makes of micro caravans

Old March 16th 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gazz

Default makes of micro caravans

Trying to find the different makes of those tiny caravans, but google is
comming up with some right twaddle lately.

I know of Eriba, [email protected] which i love but they are a little too heavy for my
intended tow car, there's the teardrop trailers which are too small, and at
6 grand for a bed ina bix on wheel they are taking the pee a bit,

But what other makes of tiny caravan are there that are still in production?

i have toyed with the idea of making my own, but it might be hard to keep
the weight down, especialy if i try to do what i did in my motorhome and
load it with every luxuary i could making it better than my flat.

Old March 17th 08, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Campa-Man

"Gazz" wrote in message
Trying to find the different makes of those tiny caravans, but google is
comming up with some right twaddle lately.

I know of Eriba, [email protected] which i love but they are a little too heavy for
my intended tow car, there's the teardrop trailers which are too small,
and at 6 grand for a bed ina bix on wheel they are taking the pee a bit,

But what other makes of tiny caravan are there that are still in
production?

i have toyed with the idea of making my own, but it might be hard to keep
the weight down, especialy if i try to do what i did in my motorhome and
load it with every luxuary i could making it better than my flat.

Freedom is the other make I have seen on site

http://www.freedomcaravans.com

Old March 17th 08, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dieseldes

"Gazz" wrote in message
Trying to find the different makes of those tiny caravans, but google is
comming up with some right twaddle lately.

I know of Eriba, [email protected] which i love but they are a little too heavy for
my intended tow car, there's the teardrop trailers which are too small,
and at 6 grand for a bed ina bix on wheel they are taking the pee a bit,

But what other makes of tiny caravan are there that are still in
production?

i have toyed with the idea of making my own, but it might be hard to keep
the weight down, especialy if i try to do what i did in my motorhome and
load it with every luxuary i could making it better than my flat.

I was wondering what the recommendedtowing weight from Smart is, and in the
UK they do not offer a towbar, but I see a German company is doing one with
a towing limit of 500Kgs

though I did like these pictures!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/23/s...-tow-the-line/

Des

Old March 17th 08, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Dieseldes" wrote in message

though I did like these pictures!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/23/s...-tow-the-line/

Des

Oh I love the last picture!

Mary

Old March 17th 08, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:35:48 -0000, "Gazz" wrote:

Trying to find the different makes of those tiny caravans, but google is
comming up with some right twaddle lately.

I know of Eriba, [email protected] which i love but they are a little too heavy for my
intended tow car, there's the teardrop trailers which are too small, and at
6 grand for a bed ina bix on wheel they are taking the pee a bit,

But what other makes of tiny caravan are there that are still in production?

i have toyed with the idea of making my own, but it might be hard to keep
the weight down, especialy if i try to do what i did in my motorhome and
load it with every luxuary i could making it better than my flat.

Gazz,

Have you seen the slide in mini camper bodies for utility trailers?
If you can imagine the type of demountable camper body designed to sit
in the load bed of a pick-up truck, and think of the same kind of
thing but small enough to fit inside a small(I think 6 x 4), unbraked
utility trailer, then you'll get the idea. Obviously, being unbraked
the max weight will be 750kg all up, but looking at them I'd say it
could be a lot less. Being so small though, all you get is a bed that
folds up and some cupboards, and little headroom! Probably really
only any good for one person, I think I'd even chose a Trident over
one of these. Sadly Trident caravans(of Cheltenham) are not in
production any more, and it's been a long time since I even saw a
picture of one!

I'll try and find the make....but it may take some time as I'm not
sure I took a leaflet. They may have had something to do with Ranger
demountable campers - or maybe not.

Neil

Old March 17th 08, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gazz

"Dieseldes" wrote in message
I was wondering what the recommendedtowing weight from Smart is, and in
the

UK they do not offer a towbar, but I see a German company is doing one
with a towing limit of 500Kgs

For hte old smart, there is no towing weight listed, BUT some people have
checked this out with the police, dvla, ministry of transport etc, and were
told that the car just dosent have a recomended towing limit, dosent mean it
isnt allowed to tow as some people thought,

Hence their advise was to tow what you liked but be sensible about it,
staying within the limits imposed noprmaly...i.e. i under 750kgs and
unbraked, tow car must weigh double the trailer,

The new smart has a 500 kilo limit i believe, and that seems about all you
really want to tow with a smart, dunno if the diesel version has a dfferent
tow rating, as that's what i'll be getting, but they arent available in the
uk, have to import one.

