Cobb

Old April 24th 08, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Default Cobb

Anyone used one?

If you have you'll know what I'm talking about :-)

Mary

Old April 25th 08, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark Pewsey

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Anyone used one?

If you have you'll know what I'm talking about :-)

Mary

Yes, and it is excellent.

Have only used it with Cobble Stones so far, doing casserole type dishes (IE
no BBQ/frying/grilling) but very pleased with the purchase.

Only down side is that when sat using it in a cold awning it is so efficient
at retaining heat that the chef freezes!

Upside is that I can use it on my plastic topped table without fear of it
melting, and I'm relaxed when the kids are around it as the outside is cool.

Mark

Old April 25th 08, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Mark Pewsey" wrote in message
m...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
Anyone used one?

If you have you'll know what I'm talking about :-)

Mary

Yes, and it is excellent.

Have only used it with Cobble Stones so far, doing casserole type dishes
(IE no BBQ/frying/grilling) but very pleased with the purchase.

Only down side is that when sat using it in a cold awning it is so
efficient at retaining heat that the chef freezes!

Upside is that I can use it on my plastic topped table without fear of it
melting, and I'm relaxed when the kids are around it as the outside is
cool.

Mark

That's very interesting, thank you. Since I'd never heard of it until
yesterday I'd like to know more about it. i looked at the website but was
confused, it seemed to assume that people knew what they wanted and there
was little explanation.

Mary

Old April 25th 08, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark Pewsey

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

snipped

That's very interesting, thank you. Since I'd never heard of it until
yesterday I'd like to know more about it. i looked at the website but was
confused, it seemed to assume that people knew what they wanted and there
was little explanation.

Mary

Which site are you looking at Mary?

I know of two:

http://www.cobbglobal.com/

or

http://cobb-bbq.co.uk/

The global site is particularly good, whilst I bought mine from the UK one -
got the full monty at a special Christmas discounted price. Sorry, looks
like that offer is over.

If you have ever watched the Hairy Bikers cookery/travel shows you will have
seen them using them a lot. That's where I first came across them and
decided I wanted one.

They just refer to them as a charcoal oven, which is pretty much all I've
used mine as so far, but they can be seen grilling/BBQing on them as well.
Their web site does not show them in use though, but does link to one of the
two sites above - the UK one I think.

The earlier shows use the original model, while the latest series have the
new one.

They are doing a two part special Hairy Bikers Come Home on one of the
terrestrial channels at the moment, and they use two of them up on Hardnot
Pass in the Lakes to cook rosti and stuffed chicken breasts. This was on one
of the more obscure channels a few months ago as a one hour special and it's
where they visit Cumbria and then end up in Newcastle via the Lakes and
Northumberland showing where the two lads roots are.

As I said before, I've only used the Cobblestones as fuel, and they are very
good. Really smoky and smelly when you first light them, but very clean
after just a few minutes. Last just under two hours. I will also be trying
it soon with charcoal briquettes which I reckon would allow some control
over heat output and burn time - you don't always want two hours worth of
cooking time.

Old April 25th 08, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
R A

I have had a cobb for a couple of years now, I think it excellent piece of
kit easy to use, can cook allsorts on it, it easy to clean and after tea if
its a bit chilly leave the lid of and it glows nicely to keep the chill off
:-) My brother came to visit up at the van one weekend and he has also now
bought one. This year they have brought out a new fuel like a solid block
but I haven't used them yet as I still have a few backs of cobbles to use
up. 10/10 for me.

Rob

Old April 25th 08, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
R A

P.s. I use the Australian brickets at the moment for fuel, and just as a
note be carefull cleaning the grill pan/top as I used a pad that took of the
protective coating, I got a new one for 20 and only use fairy liquid and it
cleans fine.

Rob

Old April 25th 08, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Mark Pewsey" wrote in message
m...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

snipped

That's very interesting, thank you. Since I'd never heard of it until
yesterday I'd like to know more about it. i looked at the website but was
confused, it seemed to assume that people knew what they wanted and there
was little explanation.

Mary

Which site are you looking at Mary?

I know of two:

http://www.cobbglobal.com/

or

http://cobb-bbq.co.uk/

That one!

The global site is particularly good, whilst I bought mine from the UK
one - got the full monty at a special Christmas discounted price. Sorry,
looks like that offer is over.

I'm not thinking of buying one right now but a friend is very enthusiastic -
she uses it in her kitchen - and the website said it was good for campers.
It would certainly take up less room in out 10' 'van than the gas barbecue
but I wonder if it has the same capacity.

If you have ever watched the Hairy Bikers cookery/travel shows you will
have seen them using them a lot. That's where I first came across them and
decided I wanted one.

I haven't - we haven't a tv.

As I said before, I've only used the Cobblestones as fuel, and they are
very good. Really smoky and smelly when you first light them, but very
clean after just a few minutes. Last just under two hours. I will also be
trying it soon with charcoal briquettes which I reckon would allow some
control over heat output and burn time - you don't always want two hours
worth of cooking time.

You see that was one of my problems with the site, it didn't explain what a
cobblestone was ... or anything really. I need to know more. The company's
address is in Bucks but there's no mention of regional outlets - I'd
certainly want to see the thing first and be able to ask questions. And no,
I can't get to the Game Fair or the other event!

Where did you get yours?

