Swift Danette query

Old April 18th 08, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dudley Simons

Default Swift Danette query

Hi All

I am still looking for a cheap but dry and serviceable caravan and one
has been put for sale on our notice board at work. Its a Swift Danette
made around 1990

The advert reads as follows

Swift Danette 5-berth (built about 1990). Pale green in colour.

~Perfect starter caravan.. easy to tow - large window at back which
allows rear visibilty through the caravan.
~New tyres fitted last summer.
~Mainly used just by my wife and I (non-smokers).. no pets or young
children so interior is in good condition.
~No damp - has been overwintered in a garage for the past ten years.
~Gas oven, grill and hob. One gas cylinder included.
~Mains electric connection for on-site hookup.
~12V and mains interior lighting and mains sockets.
~Refrigerator which works on gas, mains or 12V electric supply (from car
when towing).
~Electronic battery charger included, but caravan battery needs
replacing in order to use 12V when not towing.
~Gas heater.
~Unused brand new chemical toilet - we have always stayed at sites with
full facilities, of which there are many in the UK.
~Full-size Trio awning included.

Asking price 550 o.n.o.

If it really is dry the price sounds very good.

Anyone care to offer any opinions on this caravan?

There are just three of us, me, my wife and our 9 year old son. Ideally
we need an end bed so that we can sit and read etc in the other end once
the lad is asleep. I have no idea how this van is laid out inside but
I' d guess that with a large window in each end it is either an end
kitchen or an end bed / 2 seat dinette arrangement.

All advice welcome!

I may not be able to reply to the newsgroup over the weekend as I will
have to read via Google groups. I can read news groups ok but have some
kind of config problem that stops me posting to google groups. I will
reply on Monday though when I get back into work.

I look forward to hearing your opinions - damning or otherwise!

regards

Dudley
Old April 18th 08, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:21:32 +0100, Dudley Simons
wrote:

Anyone care to offer any opinions on this caravan?

If it truly is dry then you wll not find aetter bargain to strt ih.
Bill Lord

Old April 18th 08, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dudley Simons

Dudley Simons wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I should also add that I have a Peugeot 307SW estate 1.6 diesel
as a tow car - its the 110bhp not 90bhp engine, just in case its important.
Old April 18th 08, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dudley Simons

wrote:

Anyone care to offer any opinions on this caravan?

If it truly is dry then you wll not find aetter bargain to strt ih.
Bill Lord

I would be surprised if it truly is dry at 18 years old. I managed to
find some images of Danettes on the web and the internal layout looks
good to me. How well are Swifts made?

regards

Dudley
Old April 18th 08, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pedro[_2_]

Hi Dudley

Had a 1985 Swift Pirouette 5 berth for about 14 years. Similar to Danette
but can't remember the detail differences. Great vans for family. Very
lightweight. Struggled to tow with a 1.3 petrol engine but OK with the 1.6
VW. It was so stable (without a stabiliser) that one night when towing up
the M5 I looked in my mirror (through van vision) and saw I was being
followed very closely. Then I realised that it was my van - I'd forgotten
that I was towing. A quick look at the speedo showed that I was also
speeding - doing almost 80mph. That's stable!

My only problem was damp. We had the van resealed more times than I can
remember but scrapped it when damp got below the front triple window. Watch
the awning rail for breaking the mastic seal at roof level local to the
rail. Other than that major issue we had very few problems with a very well
built van which saw thousands of miles and hundreds of nights use.

If it's dry and you like the layout then go for it.

Old April 18th 08, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Debbie Ager

I think its a good buy - I had a 1985 swift and it was dry - I purchased it
a few years back and have since upgraded a few times.

I paid 1750 for mine so 550 is good

Old April 18th 08, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Dudley Simons was thinking very hard :
If it really is dry the price sounds very good.

It does sound good, but do you know how to look for and find damp?

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old April 18th 08, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

[...]

With the awning and accessories the van is actually not costing much at all.
You are right in the layout, double dinette, so bed either end.

Weight will be fine for your car.

The van will be pre the regsitration date (the scheme started in 1992) but
if its a 1990 the serial number should read 90SW and be teaped into the top
of the chassis visible through the hole in the front fairing where the
handbrake comes through.

A real bonus would be some sort of service history, if not, have a careful
look under the caravan at the bottom of the heater to make sure that the
pipes feeding gas to the heater have not corroded.

A run round with a damp meter and a look under the window rubbers will
confirm the dampness status.

Cheers

Old April 18th 08, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

[email protected] home formulated the question :
A real bonus would be some sort of service history, if not, have a careful
look under the caravan at the bottom of the heater to make sure that the
pipes feeding gas to the heater have not corroded.

One particular heater had a known problem with its internal steel gas
feed pipe, which was exposed to the elements - corroding. When lit the
fire could leak gas and quickly set fire to the van with almost no
warning. Happened to me, luckily whilst checking things out in my drive
- just a few feet from a garden hose luckily and I was able to
extinguish. Had it happened in a field, the lot would have gone up,
rather than just a little charing to the underside.

Old April 19th 08, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dieseldes

[...]

Having just sold ours, it should be a great layout for you, The rear bed
(seating area) can be made up for your son, with the parents at the other
end, it has a wooden sliding door which will make your son feel it's his own
space (and privacy for you) , if you need it I should still have a manual
here. (if I can find it).
As for dampness, look at the front corners and the door frame, otherwise at
that age as others have said it will have some dampness,
If you get a couple of years then sell off the bits, you will be ahead and
have had some cheap very enjoyable holidays

Des