I really like the look T @ B caravans, but their running weight is 550kgs,
tho that is with full water tanks etc, but it's the max weight they go on
for laws.
I'd love to get hold of a bare tab caravan shell, just the shell, windows,
door, insulation and lining, and of course the chassis and wheels, and fit
her out my self... jst like i did with y current motorhome (go nu-venture to
build a bare coachbuilt body on my van and spent the next 4 years fitting
her out... was habitable in 3 months, but 4 years on she's still not
finished and now i want to sell it

Old March 18th 08, 06:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

"Gazz" wrote in
:

For hte old smart, there is no towing weight listed, BUT some people
have checked this out with the police, dvla, ministry of transport
etc, and were told that the car just dosent have a recomended towing
limit, dosent mean it isnt allowed to tow as some people thought,

If it's a type-approved car, AFAICT it does indeed mean that you can't
legally tow with it. From the NTTA (http://www.ntta.co.uk/faq/default.htm)

"I own a Ford Ka and want to tow my sailing dinghy but am told that I
cannot have a towbar fitted as it would be illegal. Surely not?

All cars sold here from the 1st August 1998 must be European Whole Vehicle
Type Approved. The vehicle maker decides when he applies for approval if
the car will be allowed to tow and the car has towbar mounting points built
in to the chassis. The Ka does not have towbar mounting points so a towbar
cannot be fitted. It would be illegal to fit one. There are a number of
other cars that cannot have towbars fitted so if you intend to tow with a
small car ask before buying."

So AIUI, by not providing a towing limit or MTW, the manufacturer has
implicitly declared that the car will not be used for towing and so those
elements of approval testing that apply to towing were omitted. Thus the
car isn't approved to tow.

However, if the car isn't type-approved (i.e. European spec before 1 Aug
1998 or SVA'd) you can fit what you like provided you don't end up with a
dangerous vehicle. For example, although my Pajero has neither a towing
limit nor a specified MTW, it's SVA'd and pre-1998, and so my towbar is
completely legal.

BTW, that website Dieseldes posted is American. They can pretty much do
what they want because they don't have to contend with European type-
approval regs. OTOH, we're not that fortunate!

HTH,

Geoff
Old March 21st 08, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hace

On 16 Mar, 15:35, "Gazz" wrote:
Trying to find the different makes of those tiny caravans, but google is
comming up with some right twaddle lately.

I know of Eriba, [email protected] which i love but they are a little too heavy for my
intended tow car, there's the teardrop trailers which are too small, and at
6 grand for a bed ina bix on wheel they are taking the pee a bit,

But what other makes of tiny caravan are there that are still in production?

i have toyed with the idea of making my own, but it might be hard to keep
the weight down, especialy if i try to do what i did in my motorhome and
load it with every luxuary i could making it better than my flat.

KIp in the Netherlqands makes a small van, but very well equipped. it
is also narrow.

Old March 21st 08, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"hace" wrote in message
On 16 Mar, 15:35, "Gazz" wrote:
Trying to find the different makes of those tiny caravans, but google is
comming up with some right twaddle lately.

I know of Eriba, [email protected] which i love but they are a little too heavy for my
intended tow car, there's the teardrop trailers which are too small, and at
6 grand for a bed ina bix on wheel they are taking the pee a bit,

But what other makes of tiny caravan are there that are still in production?

i have toyed with the idea of making my own, but it might be hard to keep
the weight down, especialy if i try to do what i did in my motorhome and
load it with every luxuary i could making it better than my flat.

KIp in the Netherlqands makes a small van, but very well equipped. it
is also narrow.

Did a bit of googling and found this

http://caravanuutiset.com/wpe/?p=168

DieSea

Old March 26th 08, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"DieSea" wrote in message

"hace" wrote in message
On 16 Mar, 15:35, "Gazz" wrote:
[...]

Couldn't find a titch on that but the Kabe Royal Tower - WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Want one :-)

Mary

DieSea