very small caravan/pop top/folder etc

Old March 12th 08, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gazz

Default very small caravan/pop top/folder etc

Humour me please.....

i'm thinking of selling our motorhome (the KampenWagen, if that name rings a
bell you'll know the vehicle i'm talking about) a drastic change in
circumstances means we can't really justify keeping the motorhome, we built
her for extended continental touring, and we are 'stuck' in the uk for the
foreseable future.

So, we are thinking of getting a very small compact economical car, yes i'm
after a smart car, the new 2007 model, which is apparantly approved for
towing, the old un wasnt, i'd buy it from germany as i want the diesel
version, and they aint available in the uk, being a left hooker is no
problem for me,

So what i'm thinking of is providing the new model smart for2 diesel is
approved for towing, getting a tiny caravan (never thought i'd see the day i
said that) i have no idea what the towing weight of the smart would be,
iknow the kerb weight of the car is 750 kilos, and the max weight is 1020
kilos, obviousely i have not got much clue when it comes to caravans and
towing them, i hear the 80% rule, some say 100%, i assume they are refeing
to the caravan being 80% of the tow cars weight... is that unladen or laden
weight??

if it's the kerb weight they go on, then 80% rule gives me about 600 kilo's
i rekon, that puts the smallest eriba puck out of the question, but
possibaly a folding caravan may be an option, one of the tear drop beds on
wheels would deffo be ok, as they come in at about 200 kilo's, but we want a
little more than a bed in a box

We'd really like a toilet compartment, even if it's a 2 foot square cupboard
with a bucket in it, we both have gut problems, so ease of access to our own
toilet is almost essential.

Can anyone give me some suggestions to these very small caravans, there's
only 2 of us and a dog, all we need is somewhere to shelter out of the rain
(we'd be spending the day touring in the smart, lounge about on a sofa each
(so dinette seating it is then) some where to cook very basic meals, and
somewhere to store and use a toilet... preferably without having to place it
in the middle of the van and put a curtian around it....

this will be a very very big downsizing and equipment down grading for us
(our motorhome is 7 meters long, has things like a washing machine, centeral
vacuum system, 5 foot tall DC fridge freezer, sattelite system, wet centeral
heating, seperate full width bathroom, 430 watt solar array, 460 AH battery
bank and so on, so we'd be downsizing to something about the size of our
current van's bathroom)

Old March 13th 08, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

I would first check the official towing limit for the vehicle as
exceeding this is illegal regardless of the % rule that others quote.
This site http://www.smartsrus.com/srus/107_ExteriorForTwo.html quotes
500kg for the Smart. Your model, being foreign, may differ. It will
certainly make an interesting combination.

John
Old March 13th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Gazz" wrote in message
Humour me please.....

Eriba probably has the right thing for you,

Mary

Old March 13th 08, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gazz

"John" wrote in message
I would first check the official towing limit for the vehicle as
exceeding this is illegal regardless of the % rule that others quote.
This site http://www.smartsrus.com/srus/107_ExteriorForTwo.html quotes
500kg for the Smart. Your model, being foreign, may differ. It will
certainly make an interesting combination.

John

Cheers for that,

I was expecting a 'don't be so stupid boy' reply

i really like the look of the T @ B teardrop vans, especialy one in a funky
colour to match a smart, but they are all over the towing limit of the smart
it seems

I know if i wanted to tow owt 'decent' i really should go for the smart for
four, but i really can't see the point of that car, the smart car was
brought out to fill a need for a small but quality vehicle that could be
parked anywhere, and be funky and cool in the process, as well as be frugal
on fuel,
the for four is just a plastic paneled euro box.

But i like being different, not many people tow a dog trailer behind a
scooter, or used to tow a beach buggy behind a camper, so i can't bring my
self to get a sensible car and 'normal' caravan

Old March 13th 08, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

You think a smart car is an odd tow car? I started with an 850 Mini,
36bhp and a recommended towing limit of 400kg. That was in the days
when the limits were only recommendations so I ignored them and
wandered off with a ton of14ft van on the back and thoroughly enjoyed
myself.
I've often thought of building an ultra light caravan and using the
Mini again. The problem is that as weight drops so does the ability to
resist side winds unless the side area reduces as well. Then you have
the added weight of the raising mechanism. The thought of a large sail
in a cross wind or HGV draught on the motorway isn't appealing. Then
there's the problem of being pulled over at every weigh station you
pass to prove you're legal. The luggage capacity would also be
extremely slim so further compromising holidays. It's amazing how much
extra clutter a van absorbs while you're away.

Sometimes it's good to be conventional.

John
Old March 13th 08, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"John" wrote in message
[...]

I started 'vanning in 1969 with a Hillman Imp and a Sprite 400

Some what BASIC to the small van I have now , no loo , no electrics

AND NO WATER PUMP

First night was Morecambe , TOO Noisy ,

The next weekend was the Lakes , TOO Wet

A couple of years later we moved to a 1800 and a bigger van

We must be Barmy

DieSea

Old March 13th 08, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gazz

"DieSea" wrote in message

I started 'vanning in 1969 with a Hillman Imp and a Sprite 400

Some what BASIC to the small van I have now , no loo , no electrics

AND NO WATER PUMP

it's going to be a heck of a culture shock if we do this, our motorhome is
fully loaded with stuff not normaly found on british motorhomes (hence why i
built it my self) heck it's got better specs than my flat.... and at least
the electricity in the van is free as long as the sun shines or we go for a
little drive... which gives us free hot water too.

but i am coming to the conclusion that one of these tiny vans will basicaly
be one step up from a tent, some of them arent even that... the teardrop
trailers are basicaly a matress on the floor, with a 3'6" internal height
there's not a lot else you can do inside one.

We'd like something that can be stood up in, but finding sommat within the
weight limits may be hard... but it'll be fun looking.

Old March 14th 08, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"DieSea" wrote in message

I started 'vanning in 1969 with a Hillman Imp and a Sprite 400

We still have a 400.

Some what BASIC to the small van I have now , no loo , no electrics

AND NO WATER PUMP

There's a foot pump!

As for an electricity supply, why do you need one? Our gas lamps are lovely
:-)

First night was Morecambe , TOO Noisy ,

The next weekend was the Lakes , TOO Wet

A couple of years later we moved to a 1800 and a bigger van

We must be Barmy

No doubt about it :-)

Mary

Old March 14th 08, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Why use something as huge as a Smart car?
How about a motorcycle? Then you can to a couple of tonnes.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...ing-retriever/

John
Old March 14th 08, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"John" wrote in message
Why use something as huge as a Smart car?
How about a motorcycle? Then you can to a couple of tonnes.
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...ing-retriever/

John

What would Spouse's Piagot (sp?) tow?

Mary