Do you understand Driving Licences at 70+

Old April 15th 08, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Do you understand Driving Licences at 70+

Just got my driving licence as I approach 70 and it is for 4 years, as
previous one expires at 70 years.

Lots of classes on the previous one not shown on new one.
Such as medium sized van, minibus etc.
Am I no longer allowed to drive these? Looking at the supplied leaflets I
can see mentions of age restrictions for young drivers but not older.
I ask as I have been driving a Luton van for a charity and possibly a Church
minibus.
As this happened to those of you at 70?
My caravan is a small 2 berth but I see a restiction of 750kg for trailers,
I'm assuming it is ok for 70+ to tow caravans.

Please reply to News Group

Old April 15th 08, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

You shouldn't have lost any entitlements.
DVLA have a history of losing groups off peoples licences. A google
search brings lots of hits. Act quickly as DVLA shred old licences and
refuse to accept any proof of your entitlements.

Old April 15th 08, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

Once you hit 70, you lose all the categories for which you need a higher
medical standard unless you explicitly elect to keep them and submit a
group 2 medical examination report (D4) AFAICT at age 70 and whenever you
renew your licence - but check with DVLA. Your doctor will charge for the
medical and completing the DVLA form.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/inf4d.pdf gives some information.

HTH,

Geoff
Old April 15th 08, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

David wrote:

Just got my driving licence as I approach 70 and it is for 4 years, as
previous one expires at 70 years.

Lots of classes on the previous one not shown on new one.
Such as medium sized van, minibus etc.
Am I no longer allowed to drive these? Looking at the supplied
leaflets I can see mentions of age restrictions for young drivers but
not older. I ask as I have been driving a Luton van for a charity and
possibly a
Church minibus.
As this happened to those of you at 70?
My caravan is a small 2 berth but I see a restiction of 750kg for
trailers, I'm assuming it is ok for 70+ to tow caravans.

You *do* lose some groups by default when you reach 70 - but at least some
of these can be re-instated if you provide evidence of medical fitness.
There is a section about it on the DVLA site at:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022086
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 15th 08, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 05:38:38 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

You shouldn't have lost any entitlements.
DVLA have a history of losing groups off peoples licences. A google
search brings lots of hits. Act quickly as DVLA shred old licences and
refuse to accept any proof of your entitlements.

Ah right then I must lose my old licence and get a new one before I am
70 so that if they send me a wrong licence I can miraculously find the
old one and orove my entitlement. -
Bill Lord

Old April 16th 08, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John

Ah right then I must lose my old licence and get a new one before I am
70 so that if they send me a wrong licence I can miraculously find the
old one and orove my entitlement. -
Bill Lord

It costs 17.50 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than taking a test.
Guess what I've done :-)

John
Old April 16th 08, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 06:22:58 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

Ah right then I must lose my old licence and get a new one before I am
70 so that if they send me a wrong licence I can miraculously find the
old one and orove my entitlement. -
Bill Lord

It costs 17.50 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than taking a test.
Guess what I've done :-)

John

I can't imagine................. I wonder......... perhaps you had the
same idea as me. My points are due off my licence ( first last and
only ones in 40 years from a camera ) in a couple of years I will wait
till then.
Bill Lord

Old April 16th 08, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

wrote:

Ah right then I must lose my old licence and get a new one before I am
70 so that if they send me a wrong licence I can miraculously find the
old one and orove my entitlement. -
Bill Lord

It costs 17.50 which is a hell of a lot cheaper than taking a test.
Guess what I've done :-)

John

I can't imagine................. I wonder......... perhaps you had the
same idea as me. My points are due off my licence ( first last and
only ones in 40 years from a camera ) in a couple of years I will wait
till then.
Bill Lord

To do that Bill you have to "Trade" your old licence in

If you "loose" it , you can get another , but it costs you !!

I somehow lost my motor bike licence group back in the '60's when I changed it
from a red ( Chairman Mao ) book , but never bothered

I've never had more than 3 points on my licence at any time and the paper licence
still looks in pristine condition

With my more frequent visits across the channel I think it's about time mine got
updated ,

Now where is it ????????????

I do have a photo copy to help me with my claim

DieSea

Old April 16th 08, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"DieSea" wrote in message

I somehow lost my motor bike licence group back in the '60's when I
changed it from a red ( Chairman Mao ) book , but never bothered

I lost my little red book but never needed it until I had brain surgery and
wasn't allowed to drive for a year or two - then it was restricted so I had
to have a paper one :-(
I've never had more than 3 points on my licence at any time and the paper
licence still looks in pristine condition

Everything was fully restored but the paper one is very scruffy because it
doesn't fit anywhere so used to be carried loose in my (tool rather than
hand)bag.

With my more frequent visits across the channel I think it's about time
mine got updated ,

Now where is it ????????????

No idea where mine is - nor the silly photocard which came with it but has
never been used.

Credit card sized all-encompassing ID cards can't come soon enough but since
my pumpkin date is next year I don't suppose they will be here in time!

Mary

Old April 16th 08, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:00:04 +0100, "DieSea"
wrote:

To do that Bill you have to "Trade" your old licence in

If you "loose" it , you can get another , but it costs you !!

17.50 but if it means I can keep the groups I have now then I will
pay it. Apparently they refuse to accept photocopy evidence

I somehow lost my motor bike licence group back in the '60's when I changed it
from a red ( Chairman Mao ) book , but never bothered

I've never had more than 3 points on my licence at any time and the paper licence
still looks in pristine condition

With my more frequent visits across the channel I think it's about time mine got
updated ,

Now where is it ????????????

I do have a photo copy to help me with my claim

DVLA have a reputation of not accepting photocopy evidence and once
they have your old licence they shred it.

Bill Lord