Credit cards in France

Old April 4th 08, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Daznat

Default Credit cards in France

Hi

My Partner and I are travelling through France on the way to Spain this
summer for the first time. We'll be spending one night in France, but
will be travelling all day on a Sunday, what concerns me is I have read
in some caravan magazines that petrol might be hard to come by as most
stations will be closed on Sunday, is this true, As we will be
travelling the fastest way we can, (Autobahn) I thought there may be 24h
service station there, again am I right in thinking this. One last
concern will I be able to use my UK credit card in French petrol
stations or automatic pumps, if not what other method can I use to pay
if not cash.

Thank you

Darren
Old April 4th 08, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robert.Spilleboudt

Daznat wrote:
Hi

My Partner and I are travelling through France on the way to Spain this
summer for the first time. We'll be spending one night in France, but
will be travelling all day on a Sunday, what concerns me is I have read
in some caravan magazines that petrol might be hard to come by as most
stations will be closed on Sunday, is this true, As we will be
travelling the fastest way we can, (Autobahn) I thought there may be 24h
service station there, again am I right in thinking this. One last
concern will I be able to use my UK credit card in French petrol
stations or automatic pumps, if not what other method can I use to pay
if not cash.

Thank you

Darren

autoroute service station are alwayse open
Payements :

Visa is no problem , but some other cards are not accepted
full detail he
http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/service-...t-methods.html
Happy travel
Robert
Old April 4th 08, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roland Messerschmidt

Hi Darren,

Daznat schrieb:

France, but will be travelling all day on a Sunday, what concerns
me is I have read in some caravan magazines that petrol might be
hard to come by as most stations will be closed on Sunday, is this
true,

Major brand petrol stations are open everyday and will accept foreign
credit cards.
On major routes even 24 hours a day.
But I woudn't bet to find an open station at 10pm on a small Route
National... ;-)

One last concern will I be able to use my UK credit
card in French petrol stations or automatic pumps, if not what
other method can I use to pay if not cash.

That's the problem that petrol stations at super markets are a lot
cheaper.
But - and there an always buts ;-) - these stations are operated fully
automatic on Sundays or at night (off opening hours) and you have to
have a french (!) debit (!) card (Card Bleu) to use these petrol
stations.

And even on workdays you (or we, with our 3,50 m high motor caravan)
can't use every of these station because of their height restictions -
down to 2,20 m (entry bar) or 2,80 m (roof)

Roland

Old April 4th 08, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dutchman

Get a nationwide CC, no extras or commission using it in Euroland
"Robert.Spilleboudt " wrote in
message ...

Old April 8th 08, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian McFarlane[_2_]

In article , lid
says...
Hi Darren,

Daznat schrieb:

[...]

Things are changing and some automatic pumps do now accept UK credit
cards. The Leclerc supermarket on the outskirts of Pons (approx 5 mile
East of J36 on the A10), which opened in October last year, accepts UK
credit cards in the automatic pumps. The Intermarche supermarket at
Isneauville which is just off the A28 North of Rouen also takes UK cards
in the automatic pumps. I have used both of these with a UK Nationwide
card.

The problem is that you cannot tell which use UK cards and which don't
until you try.

As far as I am aware the service stations on the Autoroutes are manned
24 hours so you should never have a problem paying by card in the shop.
It is off the motorway that they switch to automatic overnight and quite
often at lunchtime too.

Old April 8th 08, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Daznat

Daznat wrote:
Hi

My Partner and I are travelling through France on the way to Spain this
summer for the first time. We'll be spending one night in France, but
will be travelling all day on a Sunday, what concerns me is I have read
in some caravan magazines that petrol might be hard to come by as most
stations will be closed on Sunday, is this true, As we will be
travelling the fastest way we can, (Autobahn) I thought there may be 24h
service station there, again am I right in thinking this. One last
concern will I be able to use my UK credit card in French petrol
stations or automatic pumps, if not what other method can I use to pay
if not cash.

Thank you

Darren

Thanks to all for your advice.