Paint for a caravan or motorhome

Old March 31st 08, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,alt.motorhomes,uk.rec.motorcaravans
James Harris

Default Paint for a caravan or motorhome

(Was tempted to title this, "Paint your wagon?" but fortunately sense
prevailed.)

I've seen a motorhome which I like _except_ that it's paint is a
mixture of beige, grey, and puce. Yuck! Is it possible to paint it as
one would a house (rather than as one would a car)? Any suggestions
for changing it to a pristine white??

--
TIA,
James
Old March 31st 08, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,alt.motorhomes,uk.rec.motorcaravans
[email protected] home

"James Harris" wrote in message
(Was tempted to title this, "Paint your wagon?" but fortunately sense
prevailed.)

I've seen a motorhome which I like _except_ that it's paint is a
mixture of beige, grey, and puce. Yuck! Is it possible to paint it as
one would a house (rather than as one would a car)? Any suggestions
for changing it to a pristine white??

--
TIA,
James

Why not just go the whole hog and stone clad it?

Only joking, 90% of a good paint finish is preparation. To get a universally
acceptable finish it would need to be painted like a car. If its an older
model with a smaller value and you don't care about devalueing it further,
then a proper primer with a gloss paint finish might look alright, from a
distance.

Cheers

Old April 1st 08, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Darren B

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:46:41 -0700 (PDT), James Harris
wrote:

(Was tempted to title this, "Paint your wagon?" but fortunately sense
prevailed.)

I've seen a motorhome which I like _except_ that it's paint is a
mixture of beige, grey, and puce. Yuck! Is it possible to paint it as
one would a house (rather than as one would a car)? Any suggestions
for changing it to a pristine white??

You can though I'm not sure I'd use house paint. You can still brush
on vehicle paints as long as you thin them correctly.

Might be an idea to try and find out how it was originally painted
(what with?) because then unless you strip it off completely your
choice is limited.
Old April 1st 08, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,alt.motorhomes,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Campa-Man

"James Harris" wrote in message
(Was tempted to title this, "Paint your wagon?" but fortunately sense
prevailed.)

I've seen a motorhome which I like _except_ that it's paint is a
mixture of beige, grey, and puce. Yuck! Is it possible to paint it as
one would a house (rather than as one would a car)? Any suggestions
for changing it to a pristine white??

--
TIA,
James

Do a google for Coach Painting and you should find some good info on
painting by hand.

Old April 1st 08, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,alt.motorhomes,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mary Fisher

"[email protected] home" wrote in message

"James Harris" wrote in message
(Was tempted to title this, "Paint your wagon?" but fortunately sense
prevailed.)

I've seen a motorhome which I like _except_ that it's paint is a
mixture of beige, grey, and puce. Yuck! Is it possible to paint it as
one would a house (rather than as one would a car)? Any suggestions
for changing it to a pristine white??

--
TIA,
James

Why not just go the whole hog and stone clad it?

We want to paint one of ours like ashlar. It is our castle after all.

I once saw a mini painted in a housebrick design and coveted it!

Mary

Old April 1st 08, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,alt.motorhomes,uk.rec.motorcaravans
RustYŠ

"James Harris" wrote in message
.............. Is it possible to paint it as
one would a house (rather than as one would a car)?

It is indeed - I painted my split screen VW with cheap gloss paint from a
DIY shop. You couldn't tell and the gloss finish gave a built in polish!

Old April 1st 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,alt.motorhomes,uk.rec.motorcaravans
James Harris

On 1 Apr, 12:44, "RustYŠ" wrote:
"James Harris" wrote in message

.............. Is it possible to paint it as
one would a house (rather than as one would a car)?

It is indeed - I painted my split screen VW with cheap gloss paint from a
DIY shop. You couldn't tell and the gloss finish gave a built in polish!

I expect the metal of a motorhome shell will expand and contract
somewhat due to variations in temperature. Does the gloss paint flex
sufficiently over time?

Old April 1st 08, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,alt.motorhomes,uk.rec.motorcaravans
James Harris

On 1 Apr, 08:01, Occam wrote:
To the OP I would suggest you do a Google search for
Combi-Color and roller painting a car.
I recently painted a friends T25 VW with Combi Color and a small
roller and the finish was superb. No primer as well other than filling
some small dents and at around 65 pounds all in it was cheap too.

Have found Rustˇoleum CombiColor. I guess that's the stuff. Thanks.
Old April 1st 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,alt.motorhomes,uk.rec.motorcaravans
RustYŠ

"James Harris" wrote in message

I expect the metal of a motorhome shell will expand and contract
somewhat due to variations in temperature. Does the gloss paint flex
sufficiently over time?

Yes - I owned it for several years after I painted it and never had any
problem with cracks or flaking. You might think that the paint would react
to the paint and polish already there but I had no problems. I remember
that I painted the rear tailgate first - its nice and flat and I thought it
would be a bit easier to fetch it all off if anything went wrong but it was
so good I soon did the rest.

Old April 8th 08, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,alt.motorhomes,uk.rec.motorcaravans
James Harris

On 2 Apr, 07:53, Occam wrote:
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 06:37:50 -0700 (PDT), James Harris

wrote:
On 1 Apr, 08:01, Occam wrote:
To the OP I would suggest you do a Google search for
Combi-Color and roller painting a car.
I recently painted a friends T25 VW with Combi Color and a small
roller and the finish was superb. No primer as well other than filling
some small dents and at around 65 pounds all in it was cheap too.

Have found Rust?oleum CombiColor. I guess that's the stuff. Thanks.

Yep thats it. Thin it down about 20% and use the small rollers from
B&Q

OK ta