12volt Generator connection

Old March 28th 08, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans

Default 12volt Generator connection

I have a petrol 230v generator which has a 12v socket for battery charging.
For this I need a 12v plug, can anyone tell me what type of plug it is? It
looks as though it will have 2 flat pins at 90 deg to each other.

Please reply to News Group

Old March 28th 08, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
DieSea

"David" wrote in message
I have a petrol 230v generator which has a 12v socket for battery charging. For
this I need a 12v plug, can anyone tell me what type of plug it is? It looks as
though it will have 2 flat pins at 90 deg to each other.

Please reply to News Group

Usually Supplied when the generator is purchased new

DieSea

Old March 28th 08, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Trefor

If you can access the socket wiring, it shouldn't be too difficult to
install a socket of your choice. A "banana" socket and plug would do if
you've got somewhere to mount the sockets (one for + and one for -) It's
only going to be a few amps. Or, maybe a cigar lighter extension socket and
plug?

You can get connectors that clip over the existing wires and cut through the
insulation. I forget their name, but Halfords would have them

HTH

Trefor

Old March 29th 08, 06:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Darren B

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:09:48 -0000, "Trefor"
wrote:

If you can access the socket wiring, it shouldn't be too difficult to
install a socket of your choice. A "banana" socket and plug would do if
you've got somewhere to mount the sockets (one for + and one for -) It's
only going to be a few amps. Or, maybe a cigar lighter extension socket and
plug?

You can get connectors that clip over the existing wires and cut through the
insulation. I forget their name, but Halfords would have them

Not worth the trouble. As a battery charger the gennie is useless, I
cant recall why.

HTH

Trefor

Old March 29th 08, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans

"DieSea" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
I have a petrol 230v generator which has a 12v socket for battery
charging. For this I need a 12v plug, can anyone tell me what type of plug
it is? It looks as though it will have 2 flat pins at 90 deg to each
other.

Yes I would agree, but in my case it is lost, I guess you suggesting a new
generator bought.

Please reply to News Group

Old March 29th 08, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Trefor

Sorry, I misunderstood the question.
I thought it was a socket to charge a starting battery in the generator.

Easiest way would be just plug a normal (230v) chager into the gen. output

Trefor

Old March 29th 08, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans

"Trefor" wrote in message
Sorry, I misunderstood the question.
I thought it was a socket to charge a starting battery in the generator.

No it is a socket to connect a lead with battery clips to charge a normal12v
liesure/car battery.

So I require a plug, with 2 flat pins at 90deg to each other.
Anyone got one who could look at it and tell me make/number etc so I can try
and source one?

Please reply to News Group

Old March 29th 08, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Richard Cole

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:52:38 GMT, "David" wrote:

"Trefor" wrote in message
Sorry, I misunderstood the question.
I thought it was a socket to charge a starting battery in the generator.

No it is a socket to connect a lead with battery clips to charge a normal12v
liesure/car battery.

So I require a plug, with 2 flat pins at 90deg to each other.
Anyone got one who could look at it and tell me make/number etc so I can try
and source one?

The 1st few results in Google
(http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=caravan+12+volt+plug)
or
(http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=caravan+12+volt+plug)

are
http://www.towsure.com/product/526-2...t_Caravan_Plug
http://www.a1leisuredirect.co.uk/12-...plug-772-p.asp
http://www.leisurefayre.co.uk/origin...s/12vacces.htm
http://www.a1leisuredirect.co.uk/12-...lead-776-p.asp

These seem to be known as senate plugs or 12v 10a plugs.

Richard
--
See http://www.caravanningnow.co.uk where my caravan's for sale.
Top 20 Replies by Programmers When Their Programs Don't Work: 6. "Did you check for a virus on your system?"
Old March 29th 08, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Lenny

are
http://www.towsure.com/product/526-2...t_Caravan_Plug
http://www.a1leisuredirect.co.uk/12-...plug-772-p.asp
http://www.leisurefayre.co.uk/origin...s/12vacces.htm
http://www.a1leisuredirect.co.uk/12-...lead-776-p.asp

These seem to be known as senate plugs or 12v 10a plugs.

Richard

A name from the past, W4 Limited (formally GP Leisure Products)
brought out Senate in 1986, one of my first jobs was sorting it all
out when I worked for them.
Hard to believe now but that plug & socket were originally designed
for 240 volts for use in a baxi heater!!!

Lenny

Eurolites - the number one headlamp beam converter.
California Scents - Air Fresheners in a tin from the USA.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials
Old March 29th 08, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Gazz

"David" wrote in message

"Trefor" wrote in message
Sorry, I misunderstood the question.
I thought it was a socket to charge a starting battery in the generator.

No it is a socket to connect a lead with battery clips to charge a
normal12v liesure/car battery.

So I require a plug, with 2 flat pins at 90deg to each other.
Anyone got one who could look at it and tell me make/number etc so I can
try and source one?

trust us mate, honnestly, that 12 volt output is not a good battery charging
source,

it's just a very simple extra coil in the main windings of the gen head,
usually 4 or 5 amps at the most... and that's been over rated like the mains
part of the genny, it gives out around 12 volts, usually 12.5, but sometimes
15-18 volts, it's totaly unregulated, just goes through a bridge rectifier
to get DC,

it's really there to power 12 volt appliances, torch, string of 12 volt
lights on a market stall etc, but the marketing people figured calling a
charging socket would sell them more gennies,

If you want to charge the batteries quick without using a mains changer,
then buy a proper battery charging genny, or make one, my motorhome has a
built in genny that i made, an electric start 4 hp engine, with a drive belt
running a car's 75 amp alternator,
i get 55 - 60 amps of charge when it's first started into the batteries,
(you'll never get the rated output for more than a few seconds..marketing
again, and as the alternator heats up the output will drop more, like 6000
watt speakers sold to the boy racers, they only produce that for a nanno
second in the lab before destroying them sleves, the real rating is prolly 2
watts, but mr burbery baseball cap wouldent buy them if the box said 2 watts
on them would he)

anyway, with my 'cordless battery charger' as i call the charging gen set, i
can re-charge my 460 amp hour battery bank in about 2 hours, to do that with
my mains charger would take about 8 hours, and with one of the 12 volt
outlets on those mains gennies, about 3 days.

if you really want good battery charging, a 800 watt continous output
genny.. those cheapo 2 strokers are ideal, and an 80 amp 3 stage charger
will provide the best charging set up you can get, a friend or mine in
america does just that, and has the equipment to test all electronic stuff,
so knows the genny can handle the charger,
thing is as he's in america, an 80 amp 3 stage charger is about 200 dollars,
in england it's be more like a grand in pounds,