Durham..Good??

Old March 12th 08, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T[_2_]

Default Durham..Good??

Any recommendations for adult only CL or sites in general for the Durham
Area. Apart from the Cathedral what are the best visits for the area.
We are travelling up from Kent so guess York is a good place to
overnight..unless someone knows better.

Tia

Old March 12th 08, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Capt T
writes
Any recommendations for adult only CL or sites in general for the Durham
Area. Apart from the Cathedral what are the best visits for the area.
We are travelling up from Kent so guess York is a good place to
overnight..unless someone knows better.

Tia

Beamish model village
Weardale generally and Killhope mining museum.
Teesdale and High Force
The coast (Durham Heritage Coast)
Depends what sort of things you're interested in.
birthplace of the railways, Stockton Darlington.
Bowes Museum
Binchester Roman fort

Don't know about adult only sites.
But if you want a comedy show there's always Newcastle United Football
Club. :-)
--
hugh
Old March 12th 08, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

hugh wrote:
In message , Capt T
writes

Any recommendations for adult only CL or sites in general for the Durham
Area. Apart from the Cathedral what are the best visits for the area.
We are travelling up from Kent so guess York is a good place to
overnight..unless someone knows better.

Tia

Beamish model village
Weardale generally and Killhope mining museum.
Teesdale and High Force
The coast (Durham Heritage Coast)
Depends what sort of things you're interested in.
birthplace of the railways, Stockton Darlington.
Bowes Museum
Binchester Roman fort

Don't know about adult only sites.
But if you want a comedy show there's always Newcastle United Football
Club. :-)

Adult only - forget it. On Cls here children are unlikely to be a problem.

Other than the CC site there are 5 CLs. I'd avoid the one to the NW on
the A691 - rather too close to a road which can be busy. Baxter Wood
Farm to the west looks very nice on Google Earth - it would be my first
choice. The Rowing Club one is central but small. Rag Path Cottage
should be quiet but it's difficult to visualise from above. Grove Farm
to the south, open but 'uninspiring'. Add to those a commercial site at
Finchale Abbey about 3.5 miles due north. I live too close to have
stayed on any of them.

As a resident one tends not to think about visitor attractions but
Hugh's list is a good start. If you have any particular interests make
them known and we'll do our best to help.

Be aware that Durham is very anti-car. The city council has made
shopping with a car in the city centre a most unpleasant experience with
the result that many of the locals don't go there any more. Then people
wonder why the shops are so poor - if they're still in business.
Old March 12th 08, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:57:57 +0000, Dougal
wrote:

Baxter Wood
Farm to the west looks very nice on Google Earth - it would be my first
choice

Baxter wood farm is a very pleasant place but very basic. Mind you it
is 12 years since we there last. It was the place we always chose to
go to when my son was at the university there.
Bill Lord

Old March 13th 08, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

wrote:

Baxter Wood
Farm to the west looks very nice on Google Earth - it would be my first
choice

Baxter wood farm is a very pleasant place but very basic.

.... just how I like CLs to be!
Old March 13th 08, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T[_2_]

What do you mean re cls and kids? Do you mean rarely used by children or
parents wielding large sticks?

As to "what to do" we like history both medieval and recent industrial
1900 -1950 say, a lively centre for food and drink, fresh air no crowds,
scenery, a supermarket for easy supplies. No hassle or muggings.

With Durham..some sort of park and ride working?

.. :-)

Old March 13th 08, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Capt T wrote:

What do you mean re cls and kids? Do you mean rarely used by children or
parents wielding large sticks?

I'd assumed that you wanted to get away from kids. Rarely used by kids
from what I've seen.

As to "what to do" we like history both medieval and recent industrial
1900 -1950 say, a lively centre for food and drink, fresh air no crowds,
scenery, a supermarket for easy supplies. No hassle or muggings.

Hugh's suggestions probably cover your historical interests fairly well.

Scenery is probably best to the west and you'll avoid the crowds out
there, too. There is food and drink in the town centre but I'm not
qualified to recommend or otherwise.

Sainsbury's, Lidl, M&S Food at the north west corner. Tesco, Aldi at the
east side.

With Durham..some sort of park and ride working?

The park and ride is quite good, certainly for the visitor. There are
three pickup points at present to the north east (A690/A1M junction),
west (A167/A691 junction) and south (A177)
http://www.durham.gov.uk/parkride/us...de+-+Home+Page