Motorhome insurance

Old April 1st 08, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Darren B

Default Motorhome insurance

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 18:54:07 +0100, Darren B
wrote:

It's just occurred to me that my insurance with Norwich Union is
basically just a car policy so not much use for campers.

I checked the CCC site and got a quote a 1/3rd cheaper and much better
cover for MHs so I need to get a more specific policy.

Any comments on who you use and what sort of cover we need to ensure
we get?

Thanks for the names so far. I'm looking for tried and tested
companies that you actually have experience in using either with or
without a claim.

One thing I have noticed which is a little crafty is they all seem to
claim around up to 3k contents etc, but the maximum paid out in any
one claim can be as little as 350! add to that an excess of around
100 and it's not that impressive! Fine if you lose one or two items
if someone ransacks your camper, but if you lose the lot it's not much
cop!
Old April 2nd 08, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Gazz

"Occam" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

most if not all motorhome policies have clauses like that in them noways,

mine, with shield becasue it's a self build coachbuilt, is actually insured
with equity red star, was with HSBC thru shield before, we had an accident,
claimed, and HSBC tried everything they could to get out of paying out.

my policy has the 3 grand personal posesion,s think it's 500 per article,
and excess is upto how much u want to pay, think i got mine at 50 quid,

BUT, the TV, dvd player, sat system etc is not covered!!! apparantly it's
cos of all these boy racers putting those dvd players radios in their cars
and getting them nicked lately,
the wording is 'all audio visual equipment' on the policy, and i phoned them
and confirmed, that even tho my TV is screwed to the vans sub structure and
not easily nickable, it's not covered

Most motorhome policies expect you to have all risks cover on your home
contents policy anyway to cover the smaller items,

The motorhome policy does cover you for camping risks which is what a car
policy dosent, i.e. gas bottle fires/explosions, electricoution from the
main hookup, running someones tent over on a campsite, reversing into the
fire point on the camp site (most common claim apparantly) your awning
getting dammaged in a storm, or ripped off side of van and landing on
someones tent and injuring them etc.

Old April 3rd 08, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Wandrin

I had a medical problem in 2006 and was in no condition to drive, my friends
contacted Caravan Guard and they sent a driver out to me and they drove the
van home, no problems at all!!

Peter

"Darren B" wrote