Some advice please

Old April 13th 08, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

Default Some advice please

Some advice please

I've just acquired a trailer with an Alko hitch and built in stabilizer

I'm told that it has to be a dry ball and NO grease must get any where near it

My problem is that I have another trailer that an ordinary ball and stabilizer

What's the best solution

I'm a bit lazy I don't want to have to change the balls each time I tow

DieSea

I'll say thanks in advance , just in case my memory fails

You cant help getting old and past it

It comes to every one eventually ;-)))

Old April 13th 08, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"DieSea" wrote in message
Some advice please

I've just acquired a trailer with an Alko hitch and built in stabilizer

I'm told that it has to be a dry ball and NO grease must get any where
near it

My problem is that I have another trailer that an ordinary ball and
stabilizer

What's the best solution

I'm a bit lazy I don't want to have to change the balls each time I tow

DieSea

I'll say thanks in advance , just in case my memory fails

You cant help getting old and past it

It comes to every one eventually ;-)))

Clean ball every time the trailer with grease on used with a grease remover.

Or put Alko stabilizer on both.

I have seen people put a plastic bag on a farmers towball when being pulled
off a field, but whether you could go on a full trip I not know.

Please reply to News Group

Old April 13th 08, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lunar475

On 13 Apr, 15:20, "David" wrote:

[...]

Clean the ball with white spirit on a grease free cloth before
attaching the Alko hitch.
Old April 13th 08, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 15:11:47 +0100, "DieSea"
wrote:

Some advice please

I've just acquired a trailer with an Alko hitch and built in stabilizer

I'm told that it has to be a dry ball and NO grease must get any where near it

My problem is that I have another trailer that an ordinary ball and stabilizer

What's the best solution

I'm a bit lazy I don't want to have to change the balls each time I tow

DieSea

I'll say thanks in advance , just in case my memory fails

You cant help getting old and past it

It comes to every one eventually ;-)))

I carry a spray can of brake cleaner with me and a supply of paper
towels. I clean the ball off every time before hooking up and so far
have no problems after 5 years.
Bill Lord

Old April 13th 08, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

wrote:

Some advice please

I've just acquired a trailer with an Alko hitch and built in stabilizer

I'm told that it has to be a dry ball and NO grease must get any where near it

My problem is that I have another trailer that an ordinary ball and stabilizer

What's the best solution

I'm a bit lazy I don't want to have to change the balls each time I tow

DieSea

I'll say thanks in advance , just in case my memory fails

You cant help getting old and past it

It comes to every one eventually ;-)))

I use meths to clean the ball ( I use a trailer as well) white spirit
tends to leave an oily film.

Lenny

Eurolites - the number one headlamp beam converter.
California Scents - Air Fresheners in a tin from the USA.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/motor-essentials

Old April 13th 08, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

I can see this question arising quite often in future.
Does it work if you grease the ball and accept the loss of damping on
the Alko hitch?

John
Old April 13th 08, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy[_3_]

John said the following on 13/04/2008 18:44:
I can see this question arising quite often in future.
Does it work if you grease the ball and accept the loss of damping on
the Alko hitch?

John

It would work, but the pads would be contaminated and would need to be
replaced for the stabilizer to be of any further use.

Roy
Old April 13th 08, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"John" wrote in message
I can see this question arising quite often in future.
Does it work if you grease the ball and accept the loss of damping on
the Alko hitch?

John

I've been told that if you use a greasy ball on an Alko hitch the stabiliser
effect is gone

I've also been told that a new set of pads is about 35.00

I asked my Mrs what she wanted a new van when our 2 berth was good enough for the
last 10 years

I'll say no more ,its not a good idea to argue with a Yorkshire women , you never
win

;-))

Any way thanks to all who replied

DieSea

DieSea

Old April 13th 08, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"DieSea" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
I can see this question arising quite often in future.
Does it work if you grease the ball and accept the loss of damping on
the Alko hitch?

John

I've been told that if you use a greasy ball on an Alko hitch the
stabiliser effect is gone

I've also been told that a new set of pads is about 35.00

I asked my Mrs what she wanted a new van when our 2 berth was good enough
for the last 10 years

I'll say no more ,its not a good idea to argue with a Yorkshire women ,
you never win

;-))

Any way thanks to all who replied

DieSea

DieSea

My dearly comes from Wapping, a good 200 odd miles south of York and I would
never argue with her. Well not for long anyway :-)

Regards.
Dave.
'You can see the Isle of Wight from here'

Old April 13th 08, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave D

"Dave D" wrote in message

"DieSea" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

I missed out 'beloved'. After 53 years is that a 'Freudian slip? Or a
bottle of claret ?
Regards.
Dave.
'You can still see the Isle of Wight from here, if you climb the hill behind
the house.'