Swiss Mountain Passes - Vehicle Width Limits?

Old March 7th 08, 05:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Campervanman[_4_]

Default Swiss Mountain Passes - Vehicle Width Limits?

Can any reader please advise of an internet site where the present vehicle
width limits for Swiss Mountain passes can be checked.
I have some data from a site called Moto Europa
http://www.ideamerge.com/motoeuropa/...ml#switzerland
which is still the same as it was in 2000, which states that the width limit
on several passes including the Klausen, Furka and Grimsell passes is 2.32M
(7.5 Feet). Some passes have a wider limit, such as the Susten Pass.

This is too small for my campervan which is 2.45M wide.

Is anyone aware if the roads through these passes (Klausen, Furka & Grimsel)
have been widened in recent years to accommodate larger vehicles.

I suppose I can find out from a tourist office when I get the Switzerland,
but it would be most helpful to know in advance for planning our route.

Please reply to the group as the email address is an antispam phantom.

Cheers,
Campervanman.

Old March 7th 08, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Campervanman" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know the answer to your question but when we went over the Grimsel
Pass last year (car only) a couple of quite large motor homes, are they
known as A class, followed us down from the summit. The only thing that
seemed to bother them was their brakes as the stopped to check them on the
way down.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk