would find three
more comfortable - certainly on the way out.

Many thanks for any help given

Jim

We have been to Austria a couple of times and its on the itinerary for this
year. I think the easiest route is down through Germany, a pain in the neck
as far as towing speed is concerned but no tolls! However you will need a
motorway vignette for Austria but you only need it for the car and its not
too expensive. The last time we went we did the Fern Pass and then onto
Innsbruck, en route to Italy. Rüdesheim am Rhein is about 350 miles from
Calais and is about half way to Innsbruck. Where were you thinking of
heading in Austria?

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old March 5th 08, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dystopia

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:23:07 -0000, "David Klyne"
wrote:

Snip

I think the easiest route is down through Germany, a pain in the neck
as far as towing speed is concerned but no tolls! However you will need a
motorway vignette for Austria but you only need it for the car and its not
too expensive.

Can I chip in and as what a 'motorway vignette' is and what it is for?
Also are there any special documentation required in any other EU
country?
Old March 5th 08, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Dystopia" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:23:07 -0000, "David Klyne"
wrote:

Snip

I think the easiest route is down through Germany, a pain in the neck
as far as towing speed is concerned but no tolls! However you will need a
motorway vignette for Austria but you only need it for the car and its not
too expensive.

Can I chip in and as what a 'motorway vignette' is and what it is for?
Also are there any special documentation required in any other EU
country?

Some countries charge tolls as you travel, like France, Spain and Italy but
others like Austria and Switzerland require a vignette (windscreen sticker)
to use their motorways. In Switzerland you have to have one for both car and
caravan and you can only buy them annually. Austria only requires the car to
have a vignette and you can buy short term ones quite cheaply.

As far as documents are concerned you need:-

Passport, driving License, insurance document, car registration document,
written permission from the owner if you do not own the car. I don't claim
this as a definitative list but the motoring organisation with have that on
their websites. If camping in Europe its also handy to have a CCI (Camping
Card International) as this can often be used in lieu of a passport as it
guarantees the campsite owner third party insurance if you default on
payment! It can also secure discounts on site fees.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old March 6th 08, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"David Klyne" wrote in message

"Dystopia" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:23:07 -0000, "David Klyne"
wrote:

Snip

I think the easiest route is down through Germany, a pain in the neck
as far as towing speed is concerned but no tolls! However you will need a
motorway vignette for Austria but you only need it for the car and its
not
too expensive.

Can I chip in and as what a 'motorway vignette' is and what it is for?
Also are there any special documentation required in any other EU
country?

Some countries charge tolls as you travel, like France, Spain and Italy
but others like Austria and Switzerland require a vignette (windscreen
sticker) to use their motorways. In Switzerland you have to have one for
both car and caravan and you can only buy them annually. Austria only
requires the car to have a vignette and you can buy short term ones quite
cheaply.

What David Klyne says is important. A friend of ours driving a camping car
into Hungary last year was unaware of the necessity to buy a vignette. He
was stopped by police on a motorway just a couple of kilometres inside the
country and fined 80 Euros on the spot. He is rather bitter because it was
not a deliberate infringement but you can read about it in the CC guide. I
have only been into Austria once and we got the vignette at a petrol station
on the border.
Regards.
David.

Old March 7th 08, 04:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim

"John Miller" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

John and others,

Thank you for the replies.

We intend to visit Salzburg first and then go on to Vienna. We will be
leaving during the last few days of August and returning in the first few
days of October. I seem to remember reading in a magazine that roadworks
in Germany caused a problem last year. As the A8 is being widened along its
whole length I will have to check what its status is nearer the time. Any
views of overnight stops or sites in Austria?

Jim Johnson

Old March 7th 08, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Pleavin[_2_]

It is also important to stick the vignette onto your windscreen as directed
and not via bluetac as I did. Why? Because that also attracts a E80
on-the-spot fine as I found out.Enjoy the trip, Harry

"Dystopia" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 19:23:07 -0000, "David Klyne"

Snip

Old March 8th 08, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller[_2_]

"Jim" wrote in message

"John Miller" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi,

I am intending to tow the van to Austria this summer. John and
others,

Thank you for the replies.

We intend to visit Salzburg first and then go on to Vienna. We will be
leaving during the last few days of August and returning in the first few
days of October. I seem to remember reading in a magazine that roadworks
in Germany caused a problem last year. As the A8 is being widened along
its whole length I will have to check what its status is nearer the time.
Any views of overnight stops or sites in Austria?

Jim Johnson

Jim

For what it's worth, we travelled to Austria from Calais via Dunkirk, Lille,
Luxembourg & Saarbrucken, staying overnight at Ombachsee just off the A6
(Camping Cheques site - good) then over to Karlsruhe and the nightmare on
the A8. Attraction of this route is that it is toll free but still almost
all good dual carriageway or motorway. We stayed at another Camping Cheques
site in Germany near Reit-im-Winkl when we visited Salzburg. Excellent site
and really pictureque area with easy drive to Salzburg. Can't help after
that as we then went South to Carinthia. If the A8 is still being dug-up,
you could consider going the way we came back - across to Luxembourg as
before, then down A31 past Nancy and across to Colmar, Freiburg & Black
Forest. All free and mostly motorway. Both the Alsace and the Black Forest
are worth a look if you're not in too much of a hurry. There are lots of
good German sites depending upon how far you want to travel in a day and I
would recommend the Caravan Club European Sites book if you don't already
have one. We bought our Austrian Vignettes at a service station on the A8 in
Germany. Nowhere near as expensive as the Swiss ones!

John Miller