Newbie Alert

Old April 18th 08, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
candanski

Default Newbie Alert

Hello There

Much to the exitement of my family I have inherited a Compass Rallye
which I have to rescue from a field in France where it has been for
over a year. I understand it is in good condition but I have never
towed a caravan before let alone in another country. I have to collect
it within three weeks and am feeling somewhat daunted. What advice can
members offer me, I know NOTHING about caravans.
Regards David
Old April 18th 08, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike J

"candanski" wrote in message
Hello There

Much to the exitement of my family I have inherited a Compass Rallye
which I have to rescue from a field in France where it has been for
over a year. I understand it is in good condition but I have never
towed a caravan before let alone in another country. I have to collect
it within three weeks and am feeling somewhat daunted. What advice can
members offer me, I know NOTHING about caravans.
Regards David

.................................................. ......

I think that I would ask a few friends or family, or even your local area if
someone who's used to caravanning was willing to have a trip over and help
you out David.
Although you might get some good advice from here, there's nothing like a
hands on experience to find out what it would be like.
I would certainly help anyone out in a situation like that if it was
possible. Good luck with it and happy caravanning.
All the best.
Mike.

Old April 19th 08, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller[_2_]

"candanski" wrote in message
Hello There

Much to the exitement of my family I have inherited a Compass Rallye
which I have to rescue from a field in France where it has been for
over a year. I understand it is in good condition but I have never
towed a caravan before let alone in another country. I have to collect
it within three weeks and am feeling somewhat daunted. What advice can
members offer me, I know NOTHING about caravans.
Regards David

Wow! Difficult to know where to start, but assuming you have a towbar and
the appropriate electrical sockets fitted to your car, then towing isn't
that difficult if you take things easy. However, there are potential
problems, not the least of which is whether your car is suitable for the
size of caravan - Compass Rallyes come in differnt weights and layouts. I
would also be concerned about the possible state of the caravan if it has
been stuck in a field for over a year, especially the tyres. A good place to
start and get a general feel for the subject is the Caravan Club website
www.caravanclub.co.uk where information leaflets are available in pdf form
to non-members. This might answer a lot of your questions, but certainly I
would endorse the suggestion that you should try to find somebody local with
caravanning experience to give help and practical advice.

John Miller

Old April 19th 08, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
tony h

candanski wrote:
Hello There

Much to the exitement of my family I have inherited a Compass Rallye
which I have to rescue from a field in France where it has been for
over a year. I understand it is in good condition but I have never
towed a caravan before let alone in another country. I have to collect
it within three weeks and am feeling somewhat daunted. What advice can
members offer me, I know NOTHING about caravans.
Regards David

You've got a couple of good bits of advice, i just want to echo Mike's
advice, take someone will you, also pack some basic tools, wheelbrace+ jack
(caravan tyres have a tendency to be knackered/split while still full of
tread, due to long periods 'standing') , grease (for the ball if not a new
alko etc) and some spare bulbs, not forgetting a rear numberplate matching
the towcar, and i always carry a roll of gaffer tape - it fixes anything!

Old April 19th 08, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
candanski

On 18 Apr, 17:48, candanski wrote:

Thank You for the useful advice I think I will have to go it alone
though as I dont really know anyone locally who could help. I will
certainly check out the web sites mentioned. Tyres are a bit of a
worry, I guess I will get someone to have a look and tell me if I
need to take over a replacement.
Is it worth Joining the caravan club do you think?

Thanks for taking the time to reply It is much appreciated.
Old April 19th 08, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne[_2_]

"candanski" wrote in message
On 18 Apr, 17:48, candanski wrote:

Tyres are a bit of a
worry, I guess I will get someone to have a look and tell me if I
need to take over a replacement.
Is it worth Joining the caravan club do you think?

David

Not wishing to be a scare monger but if the van has been standing in one
place for any length of time, certainly more than 12 months I would say
replace the tyres before attempting such a long journey. The possibility is
that they are years old and the recommendation is that they are changed
every 5 years when in regular use.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old April 19th 08, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller[_2_]

"candanski" wrote in message
On 18 Apr, 17:48, candanski wrote:

Thank You for the useful advice I think I will have to go it alone
though as I dont really know anyone locally who could help. I will
certainly check out the web sites mentioned. Tyres are a bit of a
worry, I guess I will get someone to have a look and tell me if I
need to take over a replacement.
Is it worth Joining the caravan club do you think?

Thanks for taking the time to reply It is much appreciated.

In your position, I would certainly think it worth joining one of the major
clubs. The club websites have lots of extra info if you're a member and also
provides access to excellent insurance and assistance while towing abroad.
I'm a member of both clubs and you might actually find that there is more
non-member info on the Camping & Caravanning Club website - see
www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/datasheets

John Miller

Old May 1st 08, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ted Ashby

Would endorse comments re tyres and suggest assume they will need replacing.
Was nearly caught out myself on this one - bought a van and towed it home
over 60 miles to find the sidewalls of the tyres were cracked and could have
gone at any time.

When you get the van back would recommend a service including a gas check
before using it. Again, bought a van, used it a couple of times then had it
serviced -"You do know there's a gas leak under the wardrobe mate?".

Would also recommend joining either Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan Club
(or both!). They each have excellent, well run sites at a good price for
members -well worth 30 pa sub. Good luck.