Sky

Old March 20th 08, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry[_4_]

Default Sky

Hi
Does anyone in the group use a portable dish
system and take their home sky box/card with them
when out with the van ?.

If you do, is it much hassle to set up and tune in please.

Miss my footy when away .

Thanks.
Baz

Old March 21st 08, 01:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Kewley

In message , Barry
writes

Hi
Does anyone in the group use a portable dish
system and take their home sky box/card with them
when out with the van ?.

If you do, is it much hassle to set up and tune in please.

Miss my footy when away .

Thanks.
Baz

Hi Baz

Yes we do and once you get the hang of it it's quite easy to set up too.

What I do is first set up the angle of elevation on the dish to about
22.5 degrees, in the North anyway. Next switch on the system and go to
"System Set Up" on the Sky box then pick "Signal Test". You'll get a
more or less blank screen apart from the various headings, signal
strength, quality etc. Get the wife/partner/friend to stop in the van
whilst outside you point your dish south, make sure that there's nothing
high like a big tree in the way. Once you know it's pointing south
slowly and smoothly swing the dish eastwards. Meantime your partner
should be watching the screen until the signal strength and quality
indicators start to move and the Network ID shows 0002 and the Transport
Stream shows 07d4. Once those indicators are confirmed you can twiddle
with the dish to get the best possible strength and quality.

It sounds a bit of a pain but once you've done it a couple of times it's
dead easy, nowadays I point the dish directly at 28 degrees east of
south and normally can get up and running very quickly, within a minute
or two. It's really not that hard, honestly. The biggest problem is a
building or a tree interrupting your line of sight to the SE, avoid
these and you should have no problems, Follow this link for an
excellent website:-

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

We've used the satellite receiver and dish for several years now and
it's spot on. The wife can watch Coronation Street, Dead Enders etc., in
France or Spain, meantime I head for the bar. What more could a man ask
for?

HTH

Cheers
--

Jim
Old March 21st 08, 05:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom[_7_]

"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
In message , Barry
writes

Hi
Does anyone in the group use a portable dish
system and take their home sky box/card with them
when out with the van ?.

If you do, is it much hassle to set up and tune in please.

Miss my footy when away .

Thanks.
Baz

Go to Maplins or similar type shop buy the kit for about 100.00 Get a box
with the card slot - together with a proper signal strength meter. Then read
up on setting the kit up - took about 10 minutes after practice. To get a
good signal you need the aerial about six foot of the ground. Alternatively
buy an aerial and take your digi box with you.

Old March 21st 08, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Barry explained :
Hi
Does anyone in the group use a portable dish
system

Yes,

and take their home sky box/card with them
when out with the van ?.

and no.

If you do, is it much hassle to set up and tune in please.

Much less hassle to set up than a terrestrial aerial and a close to
100% chance of getting a signal no matter where you are. How quick and
easy, depends on the dish...

We use a small portable dish, which is mounted on a short pole which
can be pushed into the ground. The dish has a 'sat locator' - just a
combined compass/ inclination indicator. This makes it a doddle to get
the alignment close enough to right to find the sat. You could cobble
together something similar quite easily..

A piece of wood with a plumb line, mark the wood with the correct
angle. Add a compass with a known correct bearing for the sat and its
takes a couple of minutes to set up. Be aware that a steel dish will
affect the compass though. Once it is pointing in roughly the right
direction, you need to move it very slowly around that heading until
you pick up the sat. Fine tuning can be done with the built in meter of
the receiver.

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old March 21st 08, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Tom has brought this to us :
"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
In message , Barry
writes

Hi
Does anyone in the group use a portable dish
system and take their home sky box/card with them
when out with the van ?.

If you do, is it much hassle to set up and tune in please.

Miss my footy when away .

Thanks.
Baz

Go to Maplins or similar type shop buy the kit for about 100.00 Get a box
with the card slot - together with a proper signal strength meter. Then read
up on setting the kit up - took about 10 minutes after practice. To get a
good signal you need the aerial about six foot of the ground. Alternatively
buy an aerial and take your digi box with you.

Height above the ground makes absolutely no difference what so ever to
the signal, but it does make the dish less stable.

I agree with getting the Maplin kit for compactness/ease of set up.
They do a complete system with no card slot for 80. They were on
special offer at 60 a while back. You can get a few hundred channels
on the Astra sat (mostly junk) with them and many more if you set up
for any of the other satellites. You can get all the free to air
channels on Astra, including BBC and ITV (but not all of them).

This kit is worth buying, even if you intend to use your Sky system
with just the dish/LNB part of the kit.

Old March 21st 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry[_4_]

Does anyone in the group use a portable dish
system

and take their home sky box/card with them
when out with the van ?.

Many thanks to Jim-Tom and Harry for your replies.

Sorry bit late responding but had mega problems with
outlook express , mail ok, but no news groups-sorted now.

I have at the moment got freeview at the van but apart from
BBC match of the day hardly any football on, thats why I'm interested
in taking sky box with me so got lots of choice as re footy.

Will have a look at the Maplin dish set.

Was thinking of getting one of these,the 66cm one.

http://tinyurl.com/35opmx

As it seems not to hard to set up think I will go ahead.

Many thanks again.
Baz

Old March 22nd 08, 02:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tom[_7_]

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Tom has brought this to us :
"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
In message , Barry
writes

Snipped

Height above the ground makes absolutely no difference what so ever to the
signal, but it does make the dish less stable.

Snipped

It does when sited near to a building or some inanimate object.

Old March 22nd 08, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy[_3_]

Tom said the following on 22/03/2008 03:01:
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Tom has brought this to us :
"Jim Kewley" wrote in message
In message , Barry
writes

Snipped
Height above the ground makes absolutely no difference what so ever to the
signal, but it does make the dish less stable.

Snipped

It does when sited near to a building or some inanimate object.

Just move it a few feet further away!

Roy
Old March 22nd 08, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Barry explained :
As it seems not to hard to set up think I will go ahead.

It really isn't that hard, once you have got the hang of it. The
Maxview video demonstrates it quite nicely, except they used a sat
meter to get the final alignment. Our Maplin free sat receiver had one
built in - you just set it to on, then turn the TV's volume up. The
louder the noise, the better aligned the dish to the sat.

Old March 22nd 08, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

on 22/03/2008, Tom supposed :
Snipped

It does when sited near to a building or some inanimate object.

You said it needs to be sited 6 foot of the ground, it works just as
well in a hole dug in the ground providing it can see the essential bit
of the sky. The only disadvantage I have found to ground mounting is
people can walk in front of it and disrupt the signal for a second.