leveller. What do you use?

Old April 17th 08, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Darren B

Default leveller. What do you use?

Currently we are using two big heavy chunks of wood to level our
motorhome. They are heavy and take a lot of space up. Are the plastic
levellers from the caravan shops any good?

What do you use for levelling your van with success?

TIA.
Old April 17th 08, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

Following a tip in a magazine I made my ramp from four ply boards about 2 ft
long 8" wide 1" deep and put a bolt through the centre at one end then cut
an incline in the other end/s (with a small wheel stop block on end of the
top board). You swivel the boards to level to between 1" to 4" - i suppose
you could put a fifth board on but Ive never found it necessary. I have a
bolt in the middle as well to keep them together when we are travelling.
I have a mover and this means my raised wheel is always on the flat. And its
much easier to manage levelling if your van is not on a ramp and trying to
slide back down while you are trying to sort the steadies.

Old April 18th 08, 07:05 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Mike" wrote in message
Following a tip in a magazine I made my ramp from four ply boards about 2
ft long 8" wide 1" deep and put a bolt through the centre at one end then
cut an incline in the other end/s (with a small wheel stop block on end of
the top board). You swivel the boards to level to between 1" to 4" - i
suppose you could put a fifth board on but Ive never found it necessary.
I have a bolt in the middle as well to keep them together when we are
travelling.
I have a mover and this means my raised wheel is always on the flat. And
its much easier to manage levelling if your van is not on a ramp and
trying to slide back down while you are trying to sort the steadies.

I used blocks of 4x2 when I had a caravan. For some reason I didn't use
these blocks for most of a year and left them in the garage. When I
retrieved them from their box they'd been destroyed by what I took to be
woodworm, loads of small holes, a fine powder in the bottom of the box and
the blocks had lost most of their mass. I gather that woodworm like damp
wood and wood left under a caravan wheel for a few weekends a year stays
damp

I also assume that, had I left these blocks in the caravan, the creatures
could have started munching on the caravan itself when they got fed up with
the blocks.

Now I use the yellow plastic ramp things, they work great.

Rgds

Andy R

Old April 19th 08, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
KM[_3_]

Darren B wrote:
|| Currently we are using two big heavy chunks of wood to level our
|| motorhome. They are heavy and take a lot of space up. Are the plastic
|| levellers from the caravan shops any good?
|| What do you use for levelling your van with success?
|| TIA.

We use the Yellow Fliamina (or however you spell it) ramps - they sit under
the cab seats when we are moving - one good tip is to use them upside down
if the ground is very soft - they wont sink in

Martyn

--
===========================
Martyn K

http://www.czd.org.uk

Old April 19th 08, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Darren[_2_]

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:24:44 +0100, "KM"
wrote:

Darren B wrote:
|| Currently we are using two big heavy chunks of wood to level our
|| motorhome. They are heavy and take a lot of space up. Are the plastic
|| levellers from the caravan shops any good?
|| What do you use for levelling your van with success?
|| TIA.

We use the Yellow Fliamina (or however you spell it) ramps - they sit under
the cab seats when we are moving - one good tip is to use them upside down
if the ground is very soft - they wont sink in

How does that work then? I thought it was the same difference!

Thanks for the response guys, it looks like I can get rid of my planks
now.
Old April 21st 08, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:54:18 +0100, Darren B
wrote:

Currently we are using two big heavy chunks of wood to level our
motorhome. They are heavy and take a lot of space up. Are the plastic
levellers from the caravan shops any good?

What do you use for levelling your van with success?

TIA.

I've used plywood blocks in the past, but several years ago, I picked
up a couple of yellow plastic ramps at a boot sale and have used these
ever since. However I don't pull the 'van up them, I use a HiLift
jack(which lives in the Land Rover anyway) to get the correct level by
lifting one wheel, and then position the ramps to the correct height
by placing one on top of the other but the opposite way around so that
the top surface of the resulting block is level. I've been doing it
this way for ages, and never had any problems.

Neil

Old April 21st 08, 06:07 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Darren[_2_]

wrote:

Currently we are using two big heavy chunks of wood to level our
motorhome. They are heavy and take a lot of space up. Are the plastic
levellers from the caravan shops any good?

What do you use for levelling your van with success?

TIA.

I've used plywood blocks in the past, but several years ago, I picked
up a couple of yellow plastic ramps at a boot sale and have used these
ever since. However I don't pull the 'van up them, I use a HiLift
jack(which lives in the Land Rover anyway) to get the correct level by
lifting one wheel, and then position the ramps to the correct height
by placing one on top of the other but the opposite way around so that
the top surface of the resulting block is level. I've been doing it
this way for ages, and never had any problems.

I was looking at the hi lift jacks (aka farm jack) but could find no
way of using it on a camper (luton style) body. How did you get it to
work?

Old April 24th 08, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 07:07:50 +0100, Darren
wrote:

I've used plywood blocks in the past, but several years ago, I picked
up a couple of yellow plastic ramps at a boot sale and have used these
ever since. However I don't pull the 'van up them, I use a HiLift
jack(which lives in the Land Rover anyway) to get the correct level by
lifting one wheel, and then position the ramps to the correct height
by placing one on top of the other but the opposite way around so that
the top surface of the resulting block is level. I've been doing it
this way for ages, and never had any problems.

I was looking at the hi lift jacks (aka farm jack) but could find no
way of using it on a camper (luton style) body. How did you get it to
work?

On the caravan wheel rim directly. You'd really need to see a picture
to get the idea(I could email you some). I don't know if you could do
it like this on a motor home, there is an attachment which might make
it possible.

Neil

Old April 25th 08, 06:10 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
Dogpoop

Neil typed:
wrote:

[...]

I'd be interested in how you do this. Could you post the pics somewhere,
say http://www.flickr.com/ ? Be a big help to a few people, I think.

--
Dogpoop

Stand by me.
http://www.glass-uk.org/

Old April 25th 08, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcaravans,uk.rec.caravanning
KM[_3_]

Darren wrote:
|| On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 18:24:44 +0100, "KM"
|| wrote:
||| We use the Yellow Fliamina (or however you spell it) ramps - they
||| sit under the cab seats when we are moving - one good tip is to use
||| them upside down if the ground is very soft - they wont sink in
|| How does that work then? I thought it was the same difference!
|| Thanks for the response guys, it looks like I can get rid of my
|| planks now.

The tread is on the top, the bottom is open with plastic braces. Put weight
on them and they sink nicely through the soft earth and take out a very nice
pattern. After 24 hours you will be 3" lower than when you started. Turn em
upside down and they don't sink in.

--
Martyn K

http://www.czd.org.uk