Cherokee and AlKo stabaliser hitch

Old April 24th 08, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ralph Williams

Default Cherokee and AlKo stabaliser hitch

I'm considering getting a 2005 Jeep Cherokee but have been told that the
spare wheel will get in the way of my AlKo stabiliser handle. Does anyone
have a recent Cherokee and is the spare wheel a problem? Many thanks.

Old April 24th 08, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Ralph Williams
writes
I'm considering getting a 2005 Jeep Cherokee but have been told that the
spare wheel will get in the way of my AlKo stabiliser handle. Does anyone
have a recent Cherokee and is the spare wheel a problem? Many thanks.

Measure the height from the hitch to base of spare wheel and compare
with length of handle on ALKO hitch. Bear in mind you need to raise the
hitch to clear the ball and also the effective length of the ALKO handle
can be reduced by removing the plastic end.

Cherokees have 15" wheels so you might be OK.
--
hugh
Old April 25th 08, 06:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

hugh ] wrote in :

Cherokees have 15" wheels so you might be OK.

So do Pajeros, but AKS hitches foul the spare wheel on them.

On the Pajero, you can often hitch up with the back door open if it clears
the jockey wheel. You can also fork out twenty-five quid or so and buy one
of Al-Ko's 4x4 kludges (the removable handle), or take the screws out of
the standard handle and use that the same way and you would the kludge. If
you use a removable handle, don't leave it on the stabiliser when
travelling - they can drop off.

HTH,

Geoff
Old April 28th 08, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ralph Williams

Thanks Hugh. Unfortunately the Cherokee I'm considering hasn't got a hitch
at present so I can't measure the distance but it doesn't look very big as
the spare wheel appears to be hung quite low on the back door.

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Ralph Williams
writes

Old April 28th 08, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Ralph Williams
writes
Thanks Hugh. Unfortunately the Cherokee I'm considering hasn't got a hitch
at present so I can't measure the distance but it doesn't look very big as
the spare wheel appears to be hung quite low on the back door.

"hugh" ] wrote in message
In message , Ralph Williams
writes
I'm considering getting a 2005 Jeep Cherokee but have been told that the
spare wheel will get in the way of my AlKo stabiliser handle. Does anyone
have a recent Cherokee and is the spare wheel a problem? Many thanks.

Measure the height from the hitch to base of spare wheel and compare with
length of handle on ALKO hitch. Bear in mind you need to raise the hitch
to clear the ball and also the effective length of the ALKO handle can be
reduced by removing the plastic end.

Cherokees have 15" wheels so you might be OK.
--
hugh

Got a dealer anywhere near?
--
hugh
Old April 28th 08, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

"Ralph Williams" wrote in
:

Thanks Hugh. Unfortunately the Cherokee I'm considering hasn't got a
hitch at present so I can't measure the distance but it doesn't look
very big as the spare wheel appears to be hung quite low on the back
door.

Standard height to the top of the towball is 17 inches from the ground. So,
if you park the car on level ground, measure the height from the ground to
the bottom of the spare wheel, and subtract 17 inches, that will give a
good idea of the distance between the top of the towball and the bottom of
the wheel when the towbar is fitted.

HTH,

Geoff
Old April 28th 08, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ralph Williams

Thanks Geoff, that sounds a very simple and effective method.

Regards

..
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
7.64...
"Ralph Williams" wrote in
:

Old April 29th 08, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Geoff
Lane writes
"Ralph Williams" wrote in
:

Thanks Hugh. Unfortunately the Cherokee I'm considering hasn't got a
hitch at present so I can't measure the distance but it doesn't look
very big as the spare wheel appears to be hung quite low on the back
door.

Standard height to the top of the towball is 17 inches from the ground. So,
if you park the car on level ground, measure the height from the ground to
the bottom of the spare wheel, and subtract 17 inches, that will give a
good idea of the distance between the top of the towball and the bottom of
the wheel when the towbar is fitted.

HTH,

Geoff

Not really accurate enough - we are talking millimetres.

Handle clears spare wheel - happiness
Handle fouls on spare wheel - misery
--
hugh
Old April 29th 08, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane[_2_]

hugh ] wrote in :

Not really accurate enough - we are talking millimetres.

Handle clears spare wheel - happiness
Handle fouls on spare wheel - misery

If the distance between ground and spare wheel is 17 inches plus the height
of fully raised handle or less and the handle will almost certainly foul
the spare wheel (unless you can find a towbar that puts the towball behind
the spare). Between 17 inches and 20 inches plus the height of the handle
and you might get away with it. Over 20 inches plus the height of the
handle, and you will almost certainly get away with it. Nobody said it was
exact, just that it could give you an inkling.

Of course, the only way to know for sure is to fit a towbar to the actual
vehicle and try to hitch up - but then it's too late. Even if you find a
Cherokee with a towbar, you've no guarantee that another towbar will
present the head of the towball in the same position. Also the A50-X
towball required for an AKS hitch is usually slightly higher and to the
rear than the more common A50-1.

HTH,

Geoff