Mondeo 2.2 diesel as a towcar

Old April 10th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Default Mondeo 2.2 diesel as a towcar

I am thinking of buying a Mondeo 2.2 diesel to tow my 2007 Swift
Challenge 540 (miro1334 kg). Anyone had experience of this Mondeo
towing anyting around this weight?
Old April 10th 08, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Eric Smith

I have not long bought a Mondeo 2 ltr TDCI (130bhp) as a tow car to replace
my Shogun.
I did this maily because of the fuel consumtion figures that I was getting
from the Shogun.
I find that the engine has more than enough power.
My only complaint is that after coming from a 2 1/4ton Shogun to a 1 1/3ton
Mondeo
I somtimes feel that in heavy winds it feels like the tail is wagging the
dog.
My caravan has a miro of 1440kg, so you should have more than adequate
pulling power for your Swift.
I have read very good things about the 2.2 engine. And the Mondeo is a
brilliant car that returns very good fuel figures in comfort.

--
Best Regards
Eric

Old April 12th 08, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 02:09:15 +0100, "run4cover"
wrote:

"bill lord" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:03:20 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I am thinking of buying a Mondeo 2.2 diesel to tow my 2007 Swift
Challenge 540 (miro1334 kg). Anyone had experience of this Mondeo
towing anyting around this weight?

I tow a 1450kg HYmer Nova 470 with a Mondeo 2.0 115 TDCi and it does
it brilliantly, With all the extra torque and power the 2.2 should do
even better. What surprised me was that the 2.2 weighs less than the
2.0.
Bill Lord

Save your energy Bill - I know you are a genuine contributor, and always
ready to offer help and advice, but the ****e who come here now are not
worth helping.

They will never post a word of thanks, nor give any indication that the have
found information beneficial. They are users, spongers, worthless counts
who deserve to be cheated and sold spongy vans by thieving gippo's.

**** on them! - just concentrate on enjoying our hobby while we still can.
Let the newbie's be arse ****ed until they bleed - who cares?

I have posted on here for the last 10 or twelve years and I do not
intend to stop now. If I ever see a reasonable request I will continue
to answer it.
Bill Lord

Old April 16th 08, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
alansd[_2_]

wrote in message
I am thinking of buying a Mondeo 2.2 diesel to tow my 2007 Swift
Challenge 540 (miro1334 kg). Anyone had experience of this Mondeo
towing anyting around this weight?

I have the 2.2 ST TDCi tows like a dream - you have 155hp and 400nm on
tap - I don't even know the van is there - you will have no problems with
your van. The petrol ST is classed as not suitable for towing probably
because of the stiffened suspension but even so the diesel seems to be
absolutely fine. Fuel consumption around 50mpg with no van around 34 mpg
with.

Alansd

Old April 17th 08, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
TTT

I tow a 1500 MTPM caravan with a 130 TDCi estate with no problems - other
than the obvious ones of towing at 100%. Several advantages to the estate -
they weigh quite a bit more, and if you go to a Ghia or above they have self
levelling suspension.

Old April 18th 08, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On 17 Apr, 15:24, "TTT" wrote:
I tow a 1500 MTPM caravan with a 130 TDCi estate with no problems - other
than the obvious ones of towing at 100%. *Several advantages to the estate -
they weigh quite a bit more, and if you go to a Ghia or above they have self
levelling suspension.

Thanks for (most of) the responses. I have bought a 2.2 Mondeo.
Old April 18th 08, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
alansd[_2_]

wrote in message
On 17 Apr, 15:24, "TTT" wrote:
I tow a 1500 MTPM caravan with a 130 TDCi estate with no problems - other
than the obvious ones of towing at 100%. Several advantages to the
estate -
they weigh quite a bit more, and if you go to a Ghia or above they have
self
levelling suspension.

Thanks for (most of) the responses. I have bought a 2.2 Mondeo.

You will have a lot of fun with the car regardless of caravan pulling
the sheer acceleration will bring a smile to your face :-)

alansd

Old April 18th 08, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:21:34 +0100, "alansd"
wrote:

You will have a lot of fun with the car regardless of caravan pulling
the sheer acceleration will bring a smile to your face :-)

alansd

And if you need anything else to bring a smile to your face the fuel
consumption will help. Enjoy it.
Bill Lord