Hardstanding awning pegs advice please

Old April 16th 08, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dribbler[_2_]

Default Hardstanding awning pegs advice please

We have just spent a very soggy (but enjoyable) weekend on grass/mud. As I'm
wheelchair dependant, I was caravan-bound for the weekend because we didn't
want to erect the awning and get it filthy. Therefore, we are going to book
a hardstanding pitch for next time.
Can anyone please give advice about the pegs I will need to buy for my
awning?
Need they be horrendously expensive?
Will we need to lay down something extra on the floor or does the average
breathable groundsheet cope with compacted stones?

Thank you,
Dribbler

Old April 16th 08, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tony h

generally, hard standing pitches are only hard where the caravan itself
goes, the area to the side should be grassed, or at worst gravel, i use some
pegs a bit like 8" nails, cost about 80p each from the camping shop, and
they'll drive (with a lump hammer) into almost anything without bending

Old April 16th 08, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

You will find them at a caravan dealer, watch prices they vary a lot, might
be called Rock pegs. You will find you can buy loose or a set in a plastic
box. I bought a set in a box for about 9 but only sufficent in it for a
porch awning, so you need to know the number you need for your awning.
Loose I would suggest a target price of 50p each.
You will no doubt find the site will sell them. At one site I went to my
first with hard standing they lent me some.
You will need a good steel hammer, get one with a claw to pull the pegs out.
You might find no ground sheet is required, in our porch we use an old piece
of breatheable under a nice piece in case the hardcore causes damage.

Please reply to News Group

Old April 16th 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

"Dribbler" wrote in news:66m3rpF2k1sfhU1
@mid.individual.net:

Can anyone please give advice about the pegs I will need to buy for my
awning?
Need they be horrendously expensive?

Whether they're horrendously expensive depends on your expectations, but
it's a one-off cost and you should be able to buy all you need for less
than fifty quid.

Normal "rock pegs" are a bit like six-inch nails (or larger) with platic
heads to hold the guys in place. Typical cost is between 50p and a pound
each. You'll need to hit these with something a bit more substantial than a
cheap, rubber-headed mallet (FWIW, I use a 4lb lump hammer!)

Also available are screw pegs, like Wurmi (http://www.wurmi.co.uk/) and
Threadpegs (http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/details/17877.html) at about
fifty quid for a set of forty standard sixteen quid for twenty. You screw
these into the ground with a cordless drill, corner-steady winder, hand
adaptor, etc.

Rock pegs are of limited use on soft ground because they pull out quite
easily, so you'd need to keep your existing pegs for use on soft ground.
However, threaded pegs work almost anywhere.

HTH,

Geoff
Old April 16th 08, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:46:53 +0100, "tony h" wrote:

generally, hard standing pitches are only hard where the caravan itself
goes, the area to the side should be grassed, or at worst gravel, i use some
pegs a bit like 8" nails, cost about 80p each from the camping shop, and
they'll drive (with a lump hammer) into almost anything without bending

CC hard standings are generally the full width of the pitch,
sufficient to take the car, caravan and awning. Putting the awning
onto the grass defeats the object, people with grounsheets will kill
the grass and you end up with another muddy patch.
Bill Lord

Old April 16th 08, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:48:34 +0100, "Dribbler"
wrote:

We have just spent a very soggy (but enjoyable) weekend on grass/mud. As I'm
wheelchair dependant, I was caravan-bound for the weekend because we didn't
want to erect the awning and get it filthy. Therefore, we are going to book
a hardstanding pitch for next time.
Can anyone please give advice about the pegs I will need to buy for my
awning?
Need they be horrendously expensive?
Will we need to lay down something extra on the floor or does the average
breathable groundsheet cope with compacted stones?

Thank you,
Dribbler

I have a full set of the red plastic ones to hammer in on grass, a
full set of hardened steel rockpegs ( about 50p each) and a full set
off steel screw in pegs ( about 75p each though they were selling them
at Southport cc site for 65p each ) I set myself up with the screw
ones last year and including a 30 drill I spent about 60 but they
are a big improvement on anything else I have tried. On grass they are
brilliant and wonderfully easy to use, on hardstandings they are
easier than using the lump hammer and steel pegs though on occasion I
have had to resort to the lump hammer with an odd steel peg. The
latter is the only reliable way that I know of pegging in really hard
ground. If I had thought beforehand I would have bought a hammer
drill/driver and carried a long masonary bit with me.

Bill Lord

Old April 16th 08, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy Holmes

I bought some 160mm Coach Screws and Penny Washers from Screwfix,
although you could probably get them from B&Q or somewhere like that.
Cost about a tenner plus carriage for 50.
I use a cheap cordless drill to drill into ground - reverse to remove.
Very simple, very quick, very cheap.

Hope this helps

Regards
Andy Holmes - Remove "fingers from ears" to reply
andy.g6vtr1fingers from
Old April 17th 08, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John East

Andy Holmes wrote:
I bought some 160mm Coach Screws and Penny Washers from Screwfix,
although you could probably get them from B&Q or somewhere like that.
Cost about a tenner plus carriage for 50.
I use a cheap cordless drill to drill into ground - reverse to remove.
Very simple, very quick, very cheap.

Hope this helps

Regards
Andy Holmes - Remove "fingers from ears" to reply
andy.g6vtr1fingers from

We have just tried some of the screw-in kind and they are great, if a
bit expensive. There is an attachment for electric drill (rechargeable
of course) and the pegs cost about 20 UKP for a pack of 20. They have
plastic brackets on the head to fix the awning rubbers. Not cheap but
they go into a hard standing very easily. Sorry but I dont know the
brand name. I would avoid those with a plastic head - these look like a
bolt (13mm) and are metal apart from the bracket already mentioned.
Old April 17th 08, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dribbler[_2_]

"Andy Holmes" wrote in message
I bought some 160mm Coach Screws and Penny Washers from Screwfix,
although you could probably get them from B&Q or somewhere like that.
Cost about a tenner plus carriage for 50.
I use a cheap cordless drill to drill into ground - reverse to remove.
Very simple, very quick, very cheap.

Hope this helps

Regards
Andy Holmes - Remove "fingers from ears" to reply
andy.g6vtr1fingers from

Thank you very much everyone for your great suggestions and advice. I have
decided to go with Andy Holmes idea and have bought 50 coach screws and
penny washers for under a tenner by shopping around.
Only time will tell if they are as good as they appear to be, they
definitely look the part and are so much cheaper, I'm chuffed so far. Thanks
Andy, I'll report back when a hardstanding place becomes available at our
favourite site (very popular it seems).

Cheers all,
Dribbler (aka Kay)

Old April 17th 08, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BILL

"Dribbler" wrote in message
[...]

I did a simular thing,but i had some old plasic pegs with a round collar
underneath the hook.
the peg was cut leaving the collar on and drilled to suit the metal peg .