raising a towbar

Old March 30th 08, 06:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
entwisi

Default raising a towbar

I need to raise my towbar about 50mm due to the new springs on my car
being lowered versions. I've seen the drop plates to lower them but they
all say must never be used to raise one. I assume its due to differences
in push/pull tensile strength. Does anyone know how I can achieve it?

Cheers
Old March 30th 08, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On 30 Mar 2008 06:57:09 GMT, entwisi wrote:

I need to raise my towbar about 50mm due to the new springs on my car
being lowered versions. I've seen the drop plates to lower them but they
all say must never be used to raise one. I assume its due to differences
in push/pull tensile strength. Does anyone know how I can achieve it?

Put the old springs back on is the only way, all other ways are
illegal.
Bill Lord

Old March 30th 08, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"bill lord" wrote in message
On 30 Mar 2008 06:57:09 GMT, entwisi wrote:

I need to raise my towbar about 50mm due to the new springs on my car
being lowered versions. I've seen the drop plates to lower them but they
all say must never be used to raise one. I assume its due to differences
in push/pull tensile strength. Does anyone know how I can achieve it?

Put the old springs back on is the only way, all other ways are
illegal.
Bill Lord

Assuming its a car, and was built after 1998, the towball must mount on the
towball directly with only a small tolerance allowed for the fitting of a
bike rack, or stabiliser mounting plate.

As Bill says, put the other springs back on.

Cheers

Old March 30th 08, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

[email protected] home wrote:

"bill lord" wrote in message
On 30 Mar 2008 06:57:09 GMT, entwisi wrote:

I need to raise my towbar about 50mm due to the new springs on my
car being lowered versions. I've seen the drop plates to lower them
but they all say must never be used to raise one. I assume its due
to differences in push/pull tensile strength. Does anyone know how
I can achieve it?

Put the old springs back on is the only way, all other ways are
illegal.
Bill Lord

Assuming its a car, and was built after 1998, the towball must mount
on the towball directly with only a small tolerance allowed for the
fitting of a bike rack, or stabiliser mounting plate.

As Bill says, put the other springs back on.

Cheers

David

The OP could always lower the suspension on the caravan to match the car!
Cheers,
Roger
______
PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

Old March 30th 08, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
entwisi

"entwisi" wrote in message
I need to raise my towbar about 50mm due to the new springs on my car
being lowered versions. I've seen the drop plates to lower them but
they all say must never be used to raise one. I assume its due to
differences in push/pull tensile strength. Does anyone know how I can
achieve it?

Cheers

nice lateral thinking there!

The car is a 97 Volvo so I believe is not subject to type approval. As
long as its safe i don't give a monkeys.

Another thing that has been mention is to use a ball and pin setup as the
ball is normally higher than a standalone ball. Anyone with one that can
confirm?

The springs were replaced due to the originals having covered 190K miles
so weren't really at their best. I have dragged the van for ~20 miles and
it seems OK. Not at a 'noticeable angle but I did feel an inch or so
would have made a difference as teh van is 25ft long.

TIA

ian
Old March 30th 08, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike J

"entwisi" wrote in message
[...]

Why are the new springs lower than the original, usually worn out springs
are lower & weaker so fitting new ones should take the Volvo up to the
correct height again unless you have replaced them with non Volvo type.
I have pneumatic Munroe Ride Leveller suspension on my 7 series Volvo and I
can call in to my local garage and pump em up to level the van which works
great.
That is also another solution to your problem Ian, but at a cost of course.
Mike.

Old March 31st 08, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Trefor

Another thing you can do is fit spring assisters to your car. You can get
them for coil or flat springs.

There's plenty on eBay for around 24 a pair (new) for coils. Is the Volvo
coil or flat spring?

If it's coil, Halfords have a "Graystone Coil Spring Assister GE13" which
raises the car up to 38mm, 8.99, not sure if that's one or two.

Do a (UK)google search for car spring assisters

Trefor

Old April 2nd 08, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Another thing that has been mention is to use a ball and pin setup as the
ball is normally higher than a standalone ball. Anyone with one that can
confirm?

One of the vehicles I use is a Landrover. The tow ball on that can be
lowered and highered.
It has 5 settings.

http://www.simmonites.com/TOWING.htm

I am not saying that this is OK to use on normal cars but it works on
Landrovers.

John.

Old April 2nd 08, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On 2 Apr, 16:01, "John" wrote:
I am not saying that this is OK to use on normal cars but it works on
Landrovers.

John.

I would love to see the gent try and use a Dixon & Bate type drop
plate system on his car 8- 0

To be honest, my son lowered his car by using non-standard springs and
ended up having to replace 3 engines and gearboxes in 2 years. Cause!
the bearings in the gearbox are not set at a lowered height causing
the new set up to exert pressure into the gearbox causing the gearbox
to crumble to bits taking out the clutch and engine as well! Each to
thier own, but deep pockets may be required.

So, lower car..what happens to the tow hitch and jockey wheel if you
go over a speed bump etc??? I do hope that your car will take the
weight of a caravan pushing the rear end of your car up as the caravan
bits ground out!