any new folding caravans?

Old March 20th 08, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gazz

Default any new folding caravans?

Still thinking bout a smart car and small caravan,

but there's a problem finding a caravan under 500kgs, only found 3 anyway,
freedom.. they are around 700 kgs it seems, used to be an ultra lite that
was reported to be under 500kgs, but freedoms website is so hard to
navigate, i cant tell if it's still available,

The T @ B, which i love, especialy for towing behind a smart, could match
the panels on the caravan to to cars look, but the lightest is 520 kgs kerb,
with a 750 max weight, which means i cant tow it i believe (not clued up on
trailer laws, but i imagine if it's got a 750 kg max weight, and even if i
managed to get it under 500 kgs (the 520 kilo's is with full water tanks and
things like that) it'd still be illegal to tow with a car with a 500kg tow
limit?

the other is the eriba, but thay are way over the weight limit it seems,
older one were lighter it seems, but i really want to get a new un as i'd be
selling my motorhome to finance all this, so i may as well go new, or nearly
new.

I also saw a company doing the de-mountable on a trailer, but it was tiny,
only 4 foot wide, giving about 3 inches room between the seats it seemed,

So the other option is a folding caravan, but i can't seem to find any new
ones, are there any made anymore?? lots of old uns about which dont really
do anything for me, can't stand the 70 and 80 look.

All my searches seem to bring up folding campers.. which are trailer tents
to me, i really dont want canvas if i can help it,

Old March 20th 08, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Otaku[_2_]

Gazz wrote:
Still thinking bout a smart car and small caravan,

but there's a problem finding a caravan under 500kgs, only found 3 anyway,
freedom.. they are around 700 kgs it seems, used to be an ultra lite that
was reported to be under 500kgs, but freedoms website is so hard to
navigate, i cant tell if it's still available,

What about something like this:
http://www.thebedbug.co.uk/

180kgs!!!
Old March 20th 08, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Cole

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:22:37 -0000, "Gazz" wrote:

Still thinking bout a smart car and small caravan,

but there's a problem finding a caravan under 500kgs, only found 3 anyway,
freedom.. they are around 700 kgs it seems, used to be an ultra lite that
was reported to be under 500kgs, but freedoms website is so hard to
navigate, i cant tell if it's still available,

The Trigano 310TDE is nearly in your weight range at 580Kg (ex works).

Have you tried looking at caravans suitable for towing behind a motorbike?

0ne occasionally sees them around so they must be out there.

Richard
--
selling my caravan and all of my caravanning equipment.
....and so, as the La-La of time plays with the Tinky-Winky of destiny,
Old March 21st 08, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Moppett[_2_]

Gazz wrote:
[...]

Have you thought about a Dandy? Trailer tent, but not canvas, twin
skinned plastic, with insulation between. Base model only 350kgs!
http://www.rivadandysales.co.uk/inde...=page&pageno=1
Old March 21st 08, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gazz

"John Moppett" wrote in message
Gazz wrote:
Still thinking bout a smart car and small caravan,

Have you thought about a Dandy? Trailer tent, but not canvas, twin skinned
plastic, with insulation between. Base model only 350kgs!
http://www.rivadandysales.co.uk/inde...=page&pageno=1

Thought dandy was a make of yesteryear, i know different now,

Having problems with that website, wont let me view the bottom 2 'campers'
says i've exceded my page limit!!

i prefer the look of the bottom 2, where they fold out lengthways, but to do
that means the trailer has to be wider, and i'd guess they are pretty heavy.

anyone own one of these things?? how good is this so called insulation they
use in the folding bits? i know it wont be like a caravan with 30mm of
polystyrene in the walls, but hopefully will be better than single canvas
sheet, so hopefully heating it wont need an industrial space heater running
full pelt 24/7,

Now then, this unladen / max permissable weight thingy, how does it work for
cars tow ratings? the smart has a 500 kg rating, so the smallest dandy
folder has a 350kg unladen weight, dunno what max weight it has, but if it
was say 600 kilo's, does that mean it's not allowed to be towed by the
smart? or can it be towed as long as i keep her under 500kgs??

