Mobile broadband

Old March 23rd 08, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Zeke

Default Mobile broadband

Looking to get set up for cruising this year with a different means of
internet access. �I have existed until recently with 0845 dial-up
using my free O2 minutes, but that is no more.

Under a little more pressure to get decent download speeds due to a
new outlet for my freelance journalism - the new client likes to work
by sending pdf's backwards and forwards.

Mobilebroadbandfrom Vodafone, 3 and T Mobile are on offer, but I
know that T Mobile coverage is crap on much of the routes that I
travel, and particularly bad at Cropredy where I wil be spending a
week in August.

Following all the answers recieved both here and on the
uk.rec.waterways ng, and having done some web crawling, I have plumped
for the Three Mobile Mobile Broadband.

I have just activated it and at home in Telford on a 3G connection,
I'm getting 3.6 mbps, as opposed to the 54 mbps I get with my Virgin
cable broadband. However, I've jst checked my usual bog standard
Nokia mobile dial up connection, which is what I have used afloat up
until now, and I'm getting 9.6 Kbps, so my � mobile should be a big
improvement.

Three have declared their intention of concentrating on improving 3G,
and if you look at their projected coverage from April 2008 onwards,
it's set to improve considerably. Incidentally, they have teamed up
with T Mobile in a mast-sharing deal.

As for tarriffs, I've gone for pay as you go, which means I bought
the
modem for �100 and I'll pay �15 per 30 days for an allownace of 3gig.
Beaing in mind that I will only use this in the summer months whilst
afloat, say 5 months, that will cost me over two years a total of
�250. Compare that with a free modem and a 24 month contract at �15
per month which is �360 over two years. I also have the advantage if
it doesn't suit of cutting my losses after the first year.

Whaddaya think?

Old March 23rd 08, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 09:20:23 -0700 (PDT), Zeke
wrote:

[...]

I've been looking at it as it seems to be the best deal around for low
to medium users.
I've struggled to find info on roaming charges, do you know if it
works like 3 mobile phones i.e. when in Italy Ireland or any other
country with a 3 network the usage comes off your allowance? Also do
you have any info on roaming charges for other countries?

Lenny

Dark evenings - for better visibility fit
The NEW Osram NIGHT BREAKER Headlamp Bulbs
90% Brighter beam, 10% whiter light.
http://www.carcare.org.uk
Old March 23rd 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Zeke

wrote:

[...]

90% Brighter beam, 10% whiter light.http://www.carcare.org.uk- Hide quoted text -

Sorry Lenny - can't help with those queries
Old March 23rd 08, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

wrote:
I've been looking at it as it seems to be the best deal around for low
to medium users.
I've struggled to find info on roaming charges, do you know if it
works like 3 mobile phones i.e. when in Italy Ireland or any other
country with a 3 network the usage comes off your allowance? Also do
you have any info on roaming charges for other countries?

Lenny

If you do a search for roaming charges on the 3 network website it will take
you to what you want to know!
http://www.three.co.uk/personal/help...oamingpaym.omp
and follow link

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old March 23rd 08, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

--

DieSea
"Zeke" wrote in message
[...]

Thats the way I've gone with 3G pay as you go

I shall find out how good it is when I get away for a few weeks up to Scotland

DieSea

PS

I wonder how good it is on VOIP

Old March 23rd 08, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 18:34:01 -0000, "David Klyne"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:
I've been looking at it as it seems to be the best deal around for low
to medium users.
I've struggled to find info on roaming charges, do you know if it
works like 3 mobile phones i.e. when in Italy Ireland or any other
country with a 3 network the usage comes off your allowance? Also do
you have any info on roaming charges for other countries?

Lenny

If you do a search for roaming charges on the 3 network website it will take
you to what you want to know!
http://www.three.co.uk/personal/help...oamingpaym.omp
and follow link

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Hi David,
Been there before only info on Phone charges none of the network
providers seem to bother about roaming info on data.
By the way I've had a phone on '3' since January and have been very
pleased with the network coverage they seem to have got their act
together. Having a 3 network in Ireland has been brilliant for me as
I've done 4 trips to Ireland during Jan & Feb.

Old March 23rd 08, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Lenny" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 18:34:01 -0000, "David Klyne"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:
[...]

Read into it hard enough Lenny and the data IS costed

IT Aint Cheap

About 3.00 a meg

DieSea

Old March 24th 08, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:35:06 -0000, "DieSea"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

To much red wine with lunch yesterday it wasn't hard to find, yep
3/meg a bit steep. I checked my usage this morning hr surfing I've
used 9 meg.
May go down to Bavaria again this year I'll have to nip over the
border to Austria where then have a 3 network.

Old March 24th 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Frosty[_2_]

I've struggled to find info on roaming charges, do you know if it
works like 3 mobile phones i.e. when in Italy Ireland or any other
country with a 3 network the usage comes off your allowance? Also do
you have any info on roaming charges for other countries?

Hi, Just come home from Spain and used the Three mobile broadband whilst
there and here's a tip DONT!! Whilst it was very convenient, the charges
from the local networks were hitting about 60 an hour. Just couldn't
believe it when the text came through from three that I had exceeded credit
limit. Now got a pay as you go Spanish broadband sim card (yo voy) after
having the modem unlocked. Works out at just a euro a day. Also normal three
calls from abroad don't come off your allowance they are ALL charged
resulting in a monthly bill of 130. Needless to say, when we go back the
three phone stays off and will just advise callers of spanish PAYG No.

Frosty,
Caeathro &
Villa Franco del Guardalhorce.

Old March 24th 08, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Lenny" wrote in message

Read into it hard enough Lenny and the data IS costed

IT Aint Cheap

About 3.00 a meg

DieSea

To much red wine with lunch yesterday it wasn't hard to find, yep
3/meg a bit steep. I checked my usage this morning hr surfing I've
used 9 meg.
May go down to Bavaria again this year I'll have to nip over the
border to Austria where then have a 3 network.

Lenny

We're of to France with the Disco in May or June Green Roading

I think its time I spoke with my French niece in law to acquire a French pay as
you go data sim for me

They must be available

The next question is does any one know how to unlock the 3G pay as you go data
card

DieSea