Disablity discrimination ? Don't think so .....

Old March 31st 08, 09:22 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.caravanning
Jethro

Default Disablity discrimination ? Don't think so .....

Went caravanning last week. The site we went to has 3 shower/toilet
facilities. A male, female, and disabled. They are kept locked, and
campers are issued with keys, as appropriate.

When we asked for a key for the disabled facilities, the staff told us
it was no longer locked (although the male and female facilties were
still locked). When we asked why, we were told that a few weeks ago, a
disabled gentleman kicked up a hell of a stink, claiming it was
discriminatory that he needed a key to access the facilities and he
was going to sue etc etc ... The staff had a quick word with their
head office who advised they should leave the facilities unlocked.
(Whether this is a temporary solution I don't know.)

Of course the end result was that everyone started using the disabled
facilities, with the end result that the people who needed them had to
wait. Given the snow and cold, this was not as trivial as it sounds.

IANAL, but thought I had a fairly good grasp of the various DDAs over
the years, and was racking my brains to try to make sense of how
issuing a key to access the disabled facilities, in the same way for
the able-bodies facilities could in any way count as "discrimination"
under any of them.

Just wondered if anyone else here shares my bafflement, or can shed
any light on what the original complainant might have been alluding
to ? The staff at the site weren't so interested in the legal
nicities .....
Old March 31st 08, 09:39 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.caravanning
Robbie[_2_]

Jethro wrote:
[...]

The same thing has happened in my local Wetherspoons, a disabled person
kicked up a fuss about having to get a key to unlock the disabled toilet
and as a result it is now left unlocked all day.

As the main toilets are up a flight of stairs (the disabled toilet being
on the same floor as the bar) you can guess which toilet everyone is now
using...

Doesn't answer your question but it's the same outcome (except in this
case the ordinary toilets aren't locked).

--
Robbie
Old March 31st 08, 09:47 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.caravanning
Palindrome

Jethro wrote:
[...]

Only one I can think of is that the lock/key wasn't one suitable for the
use by the disabled, eg wasn't a RADA, was too high, too low, required
undue force to operate, etc.

--
Sue

Old March 31st 08, 09:54 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

Robbie wrote in news:65bpq3F2ep6d4U1
@mid.individual.net:

The same thing has happened in my local Wetherspoons, a disabled person
kicked up a fuss about having to get a key to unlock the disabled toilet
and as a result it is now left unlocked all day.

As the main toilets are up a flight of stairs (the disabled toilet being
on the same floor as the bar) you can guess which toilet everyone is now
using...

Doesn't answer your question but it's the same outcome (except in this
case the ordinary toilets aren't locked).

The crazy thing is that many disabled facilities are opened with RADAR
standard keys (http://www.radar.org.uk/radarwebsite...1/default.aspx)
and those with disabilities can get keys from RADAR and so access all those
disabled toilets without needing to ask for a key. This is a nationally
approved scheme, which should get by any accusations of discrimination -
particularly if the establishment made a key available for anyone who
didn't have their own.

Geoff

Old March 31st 08, 10:09 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.caravanning
sandy58

Jethro wrote:
[...]

Robbie, would that be Archie's (Archibald Simpson's) on Union Street/
King Street, Aberdeen? Also the one in Elgin has the bogs way to hell
& gone upstairs & if you weren't a cripple when going up....you sure
as **** WERE when you got down again. They also attached huge objects
to the "disabled" key to stop folk pinching the key but had a huge
stainless steel ice scoop nicked from the keyring all the same.
Old March 31st 08, 10:09 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.caravanning
Palindrome

Geoff Lane wrote:
[...]

To be fair, have you ever tried buying RADAR *locks*? The keys are cheap
and easily obtained, but the bill for a local charity here to change its
loo locks to RADAR was 500GBP.

--
Sue

Old March 31st 08, 10:14 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.caravanning
Mike_B

In message , Robbie
writes
Jethro wrote:
[...]

I suppose the moral of these tales is that when people try to get their
own way by inappropriately shouting about discrimination, they had
better be careful what they wish for.

--
Mike_B
Old March 31st 08, 10:18 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.caravanning
Jethro

Only one I can think of is that the lock/key wasn't one suitable for the
use by the disabled, eg wasn't a RADA, was too high, too low, required
undue force to operate, etc.

It was a standard Yale-type lock & key ... mounted at waist height
(the able-bodied loos were mounted a bit higher).

When we used it last year, it seemed light enought to operate.
Old March 31st 08, 10:43 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.caravanning
Dr Zoidberg[_2_]

"Palindrome" wrote in message
.. .
Jethro wrote:
[...]

Or that some disabled people have a huge chip on their shoulder , and will
be rude and abusive then hide behind their problems

--
Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"