Old March 21st 08, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:22:37 -0000, "Gazz" wrote:

Still thinking bout a smart car and small caravan,

but there's a problem finding a caravan under 500kgs, only found 3 anyway,
freedom.. they are around 700 kgs it seems, used to be an ultra lite that
was reported to be under 500kgs, but freedoms website is so hard to
navigate, i cant tell if it's still available,

snipped

I also saw a company doing the de-mountable on a trailer, but it was tiny,
only 4 foot wide, giving about 3 inches room between the seats it seemed,

So the other option is a folding caravan, but i can't seem to find any new
ones, are there any made anymore?? lots of old uns about which dont really
do anything for me, can't stand the 70 and 80 look.

All my searches seem to bring up folding campers.. which are trailer tents
to me, i really dont want canvas if i can help it,

So you found the demountable on the trailer: tiny aren't they!

Another suggestion would be the old Dandy folding caravans. An age
old design and still in production but now sold under the name of Riva
folding campers.

I can't recall the weights of these off hand, but at least the skin is
a tough PVC so it can be folded up wet. I used to have a Dandy 5 many
years ago, it had the old Riviera underfloor heater, and the
winterised(double skinned with insulation) walls. Although the heater
has been replaced with a Propex unit, the basic design hasn't changed
significantly. They always seemed well made, and although the large
one would almost certainly be too heavy, the smaller models might well
be light enough.

HTH

Neil

Old March 22nd 08, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gazz

"Neil" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:22:37 -0000, "Gazz" wrote:

I can't recall the weights of these off hand, but at least the skin is
a tough PVC so it can be folded up wet. I used to have a Dandy 5 many
years ago, it had the old Riviera underfloor heater, and the
winterised(double skinned with insulation) walls. Although the heater
has been replaced with a Propex unit, the basic design hasn't changed
significantly. They always seemed well made, and although the large
one would almost certainly be too heavy, the smaller models might well
be light enough.

The 2 smaller models seem ideal, both have a max weight of 500 kilo's,
obviousely that means the bigger of the small un only has 105 kilo's of
payload,

But there's talk about riva dandy being in administration again, typical,

Old March 22nd 08, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Gazz" wrote in message

"Neil" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:22:37 -0000, "Gazz" wrote:

I can't recall the weights of these off hand, but at least the skin is
a tough PVC so it can be folded up wet. I used to have a Dandy 5 many
years ago, it had the old Riviera underfloor heater, and the
winterised(double skinned with insulation) walls. Although the heater
has been replaced with a Propex unit, the basic design hasn't changed
significantly. They always seemed well made, and although the large
one would almost certainly be too heavy, the smaller models might well
be light enough.

The 2 smaller models seem ideal, both have a max weight of 500 kilo's,
obviousely that means the bigger of the small un only has 105 kilo's of payload,

But there's talk about riva dandy being in administration again, typical,

I think I posted a URL a day or so back which indicated one of the smaller van
manufacturers HAD gone BUMP

DieSea

Old March 23rd 08, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gazz

"dug" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:09:58 -0000, "DieSea"
wrote:

I think I posted a URL a day or so back which indicated one of the smaller
van
manufacturers HAD gone BUMP

DieSea

Not Riva surely

think the post was about a dutch micro caravan maker,

but on the rivadandy owners group on yahoo, there's a post about them going
TU, someone ordered a new folder and has lost his 7 grand, but then someone
else says it's a rumour by another manufacturer, so dunno what to believe.

Old March 23rd 08, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:05:23 -0000, "Gazz" wrote:

Not Riva surely

think the post was about a dutch micro caravan maker,

but on the rivadandy owners group on yahoo, there's a post about them going
TU, someone ordered a new folder and has lost his 7 grand, but then someone
else says it's a rumour by another manufacturer, so dunno what to believe.

Check out the C&CC magazine classified ads. there's quite often a
second-hand Dandy for sale in there! That is, if you'd consider
second-hand.

Neil