Mary

Old April 26th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark Pewsey

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

snip

Which site are you looking at Mary?

I know of two:

http://www.cobbglobal.com/

or

http://cobb-bbq.co.uk/

That one!

The cobglobal site has much more information on it. It is US based but a lot
of Brits have posted there too.

snip

I'm not thinking of buying one right now but a friend is very
enthusiastic - she uses it in her kitchen -

I hope she is keeping the kitchen VERY well ventilated - these things give
off carbon monoxide.

and the website said it was good for campers. It would certainly take up
less room in out 10' 'van than the gas barbecue but I wonder if it has the
same capacity.

All I can say to that is that the cooking area is about a foot in diameter.
I can't say if that is enough for you or not, but I use mine for a family of
four without issue.

I got the full kit - the only thing I don't have is the stainless steel
bowl - and everything packs away into a bag just over a foot in diameter and
about the same high. That's the base, lid, all the different cooking
surfaces, gas lighters, fuel, cook book, spoons, spatulas etc.

For a day out I can leave out those bits I don't need and there's room for
fuel and even the food I intend to cook if required.

I'm sure one of those two web sites will have the exact dimensions,
including the weight.

I used to use a gas barbecue - that has now been relegated to the garage.

snipped

You see that was one of my problems with the site, it didn't explain what
a cobblestone was ... or anything really.

It does. Look at the Specifications & Video page of the UK site.
A cobblestone is a fuel brick, an alternative to charcoal briquettes. It is
made, apparently, of coconut fibres impregated with charcoal and looks like
a disk about 4" across of charcoal. It has a coating that acts as the fire
lighter, so you don't need separate fire lighters. That's what smokes like
crazy for a few minutes. Apart from that it acts and looks just like
charcoal except it doesn't disintegrate into dust and ashes when burnt.
It comes in different size boxes, and each one is individually wrapped so
you can pack away just those that you need without everything getting messy.

I need to know more. The company's address is in Bucks but there's no
mention of regional outlets - I'd certainly want to see the thing first and
be able to ask questions. And no, I can't get to the Game Fair or the other
event!

Where did you get yours?

As previously stated I bought mine direct from the UK web site.
For a outlet near you I suggest searching via Google. I know some of the
on-line caravan/camping/motorhome/boating sites are selling them, and most
of those are based on a real world shop you can visit.

Look at the global site - there is a user forum on there that probably has
the answers to any questions you may have.
Or ask your friend that has one?

Old April 26th 08, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Mark Pewsey" wrote in message
om...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

snip

Which site are you looking at Mary?

I know of two:

http://www.cobbglobal.com/

or

http://cobb-bbq.co.uk/

That one!

The cobglobal site has much more information on it. It is US based but a
lot of Brits have posted there too.

snip

I'm not thinking of buying one right now but a friend is very
enthusiastic - she uses it in her kitchen -

I hope she is keeping the kitchen VERY well ventilated - these things give
off carbon monoxide.

She rang the supplier to ask if it would be OK and was told that once it was
lit there'd be no problem.

and the website said it was good for campers. It would certainly take up
less room in out 10' 'van than the gas barbecue but I wonder if it has
the same capacity.

All I can say to that is that the cooking area is about a foot in
diameter. I can't say if that is enough for you or not, but I use mine for
a family of four without issue.

Thanks for that. A foot diameter isn't enough for our purposes.

I got the full kit - the only thing I don't have is the stainless steel
bowl - and everything packs away into a bag just over a foot in diameter
and about the same high. That's the base, lid, all the different cooking
surfaces, gas lighters, fuel, cook book, spoons, spatulas etc.

Impressive!

For a day out I can leave out those bits I don't need and there's room for
fuel and even the food I intend to cook if required.

I'm sure one of those two web sites will have the exact dimensions,
including the weight.

I used to use a gas barbecue - that has now been relegated to the garage.

snipped

You see that was one of my problems with the site, it didn't explain
what a cobblestone was ... or anything really.

It does. Look at the Specifications & Video page of the UK site.

The video didn't work :-(

A cobblestone is a fuel brick, an alternative to charcoal briquettes. It
is made, apparently, of coconut fibres impregated with charcoal and looks
like a disk about 4" across of charcoal. It has a coating that acts as the
fire lighter, so you don't need separate fire lighters. That's what smokes
like crazy for a few minutes. Apart from that it acts and looks just like
charcoal except it doesn't disintegrate into dust and ashes when burnt.
It comes in different size boxes, and each one is individually wrapped so
you can pack away just those that you need without everything getting
messy.

Ah, thanks for that too. Does it smell (like firelighters do) when it's lit?

I need to know more. The company's address is in Bucks but there's no
mention of regional outlets - I'd certainly want to see the thing first
and be able to ask questions. And no, I can't get to the Game Fair or the
other event!

Where did you get yours?

As previously stated I bought mine direct from the UK web site.
For a outlet near you I suggest searching via Google. I know some of the
on-line caravan/camping/motorhome/boating sites are selling them, and most
of those are based on a real world shop you can visit.

That's useful, thanks.

Look at the global site - there is a user forum on there that probably has
the answers to any questions you may have.
Or ask your friend that has one?

I'm thinking of that. She only lives about 20 miles away, we could have a
day out ... the forum too would be interesting.

I really value everything you've said. Thanks again,

Mary