Mobile Internet

Old March 28th 08, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

Default Mobile Internet

Just a heads up

I was in Staples this afternoon and saw the had the 3G USB PAY AS YOU GO dongle
for 69.00 on special offer

When I bought mine it was 99.00 , so I'm a bit miffed

DieSea

Old March 28th 08, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike J

Sorry to hear that DieSea, but reading your post prompted me to ask.
What are the call charges for using the dongle to access data ?
Hope you don't mind me asking as I thought of this purchase myself but can't
find any charge info for PAYG on the site for "3 broadband Mobile"

Regards.
Mike.

Old March 29th 08, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:34:40 -0000, "DieSea"
wrote:

Just a heads up

I was in Staples this afternoon and saw the had the 3G USB PAY AS YOU GO dongle
for 69.00 on special offer

When I bought mine it was 99.00 , so I'm a bit miffed

DieSea

3 were doing them for 49.99 in January so unless anyones in a hurry
worth hanging on to see if they do another offer.

Lenny

Eurolites - the number one headlamp beam converter.
California Scents - Air Fresheners in a tin from the USA.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials

Old March 29th 08, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Mike J" wrote in message
Sorry to hear that DieSea, but reading your post prompted me to ask.
What are the call charges for using the dongle to access data ?
Hope you don't mind me asking as I thought of this purchase myself but can't
find any charge info for PAYG on the site for "3 broadband Mobile"

Regards.
Mike.

Call charges as such on Pay as you go and 3G

1 G a month 10.00

3 G a month 15.00

5 G a month 25.00

Lasts for a month , if you don't use you loose

No horrendous bills , if you use all the data you've it stops working

Just buy another 1 G and that works for a further month

If you don't use it for a month or more you don't buy any more data than you want

Works very well along the motorway spine , but I haven't tried it in the "wilds of
woolly Scotland yet !

That's in May when I shall be away for sometime

if you can avoid it don't buy the ZTE MF622 model ,

I've yet to find unlocking software to make it work on other networks

Another good thing is that if you're a Linux Buff the other model that 3G does
will work on Linux

DON'T ask me how its done , but I saw it working on a Linux laptop ,

Mind you THAT "Linux User" is a very proficient IT Nerd and professional

DieSea

Old March 29th 08, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
an onimous

wrote:

Just a heads up

I was in Staples this afternoon and saw the had the 3G USB PAY AS YOU GO
dongle
for 69.00 on special offer

When I bought mine it was 99.00 , so I'm a bit miffed

DieSea

3 were doing them for 49.99 in January so unless anyones in a hurry
worth hanging on to see if they do another offer.

Lenny

Eurolites - the number one headlamp beam converter.
California Scents - Air Fresheners in a tin from the USA.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials

If you have got a phone with three, you can get it for 19.99.

Old March 29th 08, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike J

"DieSea" wrote in message

"Mike J" wrote in message
Sorry to hear that DieSea, but reading your post prompted me to ask.
What are the call charges for using the dongle to access data ?
Hope you don't mind me asking as I thought of this purchase myself but
can't find any charge info for PAYG on the site for "3 broadband Mobile"

Regards.
Mike.

Call charges as such on Pay as you go and 3G

1 G a month 10.00

3 G a month 15.00

5 G a month 25.00

Lasts for a month , if you don't use you loose

No horrendous bills , if you use all the data you've it stops working

Just buy another 1 G and that works for a further month

If you don't use it for a month or more you don't buy any more data than
you want to

Works very well along the motorway spine , but I haven't tried it in the
"wilds of woolly Scotland yet !

That's in May when I shall be away for sometime

if you can avoid it don't buy the ZTE MF622 model ,

I've yet to find unlocking software to make it work on other networks

Another good thing is that if you're a Linux Buff the other model that 3G
does will work on Linux

DON'T ask me how its done , but I saw it working on a Linux laptop ,

Mind you THAT "Linux User" is a very proficient IT Nerd and professional

DieSea

Many thanks for the info DieSea, it sounds like a good deal.
Regards.
Mike.

Old March 30th 08, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

"DieSea" wrote in
:

Another good thing is that if you're a Linux Buff the other model that
3G does will work on Linux

DON'T ask me how its done , but I saw it working on a Linux laptop ,

Mind you THAT "Linux User" is a very proficient IT Nerd and
professional

I didn't know there was more than one model type - thanks for that.

When I asked at a 3 store some months ago about connecting a network via
their service, the salesman I got to talk with said that he had it running
on Ubuntu and so, if you knew what you were doing, you could set up a Linux
machine as a gateway. He also told me that the info was readily available
and it only took him a quick search or two to get at it.

HTH,

Geoff
Old March 30th 08, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
7.64...
"DieSea" wrote in
:

Another good thing is that if you're a Linux Buff the other model that
3G does will work on Linux

DON'T ask me how its done , but I saw it working on a Linux laptop ,

Mind you THAT "Linux User" is a very proficient IT Nerd and
professional

I didn't know there was more than one model type - thanks for that.

When I asked at a 3 store some months ago about connecting a network via
their service, the salesman I got to talk with said that he had it running
on Ubuntu and so, if you knew what you were doing, you could set up a Linux
machine as a gateway. He also told me that the info was readily available
and it only took him a quick search or two to get at it.

HTH,

Geoff

Geoff

If you go to this URL you'll see the two models

http://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/

I've got the one on the left , I've yet to find a way to unlock it for use on
other networks although I'm sure it can be done

My particular model has the ability to use an external aerial , so some time , its
off to CPC to find out what the have in the way of 3G antennas

DieSea