Alhambra Towcar?

Old April 1st 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T[_2_]

Default Alhambra Towcar?

Any info plse re towing with a diesel 1.9 think they are 110 or 115 hp?

Van is 2 berth about 1100k plse no referals to whattowcar would
prefersomeones actual experience before I buy.Cant stand declining speed on
motorway inclines!!
TIA

Old April 2nd 08, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ColinS

Hi

I assume you are looking at a used Alhambra as I think they now have 140 hp
from the turbo diesel. Slightly older ones have 130 hp then the older still
ones have 115 with the very 1st ones down at 90.

I have owned a 115 SE and now have a 2004 130 model.

I tow a biggish single axle at 1450 Kg,

The Alhambra is a great towcar and a good drive not towing. You might still
find you slow a little on inclines but not that much and with cruise control
on it probably won't matter too much.. If you change down from 6th in good
time it will pull up almost any motorway at 60 no problem.

Great cars and very underrated

Colin

Old April 2nd 08, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris Day

Hello

I have a Alhambra SE 130 2004
I have towed a Swift Challenger (1350kg) with it from new all around the UK
and Europe

I used to tow with a 2litre Ghia Mondeo and the Alhambra is far better in
every way

Returns a good MPG when towing ( right foot behaving) and alway has plenty
of power

Hope this Helps

Chris

Old April 3rd 08, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T[_2_]

Thanks to both of you sounds like I have picked the right car. Need a7
seater and trying to advoid the ridiculous and unfair hike in car tax.The
Alhambra seems to kick in at the low rate, except for some reason the auto
version.
Can`t afford a new one so was working on a 2002/3 model which will be the
115 I think. Are there any known problems with them..eat tyres or whatever?

Thanks

Old April 4th 08, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Capt T
writes

"Capt T" wrote in message
Any info plse re towing with a diesel 1.9 think they are 110 or 115 hp?

Van is 2 berth about 1100k plse no referals to whattowcar would
prefersomeones actual experience before I buy.Cant stand declining speed
on motorway inclines!!
TIA

Autos are generally less efficient than manuals and hence can appear in
a higher emissions/tax group. My wife's VW Polo is a notorious example.

Something to watch out for if you are thinking of an auto.
--
hugh
Old April 7th 08, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
run4cover

"Capt T" wrote in message
Any info plse re towing with a diesel 1.9 think they are 110 or 115 hp?

Van is 2 berth about 1100k plse no referals to whattowcar would
prefersomeones actual experience before I buy.Cant stand declining speed
on motorway inclines!!
TIA

I towed 1450kg with an 06 140ps Alhambra.

Problems occur when the car is laden at the rear (either with gear or
passengers) This tends to reduce traction on the front end, resulting in
torque steer on wet roundabouts (even taking them carefully)

If you use rally sites you might well run into problems on wet grass (again,
caused by the levering effect of weight in the rear that lifts the front end
slightly)

Horses for course - and if you need the 7 seats your options are limited.
We changed for a 4x4 simply because all our caravanning is of the 'wet 'n'
muddy field' variety.

Ours was too new to have problems - but you can easily get depressed reading
the Seat forums. The Alhambra eats front tyres (and they are expensive)
it's also prone to failure of the MAF valve. The rear secondary heater
(diesel fueled) also has a habit of going bang, filling the cabin with thick
smoke Air con failure is almost a certainty! - usually occurring about
one month out of warranty. AC was probably *the* most widely reported fault
on the Seat forums.

The PD diesels use a lot of oil (certainly in comparison to common rail
engines) Be careful to top up with the right stuff - it has to be suitable
for PD engines - we used to carry some in case we were unable to find the
correct grade when we needed it.

Aircon is weak in the back. We had the 'sport' pack and the ride was quite
harsh - also the engine always sounded 'growly', as if it was being pushed
hard, even when solo.

If you have the trip computer you will wince at the consumption figures when
pulling away with the caravan - lot's of 8, 9 & 10 mpg Once underway
you'll get around 25mpg towing. Our 4x4 is obviously similar - but with no
trip computer I don't have to see it

Solo, our Alhambra returned nearly 40mpg - which was good for the size of
the car.

The seats were hard wearing - but *very* easily stained - for some reason,
even rain drops would leave nasty marks, I've never owned a car with such
temperamental upholstery.

Climate control was FOUL! - buried low down, hard to set (and it seemed to
have a mind of its own) and was nearly the cause of a couple of nasty
accidents due to me fiddling with it - and it never did get really icy cold.